Targeting specific body parts, crippling/mangling of limbs, and internal organ damage

Sykriss

With the locational damage system already implemented in PZ, I feel like the ability to target specific limbs of zombies/dragons/other players and potentially cripple them should definitely be a part of the game. The chance to actually hit what you're targeting would improve depending on either your aiming skill if using a firearm or the appropriate accuracy skill if using a melee weapon; however, the chance to completely miss would also increase, if aiming for a specific arm/leg or the head. This would be useful as you would be able to, for instance, target zombie legs if you were being chased and try to cripple them, giving you a better chance of distancing yourself, or heads, giving you a better chance for a critical hit or kill shot (at the price of an increased chance to miss unless you were highly skilled with the weapon you were using). With the addition of crippled/mangled limbs, you could target arms of other players in multiplayer, disabling their ability to use two handed weapons. If you weren't aiming for anything, the combat system would work as it is now. You could also, if very skilled with your preferred weapon (ideally some sort of long knife, or a firearm), try and aim for vital organs (obviously primarily against NPCs) such as the heart or lungs.

Perhaps this could be a preference in a similar interface to self-applied first aide?  As in, you select the general area you will aim for and get an accuracy rating back, so if you aim for the chest it's higher while if you aim for the head/hands/etc it's lower.

This wouldn't work in MP very well, unless you have to select the body part/organ to shoot in some sort of selection menu before engaging in combat. Even then, it would be difficult to switch to a different body part in a gunfight or CQC.

The way I was envisioning it would be a menu added to the right-click menu you get when clicking anywhere, which would make it very easy to switch where you're aiming on the fly. Right click -> aim -> head/torso/arms/legs. As you become a better shot, each of those options gains sub-options, like brain, heart, lungs, left/right leg/arm, etc. 

Fleshing this out a little bit, you could have a wide variety of effects caused by hitting/being hit in different areas. The chances of hitting an internal organ would vary depending on what weapon you used, being tuned realistically. A kitchen knife would be much more effective at causing internal wounds than, say, a plank. But a plank could break bones and give you a concussion, and you could maintain a higher distance from your target.

• Damage to your brain deals very severe damage, heavily reduces coordination and results in a temporary reduction of all skills. Also reduces action speed and if possible, unconsciousness. 
  • Damage to your arms deals the same amount of damage as it does now, slows down melee attacks, reduces accuracy and reduces the effectiveness of weight reduction when equipping an item. A crippled arm is unusable and disables the ability to wield two handed weapons.
  • Damage to your legs/feet deals the same amount of damage as it does now, but reduces your speed by a lot. A crippled leg acts the same as a broken one.
  • Damage to your lungs deals the same damage as a torso shot, but causes you to get exhausted much faster, as well as causing you to cough up blood (making noise and attracting nearby zeds/players).
  • Damage to your stomach/gut deals the same damage as a torso shot, again, however causes heavy internal bleeding that is irreparable unless you are very skilled with first aid. It also makes food and water less effective in easing your hunger/thirst, and is very likely to become infected.
  • Damage to your heart will deal very severe damage and causes you to become very exhausted, very quickly. The probability of you bleeding out within (IRL) minutes is quite high.

These effects are simply ideas and examples as to what kind of effects could be a result of such a system. With Zomboids emphasis on realism, I feel like this would be an appreciated change, and would also open the doors for even more interesting death stories. As we all know, dying in this game part of the fun :P

Something ala Neo Scavanger would be net, but making calculations for every single thing in real time?

Good luck with that

It wouldn't be more intensive at all, it's not like you're doing many more calculations than the game does currently. You'd be adding a few more numbers to a dice roll, and some if statements that define what happens when these new numbers are rolled.

This wouldn't work in MP very well, unless you have to select the body part/organ to shoot in some sort of selection menu before engaging in combat. Even then, it would be difficult to switch to a different body part in a gunfight or CQC.

The way I was envisioning it would be a menu added to the right-click menu you get when clicking anywhere, which would make it very easy to switch where you're aiming on the fly. Right click -> aim -> head/torso/arms/legs. As you become a better shot, each of those options gains sub-options, like brain, heart, lungs, left/right leg/arm, etc. 

Fleshing this out a little bit, you could have a wide variety of effects caused by hitting/being hit in different areas. The chances of hitting an internal organ would vary depending on what weapon you used, being tuned realistically. A kitchen knife would be much more effective at causing internal wounds than, say, a plank. But a plank could break bones and give you a concussion, and you could maintain a higher distance from your target.

• Damage to your brain deals very severe damage, heavily reduces coordination and results in a temporary reduction of all skills. Also reduces action speed and if possible, unconsciousness. 
  • Damage to your arms deals the same amount of damage as it does now, slows down melee attacks, reduces accuracy and reduces the effectiveness of weight reduction when equipping an item. A crippled arm is unusable and disables the ability to wield two handed weapons.
  • Damage to your legs/feet deals the same amount of damage as it does now, but reduces your speed by a lot. A crippled leg acts the same as a broken one.
  • Damage to your lungs deals the same damage as a torso shot, but causes you to get exhausted much faster, as well as causing you to cough up blood (making noise and attracting nearby zeds/players).
  • Damage to your stomach/gut deals the same damage as a torso shot, again, however causes heavy internal bleeding that is irreparable unless you are very skilled with first aid. It also makes food and water less effective in easing your hunger/thirst, and is very likely to become infected.
  • Damage to your heart will deal very severe damage and causes you to become very exhausted, very quickly. The probability of you bleeding out within (IRL) minutes is quite high.

These effects are simply ideas and examples as to what kind of effects could be a result of such a system. With Zomboids emphasis on realism, I feel like this would be an appreciated change, and would also open the doors for even more interesting death stories. As we all know, dying in this game part of the fun :P

I like the idea of different injuries in different places for different weapons. An expansion and refinement of the current medical system maybe?

Such as getting bruises and breaks over your body after a fight with someone with a 2x4, getting cuts and punctured organs when fighting someone with a knife e.c.t

The whole "VATS" system idea though would be pretty hard to do, especially in real time. Though it would be awesome

Hotkeys would let this work out, but the aiming system would need to change to that of Fallout tactics, or Fonline.

Realtime with isometric needs hotkeys

I could see this as fluff after things are added, like aiming at legs causes zeds to crawl, head shots kill, arm shots make zeds unable to grab.

But most of combat is spent running away from combat or shooting wildly so I doubt people would get too tactical. Though I could see tactics against NPC's being more important.

I like the idea of different injuries in different places for different weapons. An expansion and refinement of the current medical system maybe?

Such as getting bruises and breaks over your body after a fight with someone with a 2x4, getting cuts and punctured organs when fighting someone with a knife e.c.t

The whole "VATS" system idea though would be pretty hard to do, especially in real time. Though it would be awesome

We already have a VATS system, you just can't aim for certain limbs. To add such a feature, you would only need to add modifiers to the probability of hitting targeted limbs. The numbers are all already there. It do not see it being that resource intensive. Dwarf Fortress does it, Fallout: Tactics does it, there are numerous examples of complex, real-time damage systems in existing games. I am honestly tempted to delve into Zomboids code and see how location of a hit is determined as I am almost positive it wouldn't be much more than adding some more numbers to a dice roll and defining what those new numbers would do if rolled.

Edit: And I found it. It's pretty much exactly how I had imagined, although it's even more random than I previously thought (every body part has an equal chance of being hit). There's already pre-existing methods in place to define levels of damage (or anything else you could want) depending on body part hit. See below:

public void DamageFromWeapon(HandWeapon weapon)  {    if (GameServer.bServer)    {      if (weapon != null) {        getParentChar().sendObjectChange("DamageFromWeapon", new Object[] { "weapon", weapon.getFullType() });      }      return;    }    int PartIndex = 0;    int PainType = 1;    PartIndex = Rand.Next(BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Hand_L), BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Groin) + 1);    getParentChar().splatBloodFloorBig(0.4F);    getParentChar().splatBloodFloorBig(0.4F);    getParentChar().splatBloodFloorBig(0.4F);        boolean bleed = true;    if (weapon.getCategories().contains("Blunt"))    {      bleed = false;      PainType = 0;    }    if ((bleed) && (!weapon.isAimedFirearm()))    {      PartIndex = Rand.Next(BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Hand_L), BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.MAX));      SetScratchedFromWeapon(PartIndex, true);    }    float Damage = Rand.Next(weapon.getMinDamage(), weapon.getMaxDamage()) * 15.0F;    if (weapon.isAimedFirearm()) {      ((BodyPart)getBodyParts().get(PartIndex)).damageFromFirearm(Damage * 2.0F);    }///    if (PartIndex == BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Head)) {///      Damage *= 4.0F;///    }///    if (PartIndex == BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Neck)) {///      Damage *= 4.0F;///    }///    if (PartIndex == BodyPartType.ToIndex(BodyPartType.Torso_Upper)) {///      Damage *= 4.0F;///    }    AddDamage(PartIndex, Damage);

It would simply be a matter of adding more code similar to the emboldened snippets, and coding in the results of various limbs/organs being damaged. For the record, I'm not saying that it would be easy for the devs to implement. I'm simply saying that the framework for such a system is already existing, and that it would not be very resource intensive.

Hotkeys would let this work out, but the aiming system would need to change to that of Fallout tactics, or Fonline.

I could see this as fluff after things are added, like aiming at legs causes zeds to crawl, head shots kill, arm shots make zeds unable to grab.

But most of combat is spent running away from combat or shooting wildly so I doubt people would get too tactical. Though I could see tactics against NPC's being more important.

I had the same idea.

But where the hotkeys would be ?

1, It could be like a new floating window (like the inventory) but a small one where are like 3-5 slots where you can bind your keys, for example z,x,c,v to z=head, x=body, c=arms, v=feet.

2, As someone said before, it could be in the health panel (where are the hotkeys which you can choose where to place)

- And it could be for the comfort that if you press "head" option it hits the enemies in the head until you change it to "arms" for example.

- And it would nice for it to be certain change of hitting in the specific body part. (change to hit anything at all + change to hit the specific body part (if this is 70% change and you miss, the hit would go to random body part.. Like arms))

I had the same idea.

But where the hotkeys would be ?

1, It could be like a new floating window (like the inventory) but a small one where are like 3-5 slots where you can bind your keys, for example z,x,c,v to z=head, x=body, c=arms, v=feet.

2, As someone said before, it could be in the health panel (where are the hotkeys which you can choose where to place)

- And it could be for the comfort that if you press "head" option it hits the enemies in the head until you change it to "arms" for example.

- And it would nice for it to be certain change of hitting in the specific body part. (change to hit anything at all + change to hit the specific body part (if this is 70% change and you miss, the hit would go to random body part.. Like arms))

This could work quite well. Another quick and easy way I thought of was to have an entry in the right click menu labelled Aim that, when clicked, brought up a picture of a body similar to the one in the health panel. You could then simply click the part you'd like to aim at and it would disappear.

Right click takes away from time to actually fire, and a drop down menu is really hard to use for larger numbers of enemies. Though for those who never cared for hotkeys I would see it as a feasible option.

That makes sense, though, as it takes a second to aim, and you wouldn't need to use it unless you were trying to change where you were aiming multiple times while being attacked (which probably wouldn't be wise).

It would simply be a matter of adding more code similar to the emboldened snippets, and coding in the results of various limbs/organs being damaged. For the record, I'm not saying that it would be easy for the devs to implement. I'm simply saying that the framework for such a system is already existing, and that it would not be very resource intensive.

If it's so easy, why don't you do it?

Could just be a tiny paper doll placed on the screen, with selectable areas (preferred target, possibly ignored when rapidly firing / moving), rather than buried in a right click context menu or hidden within a menu. Make it togglable so it can be hidden. This would make it easily accessible if you need a targeted shot in a hurry. Click -> Aim -> fire.

Not everyone knows java/lua. if it were so easy, we would have done it already

Could just be a tiny paper doll placed on the screen, with selectable areas (preferred target, possibly ignored when rapidly firing / moving), rather than buried in a right click context menu or hidden within a menu. Make it togglable so it can be hidden. This would make it easily accessible if you need a targeted shot in a hurry. Click -> Aim -> fire.

Agreed, that seems like it would be the best of both worlds.