Crafting Gunpowder, Refilling gun shells

educapeta

why not crafting gunpowder? And it is technically possible so why not making that option in the game? it is needed 3 fundamentals ingredients, charcoal - potassium nitrate - sulfur. the potassium is found in fertilizes or cold packs by , filtering in water solution, or you could get grass, pee on it, let it dry for 1 week, take all the grass,mix it with hot water, then by boiling the water, you would get the potassium nitrate. the sulfur is more difficult, foraging pyrite(common kind of rock), you would have to heat it in a metal pipe, after burning, you just take the sulfur acid deposited around the interior of the pipe. with the three separated materials, mixing the crushed charcoal with the sulfur and some alcoohol, the potassium with some water in a separate recipient, mix and heat them up in a same recipient, let it dry and it is done!

how we could see, it is a challenge, but how much possibilities would we have? a completely different view from an Apocalypse, but i think if that could be done, it would be the first game in the world with realistic perspective from long term survivalness

crush charcoal = crushed charcoal

make a bale of straw-put on ground - pee ... wait a week. pick it up - craft solution of water and straw - hit it up - potassium nitrate

forage - find a pyrite rock - crush rock - put crushed rock in a pipe recipient - hit it up at 800 c (any method u want, as blowtorch or gas(hairspray)) - Sulfur

crushed charcoal + Sulfur + any type of alcohol (disinfectant, whiskey,...) = solution 1

potassium nitrate + water = solution 2

solution 1 and solution 2 in a recipient - heat it normally up - dry it(any way u want) - done

videos:  part 1

part 2

potassim nitrate(in spanish sorry) 

THINKING BIG, REALLY THANK YOU

Oh dear god, please please give people some brains.

man, i dont think so, i did know that charcoal + sulfur + potassim + alcohool = gunpowder, and there is books that teach you how to make explosives (fight club), and man, that would be awesome!

First:

There is a difference between gunpowder (what is used in todays cartridges) and blackpowder (the stuff was primarily used for muzzle loaders up until the 19th century). The "recipe" you mentioned is for blackpowder. While blackpowder may work to a certain degree with modern shotguns, it most definitly will cause all kinds of trouble when used in a semi automatic pistol.

Second:

The "recipes" for explosives in books like fight club are almost always complete and utter garbage. This is usually intentional, as some morons will try these things out and in order to avoid any lawsuits, crucial ingredients are replaced with things that will botch the process. Gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate? This is ridiculous. Frozen orange juice concentrate is mostly water and fruit sugar. This will just reduce the burning power of the gasoline.

In the book they even suggest drilling holes into the barrel of a pistol, to silence the gun and make the bullets subsonic. Another ludicrous idea.

Third:

One of the few things that are "chemically" correct in the book is that nitroglycerine can be made with glycerin and nitric acid. What they don't tell you, is that if you do it this way, you need water free glycerine and pure nitric acid to get just low yields. Most of the time nitric acid is about 70% pure, which means it contains 30% water. On top of that when the nitric acid and the glycerin molecules combine to form a nitroglycerin molecul, they also create three molecules of water. Why is this important? Well, when the ratio of water reaches a certain threshold, the nitroglycerin molecules will break up again and refuse to react to form new nitroglycerin molecules. In other words you get pretty much your base ingredients back in a watery solution.

Fourth:

Even having the proper recipes does not mean you can make the stuff safely. What you need to properly make nitroglycerin, is sulphuric acid, which you mix with the nitric acid. If you mix it with glcerin the way it is shown in the movie, then you will most certainly kill yourself. Another little thing that isn't mentioned in these books is, that this reaction is exothermic, which means it generates heat. Another little fun fact is, that nitroglycerin is very unstable, when in an acidic environment and can be set off by heat. So if you dump these things together in your bathtub, like they did in the movie, it most certainly will go boom. And if you are lucky and don't get killed by the explosion, the acids will make sure to leave some nice marks on you.

i never redden fight club, i'm kidding about the book, it says how to do dinamite, basing on the videos, why not possible? it makes sense, the gunpowder is, lets say rude, but had u seen the video? why does that guy says? in the begiining of the 1 video, and dudes, why are u guys angry kkkkkkkkkkkk, like just, incredible how u guys can be so arrogant heuheuehueheuheuehu

I would support this, but only if you took a profession to have the recipe.

And/Or you would have to find a different book to gain the recipe for each ingredient, then the final recipe(So like, 5 different books?).

AND: There should also be a recipe to mix already refined materials into powder (Example, chemical grade ingredients from school labs and gun stores) that is easy to find.

And/Or the handmade gunpowder is only suitable for things like muskets and older guns (Such as shotguns) and you would require several tools to refine it to the point of being used in proper bullets. The 'Rough' bullets could also be a little less accurate and deal slightly less damage.

Edit: As well everyone, please be good to each other, no flame wars please.

and one more, i noticed that people usually buy just the gunpowder, and refill their empty shells, and that its not necessarily for rough guns, you could shot with any gun, but what changes is the power, and not the accuracy, because it depends from the length of the barrel   

and one more, i noticed that people usually buy just the gunpowder, and refill their empty shells, and that its not necessarily for rough guns, you could shot with any gun, but what changes is the power, and not the accuracy, because it depends from the length of the barrel   

True, factory quality would not impact the attributes of the firearm, but I was talking handmade (From charcoal, potasium, etc) The mythbusters tried to hand make some and did 'ok' but it was not equivalent to today's power. It would work, but it would leave the gun dirty and not have quite the punch we are used to. Hand made would work best in musket and paper cartridge weapons, as these older models handle the dirt and heavy 'black smoke' powder much better.

As well to Leetgamerboi

Shells don't explode, reloading bullet shells and casings is very common among enthusiasts. It is usually done with a few tools but it can be done by hand and hand-tools. Bullet casings can be reused many times and shotgun shell hulls can be reloaded as well (Though I don't know exactly how many times)

they are not blowed up dude, just the projectile

, thank you jericosh

Have you ever seen a spent cartrige?

It's dented and expanded beyond the size of the projectile.

A shotgun shell just becomes shredded in the front.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reload-Ammo

Here, read this.

Yes some do deform too much, however they are in the lesser category of casings. most games assume that all spent casings are valid.

I think that making weapon grade ammo from scratch would be a tough task to say the least, but definitely doable with enough experience and books laying about. 

But the main purpose of making gunpowder would be for traps, and bombs. Anything that goes boom would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Snip

Tell me, would you have any idea of how to craft gunpowder without watching a Youtube video?

Or would you know where to find those ingredients without internet?

The only way you could make that stuff is if there was a chemist profession, or reading those books that were to "prepare for the end of the world!" kind

So you need the recipe, as a lot of things in this game, don't you?

"Chemistry Paper teachs you how to make your own powder"