Balancing the soon to be feature of craftable medicine

ughughugh

As I understand it Romain Dron is working on a new feature and we'll be able to gather some plants in the woods and to craft some medicine. Anyway, as it is getting easier to treat your wounds, wounds should obviously more likely.

Back then, when the medical system got more complicated, I fully expected to injure myself from chopping down trees, sawing and the like. But it never ever happened.

Even though getting bitten by zombies should be the number one cause of your death, I think there is too much of a focus on it. Someone who has never crafted anything with his hands will obviously injure himself, especially so as you can be hungry and thirsty and exhausted and working in a badly lighted room. I have no idea what the actual numbers should be, but a little bit of common sense like the above mentioned example should serve as a guideline.

The same should apply after the animation update. Imagine you're running past 50 trees in a t-shirt. You should suffer a scratch and that can possibly turn into an infection. 

Anyway, you get the gist of it. More injuries, because more treatment methods and other ways of dying than just zombie bites.

More injuries: sure, death from non zombie bites: Hell no. I mean besides from what we already; have dying from fracture, I dont really think its a good idea. Foraging will take you to far away places, and I really don't want to have to walk through trees, do you have any idea how slow that is?

I said running through trees in a t-shirt. You can already wear a jumper and I don't think you should suffer scratches just because you are running through trees. Add to that wearing a t-shirt and being tired. The game is obviously far away from completion and the balancing will come later. I find it lackluster that already existing features are not really in use.

• 4 months later...

I like this idea. I don't play online, but with my offline-non-Doctor-characters, I never got beyond a first aid skill of Level 1 (and they had a few maxed out skills...).
So I imagine the doctor-profession is not very attractive to most players.

If you would get a "normal" scratch from time to time, it would make medicinal profession much more usefull, I think. Additionally, they should make the "herbal" skill only available to doctors (although not automatically including it). In that way, doctors would be the only ones who would be able to help people with scratches without alcohol, desinfectants and such.

If you would get a "normal" scratch from time to time, it would make medicinal profession much more usefull, I think. Additionally, they should make the "herbal" skill only available to doctors (although not automatically including it). In that way, doctors would be the only ones who would be able to help people with scratches without alcohol, desinfectants and such.

I disagree with this bit. I know a few people who are not doctors, but are learned on natural medicine. I myself, despite not being a medical doctor, am trying garlic as a remedy for a mouth ulcer, following the advice of a book.