Explosives have an insignificant fire.

BetaSpectre

When a person tosses a hair spray bottle out of a window and watches it explode, we don't see entire forests catching on fire.

When a person blows up a pipe bomb inside a building the entire house doesn't go poof in flames.

IMO explosives shouldn't cause lingering fires, only molotovs and fire bombs.

SO far I've found pipe bombs to be highly effective against hoards of zombies by lighting them and the forest next to them on fire.

that's meant for balancing. bombs, like guns, are meant to be a resourse for desperate situations, not your main weapon to clear hordes. so you'll have to pay the consequences if you use them improperly, and that's setting everything on fire.

if you can't stand it then you can start a server and play it local, so that you can use admin commands and turn fire spread off, you could also respawn in the same server without losing everything you built.
i think that could be the solution for you, i can't see the system changing anytime soon, not in a direction that would allow players to just eliminate hordes easily. expect the main game to become harder and harder, that's why they added sandbox, and all the option it has to offer (wich are a lot even for the average sandbox mode)

iirc, zombies don't die for fire unless you're watching them, this is due to game mechanics, but they'll still spread the fire, this means you just can't spam bombs in a city unless you're ready to leave it for good.
it makes sense since you'll want to kill hordes in order to get loot from places or protect your safehouse. either ways, the fire will produce more damage to the things you want to secure than whatever the zombies could do, that's why we need fire when you use bombs.
i saw one youtuber trying to use bombs to secure a warehouse for looting, he tried once and never again since everything burned to the ground, and that's good

Once I had 50 pipe bombs and I spammed it in a neighborhood, the only thing that happened was that I burned down 4 houses, a doctor's office, made a path through a forest, and killed all the zombies in the area. The ground was pitch black from the zeds. 

I'm not too sure about the zombies still spreading fire but not dying once they go out of view though.

And what I'm saying is that you can use fire smartly simply don't use it near buildings, its also more quiet then using guns, so you can deal with a small group, or attract a big group and let it kill itself. Alternatively you can use fire in buildings that you don't care about making a place to trade zeds.

The spread of fire kills other zombies just as much as anything near them, but if there's nothing near them only zombies die.

Using fire is better then melee because you don't get tired as much, and you don't attract more zombies, all you need to do is walk or run around. And of course not get burned.

Right now even if pipe bombs didn't have fire attached, they'd make poor crowd control weapons since they don't kill zombies too often, and without the fire you wouldn't know about damage radius. They do epic damage against PEOPLE but not so much zombies some zeds take 3 most take 2 pipes to go down. Then they get replaced by others. The fire kills the zeds more. Right now all the bombs are more or less as useful as the molotovs. Its just that you can now use them like landmines.

I have to disagree, the role for fire in bombs is to prevent you from easily clearing areas with good loot, and it serves its purpose really well. You can of course drag a horde in the middle of nowhere and kil them with fire, but it's just not worth it, they'll respawn in a day or two or migrate in from other areas

I have to disagree, the role for fire in bombs is to prevent you from easily clearing areas with good loot, and it serves its purpose really well. You can of course drag a horde in the middle of nowhere and kil them with fire, but it's just not worth it, they'll respawn in a day or two or migrate in from other areas

actually zombies don't respawn/ migrate as fast as you think. I once used a molotov and a shotgun to clear out zombies near a warehouse. I dragged them away to an open area while firing my shotgun to attract more then I used the molotov to kill the massive horde of about 100-200 zombies. the only thing I destroyed was a small patch of trees, and rarely ever saw any more than 4-5 zombie groups after a few months later.

That's weird, they always respwan pretty fast on my games. Were you in survival mode as well?

Or maybe did you live in the same cell of the warehouse? Zombies can't respawn in the area you live in afaik

After killing 1200-1400 zombies by using fire, they stop migrating, or you WANT them to migrate, because that leaves the city unpopulated. So while the warehouse had 24 zombies, there were none in the city. Also zombies can move to areas where you live even if its far from the city if you attract a horde they then stay there until the horde is wiped all groups.

That's weird, they always respwan pretty fast on my games. Were you in survival mode as well?

Or maybe did you live in the same cell of the warehouse? Zombies can't respawn in the area you live in afaik

yeah I was on survival and my safe house was pretty far away, although now that I think of it it could have been due to that I passed by that area a lot so zombies didn't get too many chances to spawn.

the game is a mix of realism and balance, as stated above, you can't just use bombs to free useful areas easily, you'll burn the place to the ground, that's why fire from bombs is necessary.
if you center your build around being able to gather bombs, i assure you, you'll have a lot of bombs really fast.
since the survival mode supports zombie respawn, it means that you're not supposed to free an area from zombies, so you need a malus to every powerful way to kill them:
- guns: you'll attract more than what you wish
- explosives: you'll burn the area to the ground
either way, the zombies eventually will respawn and take the area back, that's why you can't be allowed to just have a way to clear an area without immediate consequences so that you can loot vital items without any problem, once you have enough rare items you can just live in your safehouse and farm all the time, wich becomes boring and is what devs are fighting against.
you could argue that a bomb is still more loud than a gun, but the bomb will take care of multiple zombies in a single hit, while you need a lot of shots to do the same, wich means more chance to attract more zeds, and the possibility that you might not have enough bullets

the game is a mix of realism and balance, as stated above, you can't just use bombs to free useful areas easily, you'll burn the place to the ground, that's why fire from bombs is necessary.

if you center your build around being able to gather bombs, i assure you, you'll have a lot of bombs really fast.

since the survival mode supports zombie respawn, it means that you're not supposed to free an area from zombies, so you need a malus to every powerful way to kill them:

- guns: you'll attract more than what you wish

- explosives: you'll burn the area to the ground

either way, the zombies eventually will respawn and take the area back, that's why you can't be allowed to just have a way to clear an area without immediate consequences so that you can loot vital items without any problem, once you have enough rare items you can just live in your safehouse and farm all the time, wich becomes boring and is what devs are fighting against.

you could argue that a bomb is still more loud than a gun, but the bomb will take care of multiple zombies in a single hit, while you need a lot of shots to do the same, wich means more chance to attract more zeds, and the possibility that you might not have enough bullets

If you've ever used pipe bombs, they don't kill that many zeds from the blast, you'll need two bombs to reliably kill one zed. Or 20 depending on their grouping. 20 bullets would be faster to kill the zeds, but the attraction of zeds makes bombs useless for anything but a quick fire starter or traps. In emergencies you can't use bombs, they do more damage to you then zeds.

snip

If you've ever used pipe bombs, they don't kill that many zeds from the blast, you'll need two bombs to reliably kill one zed. Or 20 depending on their grouping. 20 bullets would be faster to kill the zeds, but the attraction of zeds makes bombs useless for anything but a quick fire starter or traps. In emergencies you can't use bombs, they do more damage to you then zeds.

i'll try it again, but i remember that bomb being pretty powerful, in fact the most powerful bomb available. i'll let you know if i change my mind as soon as i manage to play a bit.

for now i'm convinced that fire balances the game, as i said, i saw a player trying to capture a warehouse with bombs and i got convinced that fire is the perfect malus for using bombs too lightly

My main problem with bombs, really, is that they're somehow quieter than a gunshot.

that is the only thing wrong i see with this. all the rest makes sense, besides the smoke screen possibly making a slight hissing noise and the bombs making a little noise on impact attracting zombies.

We could really use smoke bombs. :D

My main problem with bombs, really, is that they're somehow quieter than a gunshot.

that is the only thing wrong i see with this. all the rest makes sense, besides the smoke screen possibly making a slight hissing noise and the bombs making a little noise on impact attracting zombies.

We could really use smoke bombs. :D

isn't there one in game. i thought there was.