Creating a Server - Please help!

rottenzombies

Hi I purchased Project zomboid via Steam and have been trying over and over following wikis and support pages on both this forum and Steam community but I can't start a server.

I get errors like  "Cannot connect to p2p server"  or "invalid server password".

Am I unable to create a private server at all if I own a steam version? 

If that's not the case, could anyone please give me a clear step by step to creating a simple private game. Note that I've already followed that guide posted in steam, as well as the Multiplayer FAQ on the PZ website...all do not work for me :( I just want to play with two or three friends.....

Please help me!! Thank you!

First I would like to know if you opened the 16261 and following ports on your modem?Then I need to know if you are trying to open the server in dedicated mode or by the game files? answer this question and try to help you. Hugs

Hi! Hmm I don't think so because I don't really know what that means?  How would I open the 16261 port?

To answer your second question, I'm just trying to create a local server that a couple of friends (well..family members) can hop in and we can try survive the zombie apocolypse together ^.^   I'm not sure what dedicated mode means? I'm not starting based off an existing game file if that's what you mean - just a new world/game?

Thank you so much!!

Hi! Thank you for the link , but I've followed that to a T before and I still can't get it to work.  It would get to a point where it would say while loading a multiplayer in the PZ UI   somethin glike "Authorized with steam" to quote it loosely..but then after a while it would give me that "can't connect to p2p " thing again. *puzzled*

First I would like to know if you opened the 16261 and following ports on your modem?Then I need to know if you are trying to open the server in dedicated mode or by the game files? answer this question and try to help you. Hugs

Hi! Hmm I don't think so because I don't really know what that means?  How would I open the 16261 port?

To answer your second question, I'm just trying to create a local server that a couple of friends (well..family members) can hop in and we can try survive the zombie apocolypse together ^.^   I'm not sure what dedicated mode means? I'm not starting based off an existing game file if that's what you mean - just a new world/game?

Thank you so much!!

Hi! Thank you for the link , but I've followed that to a T before and I still can't get it to work.  It would get to a point where it would say while loading a multiplayer in the PZ UI   somethin glike "Authorized with steam" to quote it loosely..but then after a while it would give me that "can't connect to p2p " thing again. *puzzled*

Well, the first step to open a PZ server is unlock doors in your modem. The port 16261 is the default port the game to other people to access your machine (server), the other ports would be 16262, 16263, 16264 ... Starting from the port 16262 will open as may be the number of players you want on your server. Open doors in modem is a bit hard to explain because I do not know what your modem, but can pick up his model and play on google sure to find some explanatory video of how to do it. The next step, as pointed out by the friend "EnigmaGrey" is to run the server. If you do own the game files should follow the instructions:
Go to the game directory and run the file "ProjectZomboidServer". It will start your server by opening a black window cmd who had asked him a adm password. You will choose a password and enter and confirm your password then. When you and your friends are entering the server should do the following:
Open Steam, click the right mouse button on the library project zomboide; Properties; set boot options and write "-nosteam" without quotes. Now just start the game and have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Uhm, I don't intend to come across as rude, but when will making a server/playing privately with friends, be easier than this? I've never had to 'go into my modem' and 'open ports', and 'open .bat' files, and go through all this rigamorale, just to play a co-op game with friends.

I've followed numerous guides, gone into my modem, and opened ports (something I've never done hitherto), and even then I can't play with friends. (When I do  the canyouseeme.com website, connection times out on the opened ports).

So basically, when will co-op and multiplayer be less arduous to set up?

Minecraft and Terreria, two popular games with a multiplayer component, both required port forwarding (or still do). It's not something unique to PZ. It's just that often router manufacturers only provide rules for very popular software in their default setup.

Ports will still be shown as blocked if the server isn't running, and sites like canyouseeme.com aren't always accurate.

Can you take a screenshot of both the server console and the client's console after attempting to connect?

I will tomorrow after work. Thank you for the assistance.

While it is no doubt true that other games have similar freatures, I'm just curious when/if PZ programmers have plans to make it co-op play easier to begin? For instance, send a steam invite, and play with friends, a la Left 4 Dead 2, or RE5-6?

• 3 weeks later...

I am with anarchoCB on being unable to create a server for multiplayer LAN.  I an do it with the -nosteam command, but I shouldn't have to.  I want to take advantage of the integrated workshop but can't.  I followed the linked steam guide and did everything it said but there is no way to set a password or even have people find it.  It is ridiculous.

I am with anarchoCB on being unable to create a server for multiplayer LAN.  I an do it with the -nosteam command, but I shouldn't have to.  I want to take advantage of the integrated workshop but can't.  I followed the linked steam guide and did everything it said but there is no way to set a password or even have people find it.  It is ridiculous.

If it's not showing up on the Steam server list, it's not communicating with the Steam servers, meaning no one could connect to it. Port 8766 (?) needs to be open for Steam enabled servers, as in the guide (all ports necessary for Steam can be seen here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711&l=english). There's not much else I can suggest, if it's just the Steam version that's not working.

It should be noted that this is a P2P port. Some ISPs (or network administrators, if this ia business/school computer or network) block 'em. Same with antiviruses.