water collecting and walls without carpentry

DreadLordNaf

It's been raised many times but I still think its worth emphasizing: we shouldnt need to be forced into carpentry in this game unless we want to build our own buildings or furniture from scratch.  You shouldnt need carpentry specifically for alternative basic walls or water collecting.  

Zombie apocalypse lore from films and stories shows survivors managing quite well without carpentry skill.  I mean when is the last time you can even remember a zombie show where one of the chars was a carpenter?

Water collecting without carpentry: 

T28DAYS_LATER169-7.jpg

In-game suggestion: cooking pots, buckets, etc, left out in the rain would gather tainted water in the rain.  Rain collectors would still be useful as they gather much more, and thus would support things like farming better.

Effective walls and barricades that didn't require much carpentry:

article-2603613-1D1277C200000578-430_964

In-game suggestion: While there aren't tires in the game, there are a lot useless items.  You should be able to take almost any number of items, some sheet rope or ripped sheets to tie them, and then bundle them all together and make a small or large "pile of junk" you can stack 4 of them together (or whatever number is appropriate) to make junk walls out of.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/15319-water-collection-without-carpentry/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/16558-stone-walls-and-reinforced-doors/page-2?hl=%2Bwalls#entry207921

2 second search, or even flipping like 3 pages back in suggestions gives the exact same topic, even with same picture

Please don't double post if you can avoid it, it clogs the forums

Well they aren't exactly the same, that previous water one was just water, and wall one was on stone walls.

Seems like really they need a better suggestion tracker feature here, like they do with bugs.  Then they can mark the threads like things "rejected, accepted, thinking on, etc."

This would help thread clutter more than anything.  Right now people dont know if they rejected or ignored it, or just didn't see their suggestion. And so probably think to themselves if they re-suggest but with a slight variation maybe that would be better.

Well they aren't exactly the same, that previous water one was just water, and wall one was on stone walls.

Seems like really they need a better suggestion tracker feature here, like they do with bugs.  Then they can mark the threads like things "rejected, accepted, thinking on, etc."

This would help thread clutter more than anything.  Right now people dont know if they rejected or ignored it, or just didn't see their suggestion. And so probably think to themselves if they re-suggest but with a slight variation maybe that would be better.

To be fair, people are supposed to put tags on their posts so people can find them easier, and in that sense it's not really your fault, but I get the feeling that you didn't really search at all.  I also noticed that you yourself put your junk idea in the reinforced wall forum lol

I totally like the idea, I'm just trying to show you that you don't have to clutter the forums

If things like junk walls were to be implemented, I think all 'junk items' should be split into categories based on their weight. In order to make a structurally sound wall, you'd need 3 (or more) different items that are more than or equal to a set mass, with one of the items being a 'heavy' class junk item. This would prevent people from spamming small junk items to make a bunch of junk walls, at the very least. Still, not a fan of that idea.

I am still all for standard water collection methods like just using a bucket but not gather more than 1/4's worth from rainfall that's still tainted.

If things like junk walls were to be implemented, I think all 'junk items' should be split into categories based on their weight. In order to make a structurally sound wall, you'd need 3 (or more) different items that are more than or equal to a set mass, with one of the items being a 'heavy' class junk item. This would prevent people from spamming small junk items to make a bunch of junk walls, at the very least. Still, not a fan of that idea.

I am still all for standard water collection methods like just using a bucket but not gather more than 1/4's worth from rainfall that's still tainted.

Get me a isometric bucket sprite that works ingame, empty and filled, and I'll add it to my movable fridge mod lateron, that way you can place it, and still pick it back up, keeping it's contents. :)

• 2 weeks later...