IP Config Help

Haptic

Hi, I just had a few questions regarding the running of a server on my own computer. My first question is this :

Is it possible to maintain a server with a dynamic external IP with or without the use of additional software such as Hamachi, etc, etc? 

If not, how does one get around the limitations of IPv4 without purchasing a static IP adress?

The main thing I want to do is simply host a server that runs 24/7 and works. My external IP likes to change 2-3 times a day, I assume that when your external IP changes it makes the saved server unavailable due to the change in IP. How can I host a server from my spare computer with a 24/7 uptime that doesn't screw up the other clients' and the map save?

I appreciate any input.

Would it be possible to get a brief explanation of what I want the Dynamic DNS to do or what it does? I'm sorry my knowledge is just so limited, what does it do to make my server static and do I have to change anything? Would it just be easier to use a third party program?

DNS is the protocol and infrastructure that maps domain names to IP addresses. Dynamic DNS is a method of automatically updating the IP address that a domain points to as needed. So a dynamic DNS service will provide you with a domain name and potentially a piece of software to run on your computer, then make sure that that domain name always points to your network, even if your IP address changes. Instead of giving players an IP address to connect to, they will enter the domain name in the IP field.

One more quick question, I have everything setup correctly ( i believe ) and was wondering do I have to change anything to make it so people can join normally through the public server filter? Or will people have to input the new domain address into the ip field to join? I'd like it to be a seamless public server.

If there's a way I can change my ip for the server to my new domain, I can save potential players the headache of having to save it in such a way on their end. Any idea on how to do that? Also when I save the domain as the IP it shows the server as not responding, however I am able to join and play normally. Could I circumvent that somehow?

Buying a static IP? How about you use the free program from portforward.com, port Forward Network Utilities. Whilst it's a "demo" of sorts, assigning a static IP is free. I've used it since the beginning of time. The only time you need to worry about your IP changing is if you do hard network reboots

You can also change the IP to a domain, but I've never bothered with that so I wouldn't know for sure

Just a suggestion :)