Pipes are common.

BetaSpectre

Commonly found under sinks, bathtubs, water-heaters, plumbing of a house.

And I just so happen to have this nice sledge hammer!!! 

Basically whenever a tile with pipes in it is deconstructed with either a screwdriver, or a sledge hammer there is a good change it will drop a pipe.

It'd be cool if pipes could be used for more than just bombs, like if you could build fences, irrigation systems, showers, and so forth.

finding powder is really easy, you just need one trip to a gunshop and you'll have a lifestock of powder, you'll have enough for several bombs just by using ammo from those rifles that requires higher aiming skills, then you can use 9mm since it requires a good aiming too, and in the end you can even use shotgun shells since a bomb is more powerful once you gather the horde.
pipes are meant to be rare because that's the most powerful bomb you can craft as far as i know and can't be that easy to obtain.

i don't understand the chopping trees thing, i fail to see the connection. chopping down trees is necessary, and zombies will always target player made buildings, so i don't understand how it breaks the balance

To create indoor plumbing, irrigation, and so forth.

I imagine that its possible to install a water heater, get water from rain, just make a place to store it in like a large Vat.

No reason why pipes need to be rare, and only used for bombs. Maybe make pipe bombs require several screws, and special pipe covers to keep bombs rare even with lots of pipes.

The piping under a sink wouldn't be likely suitable for bomb making anyway. By the early 90s it's typically 3/8 to 1/2 copper tubing with a thin wall or ABS plastic. The copper would likely be good for little more than a noise maker, unlike, what I'm assuming the pipebomb is meant to be constructed of, steel tubing. Just a guess, though.

If plumbing style pipes were differentiated from explsoive-type pipes then it'd make sense well enough. Kind of fine with the game abstracting both plumbing and wiring to "if it's a sink, it has water" and "if it's electrical near a power source, it has power," though. That said, Lemmy has expressed some desire to see a redstone like system in PZ.

It depends on what Project Zomboid is meant to be. If it's simply meant to be a game about being in Kentucky with zombies then pipes should be as common as pipes are common. If the game is meant to be about being in Kentucky with zombies and a god who wants to make things more difficult by making most worldly posessions disappear, then pipes should be rarer that they actually are.

Well of course, as long as it's a different kind of pipes that can't be used for bombs, I vote yes since you think they might be used for a lot of other things.

But actually all the houses in the game are based on wood, they're just painted. I remember a dev pointing this out when he was asked why houses burn to the ground that easily, so I think concrete and bricks won't ever be essential for carpenters in game

Pipes are in plumbing which every house presumably has. They're also used in fences, it'd be nice if these could be "harvested" or scavanged. Like door nobs from doors.

Bricks and concrete would be nice if they could be fire resistant building materials. Rare enough where wood would still be a main building material, but present enough to be used, perhaps to store high value equipment in case of a fire.

The piping under a sink wouldn't be likely suitable for bomb making anyway. By the early 90s it's typically 3/8 to 1/2 copper tubing with a thin wall or ABS plastic. The copper would likely be good for little more than a noise maker, unlike, what I'm assuming the pipebomb is meant to be constructed of, steel tubing. Just a guess, though.

If plumbing style pipes were differentiated from water pipes then it'd make sense well enough. Kind of fine with the game abstracting both plumbing and wiring to "if it's a sink, it has water" and "if it's electrical near a power source, it has power," though. That said, Lemmy has expressed some desire to see a redstone like system in PZ.

Elaborate please?

If plumbing style pipes were differentiated from water pipes then it'd make sense well enough. Kind of fine with the game abstracting both plumbing and wiring to "if it's a sink, it has water" and "if it's electrical near a power source, it has power," though. That said, Lemmy has expressed some desire to see a redstone like system in PZ.

Elaborate please?

Lay out wires and pipes manually, create circuits and basic logic .etc It's one of those "it'd be neat . . . maybe one day" things, though.