Dreaming, a possible solution for sleeping in MP

bubucaos

I think that the problem of sleeping in MP is the difference of timing for different characters that are playing at the same time.

In SP when you sleep the time acelerates and takes a few seconds for the player and hours for the character.

In MP that is undoable, because time aceleration is undoable. So, the player have necessarily to wait until the character wakes up in game.

The solution i propose is leting the character dreaming.

There, in the realm of dreams, the player can still countinuing playing and the character gaining experience, resting better or having a nightmare and waking up unrested.

That allows to interrupt the dream at any moment and the sleep. Because the character is atacked while sleeping or hear a scary loud noise (traits can affect) or killed in dream.

In The Realm of Dreams, the devs can put the challenges ( I love them, please continue doing more), part of the history,play in another server, play without zeds (alone in the map, ..., boring, ..., i drink bleach and try another dream), being a zombie,cross dreams with other characters that are sleeping at that time, real dragons, ...

That solution someway implies NPCs when they are done. Meanwhile challenges could be fine.

I hope that idea helps or could be recycled to another completely different.

Weird, I had a very similar idea pop into my head yesterday before going to sleep, but I thought of something a lot less complicated : Have boundaries outside the map that you can't access due to black borders, assigned to random cells (obviously within 1 empty cell distance away from actual map). Those cells spawn players in the "challenge 1" map (the tutorial/last stand house) and allows you to battle through zombie armies with an infinite shotgun/pistol ammo. Dreams wouldn't really level up any of your skills or stuff, but will be a fun way to blast quicker through boring "black screen" of sleeping. Once the player "wakes up" the random cell "kicks" the player back into the actual position and deletes every tile associated with that "dream" to free some space.

Actually, dream cells don't even have to use server CPU to render everything in that cell, as it could all be client sided. 

Obviously, the system would require one person to stay asleep while the other player is awake, since otherwise the time could just be skipped like in singleplayer until one of the players wakes up. Also, talented modders could even add more "dream" sequences to blast through, if just "challenge" mode gets tiring to play through each day.

Imo the 2-4 min real time sleep for 30min day time is a good time (depents on traits and how tired you are).

For large MP servers you cant use sleep for skipping the night (waiting 15 min night to pass, or forcing 10+ players to sleep at once is unreal).

We can add a few optins during the sleep depending on traits and how tired you are like:

*can you hear the sound when you sleep (a breaking window can wake you up unless your really tired or sleepy head)

can you wake up faster

*can you "see" whats around you (so you know if it was NPC or Zombie that made that noise)

*other players/NPCs can force you to wake up (if your too tired to do it yourself).

For me the main point of sleeping in MP is to have to find a SAFE spot from time to time and limit our whole map travel without danger. So when you travel from MD to WP you need to plan your stops for a rest or you might get so tired and sleepy that you wont notice that zed just broke window in your room and is about to feast on you.

Those 2-4 min of blank sleep are imo just perfect, they force you to play safe and wont make you bored with long afk time.

SP and MP feel completely different to me because of the loss of sleep.

Finding a safe place to sleep is a massive part of the game.

But on the other hand when I do find time to play computer games I only have 45 mins to an hour :( so I don't want to waste any time doing nothing!

Dream mini games would be awesome but I'm not sure my cheap laptop could handle it?

Both ideas are good, I think the best solution is to let the game admin decide on his server if you'll need realist sleep schedule (mini games like challenges perhaps with bonus like well rested if you do well in the challenge or bad sleep if you die a lot or suffer a lot of panic)

Or

Short sleep for players that won't stand/don't have the time to sleep those 8-12 in game hour.

Said admin could just ask to his playerbase and decide by majority.

Or of course the no sleep situation as it is now, for players that finds the game fine as it is.

Personally I think I'd switch between servers with the first and the second option enabled, I never liked the lack of tiredness in mp even though I understand why is it that hard to implement

Yep, there's three or four ways to do sleep in the end, from minigames, to naps, to realtime . . . It is also a very devisive topic, as Taco says. Don't be surprised if people dissagree.

But we need a way of sleeping in MP, and you can give the option in the server setting option.

I really wish there'll also be a SP-style sleep system, where time accelerates when everyone is at the bed at the same time. This is the perfect system for small groups of people, who play together as a squad on their own private server. I'm not sure how large a marketshare these people really are, but at least for me, it's pretty much the only way how I play.

Having a few different, configurable sleep systems wouldn't be a bad idea, even if it's a bit extra work. One general solution could be configuring the duration required for sleep (for private servers it can be full-time, for public servers it can be 10th of the normal time) and if time acceleration happens when everyone's in the bed at the same time.

I really wish there'll also be a SP-style sleep system, where time accelerates when everyone is at the bed at the same time. This is the perfect system for small groups of people, who play together as a squad on their own private server. I'm not sure how large a marketshare these people really are, but at least for me, it's pretty much the only way how I play.

Having a few different, configurable sleep systems wouldn't be a bad idea, even if it's a bit extra work. One general solution could be configuring the duration required for sleep (for private servers it can be full-time, for public servers it can be 10th of the normal time) and if time acceleration happens when everyone's in the bed at the same time.

That happens in Splitscreen i think, cant remember but if both go to sleep you can advance time.