How to run a steam server windows?

Nero's Shadow

After trying multiple methods. Resetting everything. And going again. No one is giving clear instructions on how to run and connect to the server.
I am running windows. Downloaded and successfully ran the SteamCMD and its app update for the dedicated server. Now what. Every port on my router is open, so port forwarding is irrelevant. I do have workshop items as well, hydrocraft ect. I saw them update uwhen i ran app_update from steam cmd so until i can check the server that seems to be in order. How do I run the server. How do i configure it. How do i connect to it. How do others connect to it. I have Hamachi if it helps at all.

Keep in mind i have NEVER had any sort of server running.

Assume if it i didnt say it in the post, I havent done it.

*EDIT

To clarify, I want to run a server, that anyone can join, including myself on the same computer.

Run the StartServer32.bat or StartServer64.bat in the folder you download the server, and when its running you have to conect to your public ip.

The config files of the server are created after you run the server and choose your admin password in c:\users\(yourwindowsusername)\zomboid\server

Close the server, set your settings, and run it again.

Run the StartServer32.bat or StartServer64.bat in the folder you download the server, and when its running you have to conect to your public ip.

The config files of the server are created after you run the server and choose your admin password in c:\users\(yourwindowsusername)\zomboid\server

Close the server, set your settings, and run it again.

Dont have either of those files. i have ProjectZomboidServer.bat

and PZServerSettings.exe

Ok, i got to this point 2 weeks ago when i tried it. but this wasall set up for a nosteam server, and it didnt work, i want to make a steam server, or try rather

Sorry about that, Nero. I should have posted this yesterday: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514493377

The game itself is 108600 while the server is 380870, as you can see in the guide. :) It must also be downloaded as anonymous.

I still cannot connect to it or get anoyone to join after running startserver64.bat

says it connected to steam ok in the lua, and that the server is running and listening on the right port. Port forwarding i know isnt my problem because i have all of them open.

Please dont forget about me D:

So I had troubles with this too. Here's what you need to know.

When you have steam, and you install steam games on your computer you can browse them through the program, right? 

The server files that the PZ team left inside the GAME folder (the one you have from downloading PZ through steam "ProjectZomboidServer.bat") is not the same as the new server. If you are running ProjectZomboidServer.bat you need to get the newer version. This is pretty annoying to figure out.

Every application on steam has a unique ID. Project zomboid (and their old server that hasn't been removed from the code yet, which is what you still see) is App ID 108600.

Since you (most likely) only have the graphical interface of steam (you go to the store and buy games and they show up in your account), you need to download the command line version of steam for windows. You can learn how to do that here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Windows

Once you have opened up SteamCMD in command prompt, you can now download your games over command line by logging in through command line, or logging in anonymously. The new server that Project Zomboid uses doesn't require you to log in to download it, so we can do that anonymously.

In SteamCMD, you can grab any program that you can download anonymously using these commands:

login anonymousforce_install_dir C:\FOLDERFORNEWSTEAMAPPapp_update APPID validatequit

So to start a PZ Server, it should be as simple as:

1.) Download SteamCMD

2.) Extract Zip and put it in a new folder like C:\steamcmd\ before running because it will download more files.

3.) Double click steamcmd.exe

4.) Enter in these commands one line at a time (except for the lines with the //// in them):

login anonymousforce_install_dir C:\PZServer///////// Use below line for regular version of PZ Serverapp_update 380870 validate///////// Or, instead of using above line, use below line for beta version of PZ Server. Need beta game client alsoapp_update 380870 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword (find-the-password-yourself-put-it-here) -validatequit

5.) Open up ports

UDP: 8766, 16261

TCP: 16262-16270 (or however many more players you want)

6.) Start server at C:\pzserver\StartServer64.bat or StartServer32.bat

7.) Play

8.) ???

9.) Profit!

Please dont forget about me D:

So I had troubles with this too. Here's what you need to know.

When you have steam, and you install steam games on your computer you can browse them through the program, right? 

The server files that the PZ team left inside the GAME folder (the one you have from downloading PZ through steam "ProjectZomboidServer.bat") is not the same as the new server. If you are running ProjectZomboidServer.bat you need to get the newer version. This is pretty annoying to figure out.

Every application on steam has a unique ID. Project zomboid (and their old server that hasn't been removed from the code yet, which is what you still see) is App ID 108600.

Since you (most likely) only have the graphical interface of steam (you go to the store and buy games and they show up in your account), you need to download the command line version of steam for windows. You can learn how to do that here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Windows

Once you have opened up SteamCMD in command prompt, you can now download your games over command line by logging in through command line, or logging in anonymously. The new server that Project Zomboid uses doesn't require you to log in to download it, so we can do that anonymously.

In SteamCMD, you can grab any program that you can download anonymously using these commands:

login anonymousforce_install_dir C:\FOLDERFORNEWSTEAMAPPapp_update APPID validatequit

So to start a PZ Server, it should be as simple as:

1.) Download SteamCMD

2.) Extract Zip and put it in a new folder like C:\steamcmd\ before running because it will download more files.

3.) Double click steamcmd.exe

4.) Enter in these commands one line at a time (except for the lines with the //// in them):

login anonymousforce_install_dir C:\PZServer///////// Use below line for regular version of PZ Serverapp_update 380870 validate///////// Or, instead of using above line, use below line for beta version of PZ Server. Need beta game client alsoapp_update 380870 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword (find-the-password-yourself-put-it-here) -validatequit

5.) Open up ports

UDP: 8766, 16261

TCP: 16262-16270 (or however many more players you want)

6.) Start server at C:\pzserver\StartServer64.bat or StartServer32.bat

7.) Play

8.) ???

9.) Profit!

Ok, i had done all that, all my ports are open, started it, i cant join it

also bless you for responding lol

Can you post a screenshot of all you've port forwarded? Just went through this with someone on Steam, where it turned out the port forwarding was simply pointing to the wrong computer. IP addresses do change on local area networks, sometimes. You can grab yours by opening an elevated command prompt and typing ipconfig. The IPv4 is the address of your computer.

Alright, i disabled my DMZ and used the specific ports, all 4 pics are on one page

http://imgur.com/a/0vrjC

Sry to ask for more pics, but will you do this?

1.) Start the server, take a screenshot at the end of the CMD window so we can see what it ends with.

2.) Try to join the server with public IP and take a picture of client side CMD window.

3.) Try to join the server with LAN IP and take a picture of client side CMD window.

4.) Go back to server CMD window and take a picture of end of it after steps 2 and 3. (so we can see if it's at least trying to connect)

Hope we can figure it out >:D

Ok so I figured I would jump on this topic.  I just setup a server, which has been the hardest server I've ever dealt with.  I have followed everything already in this thread yet my server still shows as not responding.  I had a server working as a non-steam server but I figured I would set it up as a steam server.  My screenshots look the same as Nero's albeit with a different public IP.  

I have a business class internet connection with a block of static IP's I already have a minecraft and terraria server running, although they are not steam servers.

Any additional hints?  are there IP's that are not included in the instructions above?

Steam servers have to be able to communicate with Steam. If your network blocks that communication, you won't be able to create a Steam-enabled server, and thus get the not responding message (Do you see it listed in the server list?). These are the Steam ports: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

I haven't seen that page.  It seems most of those ports are outbound only?  I have nothing being blocked outbound.  For my inbound rules I have the following.

srA3Ief.png

WmHKyvJ.png

Ah-ha. Misread your post as a businesss connection that may have a large number of blocked ports. :-D

Ah no.  I have my game servers running with my office network.  I have a rack of Servers all running VM's.  It's good to be the owner sometimes.

Are you trying to connect to the server with the public IP address, rather than the LAN IP? It might help to have both fields filled in, regardless when trying to connect.

Do you see the attempt to connect in the server's console?

Well I am on the same network so per instructions I found I was putting in the public IP, but then also the local IP under the local IP box.  I have tried all combinations of local and public IP in both as well as leaving local blank.  The console gives a server not responding type error.

Screenshots galore.  First Showing the server console with public IP.

Second showing in game server settings

Third showing the client console

Fourth showing the server console.  Server shows no signs of anything attemping to connect.

The frustrating thing is I made a non-steam server work.  I just don't want everyone to have to add -nosteam to their parameters to connect.

ge59lE5.png

Di5mNkM.png

B8MbHqo.png

qNoCcqL.png