First Aid Skill

Paratroopa

Maybe I am not experienced enaugh about the game but here is what i think !

It's a great game ! :P

But let's get back to our sheep.
I was wondering whats the point of boostin first aid skill if it dosen't reduce the chance of being Zombified?

Every time i have to use this skill, either the person i was healing dies of zombification or either i died of zombification from scratch and start back another chars. Will it be useless to have this skill if you normaly don't get other "damage" than zombie wounds? Is it a waste of precious material of time to be using it at all ? In all my PZ experience i never experienced any other wound than zombies wound. Except one time that i scratched myself while passing through a broken window. So i learned not to do this anymore :P

It could be nice if it could slow down or eventually stop zombification process while using medication or everyday treatements.

I really find that its a great implement to the game and everything around the process of healing others is great, but i find that something is missing about the skill to really implement the game!

I know what you mean but it dosen't make you fully experience de game in his entireness. If there is no zombification anymore there is no more challenge (at least a big part of it is gone).

Thats why im talking about upgrading the skill effect or maybe add lot more crafting opportunities that could render that skill a much usefull and funny skill to master. Because right now it dosen't change a lot rather it is lvl 2 or 10. And it dosen't makes me eager to max it like carpentry or farming.

what does first aid do anyways? I've never suffered enough injuries on a single character to actually get it above level 1. Plus turning zombification off basically makes your character invincible as all you have to do is be quick to bandage a wound, you don't even need to change the bandages. Then the only thing that could kill you is if you get surrounded by zombies.

I was almost certain each level removes 1% of zobification chance? Was I wrong? Seems like I die more with an inexperienced doctor then with one that knows the difference between a bypass and a dismemberment lol.

That being said I do think we need more reasons to have a medic: common disease, scraps and bruises, twisted ankles, etc. There really isn't much to do as a medic honestly, the only way to train it is to get shot on purpose (dangerous) or just hop back and forth in a broken window lol. Idk I just wish there was more medicinal concerns. Perhaps even have more medication and overdoses that a doctor with skill would be less to use wrongly? Idk

I didn't think anything affected zombificiation chance other than a trait or two.

I don't think first aid is particularly useful now, most of the time when you get injured you're doomed anyway. I imagine on PvP servers though it's more use. And even more so yet once NPCs are implemented and you and those with you suffer human-human violence.

Oh but it never happend to me before ! Is it cuz i haven't played enaugh? Or is it because i haven't jump through the second floor cuz i know its stupid! I mean you learn from you're mistakes and never reproduce them. Like i know that i can break something if i jump off the second floor. So i place some sheet rope not to do it. And i simply don't do it. I know i can cut myself passing through a broken window, so im not doing it anymore. Now that i know the potential treath and never reproduce them, the only real potential threath left is zombie wound. Every time i get scratched or bitten i just die from zombification. I won't throw myself through a broken window to boost up that skill to lvl 10  so i can heal my scratch in 37 seconds cuz ill die from zombification anyway.

See what i mean. In project zomboid if you are a bit experienced the only threat is zombie. So thats why im asking you guys whats the point of boosting first aid so i can die anyway from zombification even if im lvl 10 ? Cuz im not getting hurt any other way than get bitten or scratched. There is not enaugh possibilities of wounds to make that skill really usefull. Because you die anyway.

So im not ready to say that its a useless skill but, something is missing to make that skill really Amazingly usefull. And fun to boost up.

Oh but it never happend to me before ! Is it cuz i haven't played enaugh? Or is it because i haven't jump through the second floor cuz i know its stupid! I mean you learn from you're mistakes and never reproduce them. Like i know that i can break something if i jump off the second floor. So i place some sheet rope not to do it. And i simply don't do it. I know i can cut myself passing through a broken window, so im not doing it anymore. Now that i know the potential treath and never reproduce them, the only real potential threath left is zombie wound. Every time i get scratched or bitten i just die from zombification. I won't throw myself through a broken window to boost up that skill to lvl 10 so i can heal my scratch in 37 seconds cuz ill die from zombification anyway.

See what i mean. In project zomboid if you are a bit experienced the only threat is zombie. So thats why im asking you guys whats the point of boosting first aid so i can die anyway from zombification even if im lvl 10 ? Cuz im not getting hurt any other way than get bitten or scratched. There is not enaugh possibilities of wounds to make that skill really usefull. Because you die anyway.

So im not ready to say that its a useless skill but, something is missing to make that skill really Amazingly usefull. And fun to boost up.

While you don't necessarily die from every scratch (theoretically you ought to survive about 2/3rds of scratches) I agree with the idea that there aren't enough ways to injure yourself other than zeke.

I had considered the possibility of smaller injuries, such as cutting your finger while dicing vegetables or nicking yourself with a saw, slamming your finger with a hammer, etc. Injuries like that could be mitigated by, for example, high skill in Cooking and Nimble, as someone who's not comfortable in the kitchen and generally klutzy is more likely to slip while performing fairly mundane tasks.

Even slightly more debilitating injuries, such a sprained ankle from sprinting in the rain while exerted and tired, would be welcome additions on my end.

I think the main problem with things like that are their unpredictability and lack of player control: if I didn't actually do something wrong, why should there be a potential penalty? I've seen suggestions like this pop up now and then, and the majority of the community seems to balk at the idea of an RNG causing their character harm. I'm in the minority here, for the record: in real life, stupid mistakes and random chance play a large factor in any survival situation.

I think that if you use good medicine and ect. You get a 20% Chance of surviving the virus.

That means with PERFECT medical usage, sterilization, washing out, sterile bandagages, potentially snipping out tissue that touched infected matter, ect.

The devs themselves have stated that, while there is a chance you may not contract the virus, If you do it is 100% fatal. No amount of medical care will stop it.

I think that if you use good medicine and ect. You get a 20% Chance of surviving the virus.

That means with PERFECT medical usage, sterilization, washing out, sterile bandagages, potentially snipping out tissue that touched infected matter, ect.

The devs themselves have stated that, while there is a chance you may not contract the virus, If you do it is 100% fatal. No amount of medical care will stop it.

I was more thinking along the lines of even if the virus gets on you, dissecting out infected flesh before it gets to you, and sterilizing the area immensely.

It's retarded to give it super-duper antiseptic resistance for no reason.

Same thing they do for animals with septic bites like some water monitors, gators, ect.

They cut out infected flesh that's mangled and scrub the wound with water and iodine.

This is more a realistic attempt then hacking your arm off and being weaker forever.

It's vastly more easy to survive.

I mean you need to get a good damn grip to bite through human skin.

Alot of bites won't dig in but will rather scratch it as it slips through the teeth.

I'm hoping I don't come across as dismissive towards your suggestions, LeetgamerBoi, but I have to disagree with the ability to halt the zombie virus. When you get right down to it, we don't know if it even is a virus. Truth be told, we don't know the first thing about whatever causes zombification other than the fact that it's passed through bites and scratches. It's entirely plausible that there is no antidote, cure, mitigation, or other manner of prevention. I always assumed the virus transferred directly to your plasma, and there's no way to cut that out of your body.

Regardless, it's sort of a moot point. I'm fully open to discussion, but given that the devs have stated repeatedly there is NO WAY to kill the virus, we've sort of just hijacked a thread to discuss something with no merit in discussion. If you're passionate about your ideas for prevention and cure, feel free to PM me and I'll happily continue this discussion in private. Otherwise we're just clogging up the forums with something that's been repeatedly discussed. Cheers! :)

I'd think the simple solution is to keep zombie bites at their current rate of infection, but make zombie scratches and other attacks less chance of infection but more chance of serious other damage that could cause you to bleed out, etc. which would make first aid skill useful.

It seems odd that in a theoretical zombie apocalypse first aid would be one of the most useful skills, but its one of the most useless here.

As for what the original poster was saying about the skill reducing zombification once infected, there is a way you could add this in without violating the devs intent, a way that you see represented in a few zombie films.  If the bite is on your limbs, give the option to cut if off within the first hour. You would then lose an arm for holding stuff/weapons, or a leg. So there might be some interesting use of new crafting for basic peg leg, or hook arm prosthetic.  And of course first aid would affect greatly if the amputation actually works and doesn't kill you.

From a purely MP player, First Aid is not a useless skill.

One of the most common things that happen is MP is somebody is building their base and then runs off the 2nd floor by accident. Or climbs out the wrong window and breaks their leg.

Fight off bandits? Get shot a bunch of times? A doctor can save you from what normally would have lead you to bleeding out.

Find yourself changing your bandage and getting infections? A doctor will patch you up properly.

Point being, if you expect to last long in MP and do more than sit in an isolated cabin, having somebody with medical training can be very useful.

One thing to note is that when you run around with a bunch of various injuries on you, you aren't performing up to how you usually would have. Broken legs mean slow movement, wounded arms and hands take away your ability to swing and shoot at full effectiveness.

Now let's look at your suggestion. More little wounds, but a way to prevent infection?

More little wounds, yah, I could see that. Paper cuts, bruises, stuff like that. However a way to stop the infection is a definite "no".

Honestly, running through the forest, especially at night, and running full speed through dark buildings should have a small chance at accidental cuts and bruises, with perhaps an even smaller but still relevant chance at something like a fracture.  If most of us went running through a forest at night off of a path or trail, we would probably end up in a hospital or possibly the graveyard.

Except for eating a ton of food and sleeping non stop. Common cure for zombifcation.

That's more of a palliative treatment than an actual cure...