InSayne Companionship - An NPC companion.

MisterInSayne

I see a lot of posting from OP in this topic that could have been put into working on NPCs instead.

What a letdown. This is what I've been waiting for for two days now? I bet he's even playing other games on the side!

All the best, dude! Looks like it could turn out really coolski

Oh yes... I forgot, part of taking on this mod request was abandoning working and having a social life... also sleeping, eating, and well, pretty much anything but working on this! I should've read the small text! D:

Hahaha <3 :P

Well, this all originates from a request from miss DemonXelo, found at http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/16455-a-reason-for-doing-what-we-do-request/

So, if I get it right, coding wise you want an ingame stationary object that has a sprite of a human, with menu options and properties that degrade over time which you need to keep up such as hunger etc? Doable!

Yes! XD Something to just make life a little more livable in PZ, not sure about stationary, but if that's the only way, it's what it has to be since there are no npc's :c, but It is doable?! YES!! :D

If you can do this that would be even more amazing then portable fridges! (And that's amazing!)

And I agree, If you can do this, that'd be AMAZING! xD!!

I'll first finish the portable fridges, then first do some tests with making my own npc's (or well, companions), and if the tests are unsuccesfull, it'll be a stationary object.

So no promises for making it anything but a stationary object. But I will give it a try <3

Yay I love you! :D Good luck!

Gonna do some tests today ^__^ I'll let you know what comes out!

Sooo... First tests are VERY promising and sucessful!

2015_09_27_00001.jpg

Now, my plan is to make a companion NPC that does basic things, but generally just follows you around. The companion will need feeding, sleeping, etc. I don't know how far I can push this, but I don't see any limits so far.

If you have any questions, by any means, ask them :D

And yes... I am a wizard!

Updated info:

Second part of the testing is done!

2015_09_27_00008.jpg

I can make the NPC follow me around, say things, and pretty much everything! So, the NPC Companion mod is now confirmed, and will be made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current problem: The npc's don't get saved, so despawn when the save/game is reloaded (and possibly when the cell the npc is located in gets unloaded.

Main focus right now is on trying to make is save itself to the world, or to use a dummy place holder when it unloads and use that to reload itself when loaded back in. Still exploring options and their efficiency :)

NPC release date :Xmas 2015 ? mwuahahahahah :D very brilliant work ! :) can't wait to see this mod in the workshop !

Well, this all originates from a request from miss DemonXelo, found at http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/16455-a-reason-for-doing-what-we-do-request/

So, if I get it right, coding wise you want an ingame stationary object that has a sprite of a human, with menu options and properties that degrade over time which you need to keep up such as hunger etc? Doable!

Yes! XD Something to just make life a little more livable in PZ, not sure about stationary, but if that's the only way, it's what it has to be since there are no npc's :c, but It is doable?! YES!! :D

If you can do this that would be even more amazing then portable fridges! (And that's amazing!)

And I agree, If you can do this, that'd be AMAZING! xD!!

I'll first finish the portable fridges, then first do some tests with making my own npc's (or well, companions), and if the tests are unsuccesfull, it'll be a stationary object.

So no promises for making it anything but a stationary object. But I will give it a try <3

Yay I love you! :D Good luck!

Gonna do some tests today ^__^ I'll let you know what comes out!

Sooo... First tests are VERY promising and sucessful!

2015_09_27_00001.jpg

Now, my plan is to make a companion NPC that does basic things, but generally just follows you around. The companion will need feeding, sleeping, etc. I don't know how far I can push this, but I don't see any limits so far.

If you have any questions, by any means, ask them :D

And yes... I am a wizard!

Updated info:

Second part of the testing is done!

2015_09_27_00008.jpg

I can make the NPC follow me around, say things, and pretty much everything! So, the NPC Companion mod is now confirmed, and will be made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current problem: The npc's don't get saved, so despawn when the save/game is reloaded (and possibly when the cell the npc is located in gets unloaded.

Main focus right now is on trying to make is save itself to the world, or to use a dummy place holder when it unloads and use that to reload itself when loaded back in. Still exploring options and their efficiency :)

NPC release date :Xmas 2015 ? mwuahahahahah :D very brilliant work ! :) can't wait to see this mod in the workshop !

Hahaha, that would be an amazing date :P

This looks awesome! Thank you for all your hard work!

You should talk to Hydromancer regarding some of these codes youve got going for these NPCs of yours. Following, feeding, etc. Sounds perfect for the Dogs introduced in Hydromancers Hydrocraft.

PS. Another use could be a simplistic version of it on the livestock from hydrocraft, cows/goats etc. Making them move about a little. The zombie herd/gang code could maybe work with this. (In the lua i saw it mention they were to follow a designated leader.)

Then you could have cows walking around together when we place em in barns or whatever we make for em) (Making milking them the shittiest speed minigame ever...hmm..)

This looks awesome! Thank you for all your hard work!

You should talk to Hydromancer regarding some of these codes youve got going for these NPCs of yours. Following, feeding, etc. Sounds perfect for the Dogs introduced in Hydromancers Hydrocraft.

PS. Another use could be a simplistic version of it on the livestock from hydrocraft, cows/goats etc. Making them move about a little. The zombie herd/gang code could maybe work with this. (In the lua i saw it mention they were to follow a designated leader.)

Then you could have cows walking around together when we place em in barns or whatever we make for em) (Making milking them the shittiest speed minigame ever...hmm..)

Thank you so much <3 Dogs and wildlife were one of the first things suggested to me on this thread actually!

I personally think that would be the best application for this mod possible, especially the dog. My main issue is that I need a fully animated spriteset for them, and that's something I can't really do myself. :(

Hydrocraft doesn't (or well hardly) has any coding however, it's mainly recipe's to make things have a function. Recipe's are a database, in .txt form, coding is .lua.

I am trying trying to get permission from hydromancer to add intigration of his mod's items into most of my mods however, and am eager to start, it's just waiting for him to give me the okay for it :)

Unrelated to that, here is a fun finding for everyone, which I found during my search through the coding of the game!

Appearently there is a setting in SystemDisabler called doSurvivorCreation which is set to off by default when you start a game... I haven't noticed it doing anything so far, but... it seems interesting. The other values in it are all on, so I guess it doesn't work because there is something else missing, or it needs to be turned on before a certain point? All speculations for now, and no further test will be done on this. But I figured I would let people know about it :P

Edit: This took me waay to long to find, but I finally found the part of the game that I needed to do make everything work the way I want! :D Unfortunetly I am preoccupied all day tomorrow, but I'm very excited right now! <3

Edited by MisterInSayne

i don't see why the devs don't just roll build 33 out with the npc component as is-live.

Just have them as an option in sandbox.

We wouldn't care if they were buggy very much. 

I mean, it IS a testing branch, bugs are to be expected, and fixed as we go on.

Don't even start that here! >__>

NPC's NPC's NPC's

4wwUI3R.jpg

xD

sniffing out loot would be asking alot i think Mr.Stio89. 

It would have to scan containers within a radius and then have some scripted signal whenever it found some items set in the script. 

This sounds quite strenuous for the server, and it would mean locking all the containers you run by with their loot. (they generate it when you get close usually)

sniffing out loot would be asking alot i think Mr.Stio89.

It would have to scan containers within a radius and then have some scripted signal whenever it found some items set in the script.

This sounds quite strenuous for the server, and it would mean locking all the containers you run by with their loot. (they generate it when you get close usually)

Not necessarily, ORGM does something like this for its gun spawns, actually. Things like search algorithms move at lightning speed compared to pathfinding 40 zombies.

Yay! Living zombies are on the horizon!

This is promising, even if it ends up being a barebones basic ass semi-braindead NPC it's going to be really great for single player roleplaying stuff like taking care of an injured loved one or something, it's a thing I've wanted to be able to do for a while. Plenty of possible hours to waste with this one.

How is progress going :D

Hey ! so.... how's the project going?.... :) need any hardcore testers :P ?..

Slow, nearly everything there is to NPC's is undocumented, or hard coded in java. The main problem I'm facing atm is possibly needing to write my own "Line of Sight" code, because for some reason they are blind atm, and can't see zombies, likewise are the zombies completely ignoring them. At least I can get the npc's to attack them by forcing them to attack the Z's... But I would've liked it if they could detect them by themselves. :/

Yay! Living zombies are on the horizon!

This is promising, even if it ends up being a barebones basic ass semi-braindead NPC it's going to be really great for single player roleplaying stuff like taking care of an injured loved one or something, it's a thing I've wanted to be able to do for a while. Plenty of possible hours to waste with this one.

That's the best way to look at it indeed ^__^ They'll get more advanced each time I crack a piece of the internal systems by continuesly lobbing different syntaxes at it untill something does something :P But they'll be semi-braindead untill I unlock the right parts, or code those parts myself.

I can supply a rigged dog in the style of Project Zomboid, totally coincidental. I made it for an animation project that I'm actually still working on for college, but I'll happily share it out.

hXOMG7u.png

I already posted this in the General Creativity thread, but people don't often check there. :D

Also, ignore the stand. That's for presentation purposes. It's a Border Collie (duh) and I also have a Golden Labrador variant. I remember seeing Fuji messing around with making sprites from 3D models, something I've wanted to try for quite some time. If he's willing, I'll give him this and perhaps we could make some sprites for you to use! :)

I can supply a rigged dog in the style of Project Zomboid, totally coincidental. I made it for an animation project that I'm actually still working on for college, but I'll happily share it out.

hXOMG7u.png

I already posted this in the General Creativity thread, but people don't often check there. :D

Also, ignore the stand. That's for presentation purposes. It's a Border Collie (duh) and I also have a Golden Labrador variant. I remember seeing Fuji messing around with making sprites from 3D models, something I've wanted to try for quite some time. If he's willing, I'll give him this and perhaps we could make some sprites for you to use! :)

That... *____* would be fricking amazing! And my personal dream for PZ, to have an actual dog companion!

-image snip-

That... *____* would be fricking amazing! And my personal dream for PZ, to have an actual dog companion!

Tell me the sprite sizes and I'll make it happen, buddy. :)

05b06f540edf21db2edd7ed0168f0b33.jpg

As promised, here is the first look at the mod's insides (stripped of all the debug code and systems that are being worked on). It's not much that is fully implimented at the moment, but I figured people are eager to get a first taste, and love to do some bug testing. (The actual version I have has 10 times as much code, but isn't usable for testers, so I removed it for the test version)

Please note, this 'hello world' version does not represent the final thing, and is for testing only. I trust you all to report any bugs, errors, or other things directly to me or to this thread. <3

I hope you enjoy!

Temporary Download Location:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wp8-w7flMOdVpLamx4TUl2ejA/view?usp=sharing

-image snip-

Tell me the sprite sizes and I'll make it happen, buddy. :)

I don't know what the sizes are the game uses :o I know the coding for things, and how to make things work, when it comes the game resources itself, such as sizes of sprites, I'm a complete noob XD