First Aid Skill

Paratroopa

Best cure for the zombie virus is a bullet to the head. Prevents zombification 100% of the time.

I now want an option to suicide when turning into a zombie. Just to make sure you won't become a zombie.

Bleach, leaping out a window, chugging sleep medicine, running into a horde, setting  yourself on fire, you've already got a lot of options

Play multiplayer where people build structures that are not up to regular safety standards. Also gunshot wounds can kill you.

I laughed at that more than I should have.

I been playing on a MP server and this is sooo true. First Aid is used quite a lot here since 75% of my injuries are fractures or severe cuts from seeing a large abandoned player base, getting excited to loot it, then walking off a hole in the floor on the second story...

But the char traits for first aid still aren't useful.  Most MP servers have skill leveling xps boosted so with just a few injuries and diligent bandage replacing you can get your skill up to 1 or 2 quite quickly.

About a month ago I played a rather solid game of Project Zomboid with a group of friends. We were essentially feeling out the game to see how it was coming along and what issues a group ran into to attempt to balance out a future playthrough.

One thing that we decided to do was remove the zombie infection from bites. This decision was initially motivated by latency issues, whereby the dude shuffling towards you would suddenly be halfway through his meal before you even realized that he was in range. I think I received more bites in that game than I have in all of my single player runs combined.

As a result I was super, super busy as the team medic looking after all of the scratches/bites that cropped up. To say nothing of the usual doom associated with trying to build anything on a second story. 

But I recognize that isn't the norm.

I think that the first aid skill requires two things to really come into its own:

1) A more active vector of harm. Something that really imposes injury on a player. At the moment if you're not engaged in PVP and everything is fairly vanilla you're not going to see routine injury. Outside of splints or someone really goofing up and punching a window most injuries are zombie related and first aid generally doesn't do much there. Which is fine. I think these zombies are meant to be more of the WWZ type than the Walking Dead type. NPCs shooting at you. Traps in homes. Animals such as wolves in the wilderness or even workplace accidents (sawing logs with a low carpentry skill, or while exhausted for example) would all increase the ways and chances of someone needing the resident medic to actually whip out the medical bag.

2) I really like the botany skill being called in to backup the foraging skill. It's a nice way to help ID which of those mushrooms and berries are going to give you a case of the deads. I feel that the first aid skill would be ideal for identifying 'prescription medicine'.

Every schmuck knows what your local shelf pain killer is. Positively identifying and prescribing more intense medications to assist with ailments is something that could help really "boost" the bonus of the medic (Oxycontin versus Advil) in addition to making sure that you only take the two rather than throw back five and hope for the best. Essentially positively identifying if that's a pain killer, a horse tranquilizer or something to help gram gram flush her calcium. 

I feel that many support skills allow you to make better use out of the tools available in the environment. I believe that First Aid could be fleshed out to operate in a similar fashion.

Edit: Also, hello.

Remember in a RP doctor level 1, it was fking awesome<3

A fracture would heal in nothing, maybe 3 days. Normal wounds wouldn't even exist and the gunshot pain wasn't a problem anymore.

But doctors are pretty much useless in singleplayer, just in MP - PvP MP are useful. Docs are not too useful in PvE servers I think.

A fracture would heal in nothing, maybe 3 days. Normal wounds wouldn't even exist and the gunshot pain wasn't a problem anymore.

But doctors are pretty much useless in singleplayer, just in MP - PvP MP are useful. Docs are not too useful in PvE servers I think.

Ever fell from the top floor of your fence around your safehouse? Three times?

Best cure for the zombie virus is a bullet to the head. Prevents zombification 100% of the time.

I now want an option to suicide when turning into a zombie. Just to make sure you won't become a zombie.

Bleach, leaping out a window, chugging sleep medicine, running into a horde, setting  yourself on fire, you've already got a lot of options

Still you will turn unto a zombie, except you end up in a ash pile :P 

But for RP purposes it could be cool, to end our characters life with a headshot, to not become a zombie. Its not the "honorable" way out, still better than roaming around as a soulless being.

Ever fell from the top floor of your fence around your safehouse? Three times?

No, just once. I learned from my mistakes, buildings aren't safe.