We deserve at least monthy updates on NPCs

TheGrifter

For all those that want NPCs so much, here's my friendly piece of advice: forget this game.

NPCs won't be around in the next year or two or three or ever. Forget the game and play something else.

It feels way better when you actually do that, believe me. I used to read the damn mondoids every week just to find the "we added a new hair gel item that doesn't do anything but here you go. That's all for this mondoid, bye". Reading this crap every week and growing more and more annoyed is the worst.

Forget. Let go.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those that want NPCs so much, here's my friendly piece of advice: forget this game.

NPCs won't be around in the next year or two or three or ever. Forget the game and play something else.

It feels way better when you actually do that, believe me. I used to read the damn mondoids every week just to find the "we added a new hair gel item that doesn't do anything but here you go. That's all for this mondoid, bye". Reading this crap every week and growing more and more annoyed is the worst.

Forget. Let go.

I wouldn't say 'forget this game', but yeah I get what you're saying. If you can't wait patiently for a feature, just go play something else that you find enjoyable for awhile. Pop back in every once in awhile to see if anything has changed and come back when the features you want to see are here. Impatiently waiting won't do you or the devs any good.

Demanding anything from an early access is absurd, you know what you signed up for (TIS is very clear about it on the Steam Store page). If you didn't, then you didn't read, that's your fault.

So far I have personally received entertainment at $0.026/hour for having purchased this game in Early Access. You won't hear me complaining about upcoming features or making demands. I long long long ago got my money's worth in return.

Forget. Let go.

I wouldn't say 'forget this game', but yeah I get what you're saying. If you can't wait patiently for a feature, just go play something else that you find enjoyable for awhile. Pop back in every once in awhile to see if anything has changed and come back when the features you want to see are here. Impatiently waiting won't do you or the devs any good.

Demanding anything from an early access is absurd, you know what you signed up for (TIS is very clear about it on the Steam Store page). If you didn't, then you didn't read, that's your fault.

So far I have personally received entertainment at $0.026/hour for having purchased this game in Early Access. You won't hear me complaining about upcoming features or making demands. I long long long ago got my money's worth in return.

This guy just said everything that needed to be said

Can we close this thread now for being asinine?

Forget. Let go.

This post is just cancer.

Forget. Let go.

This post is just cancer.

I think that they are just going through a bit of a rough patch in there relationship right now. It sounds like chthonic still loves PZ and I believe that PZ still loves chthonic. A bit of time apart should do them both some good. I reckon that they will get back together one day. If not then it was just never meant to be...

I hope NPC's take their time. Having only recently joint the fanbase, I have not been waiting nearly as long as some of you and so am remarkably free of salt.

And frankly, the idea of having to worry about envious people possessing bullets when I have only recently decided that zombies are not that big of a deal horrifies me.

However.

Bullets don't zambo you on the first shot, every shot.

Hm. NPC's would make FA a super useful skill.

I am typing this on my bed, utterly exhausted after a day of talking about PZ and finding out about new interesting games at EGX. Thank you for keeping it lovely everyone; this is why we love you.

.. I really do like not using my banhammer. ;)

i love you too

As much as I am impressed how much the game has evolved from what it once was, and really I am, if I am being honest my biggest sore point was what hooked me was the STORY it had, dialogue and such. It gave it an emotional touch and a more focused purpose that the current game lacks entirely.

I really wanted to see more of that, specifically Kate and Baldspot's story. That's why I bought it within minutes of playing the first demo. I thought that was what I was signing on for. I still would have bought it in short order even if I never saw the potential as a story driven game, sure.. But it would be nice to see it reclaim some of that potential.

Project Zomboid is a good Sandbox game, and is shaping up to be a good multiplayer sandbox game.. But it could be a good story game as well. That's the kind of NPCs I hope make a come back.

As much as I am impressed how much the game has evolved from what it once was, and really I am, if I am being honest my biggest sore point was what hooked me was the STORY it had, dialogue and such. It gave it an emotional touch and a more focused purpose that the current game lacks entirely.

I really wanted to see more of that, specifically Kate and Baldspot's story. That's why I bought it within minutes of playing the first demo. I thought that was what I was signing on for. I still would have bought it in short order even if I never saw the potential as a story driven game, sure.. But it would be nice to see it reclaim some of that potential.

Project Zomboid is a good Sandbox game, and is shaping up to be a good multiplayer sandbox game.. But it could be a good story game as well. That's the kind of NPCs I hope make a come back.

At-least you will be able to fake it talking to the radio and TV on the next update, i wont feel so alone anymore.

But i am sure that when the NPCs baseline is in, we are going to start seeing a lot of stories, either community made or dev made.

While NPCs are one of the things which attracted me to this game, and when I purchased it they had already been removed, I can't say for the price I paid for the game ($15 on sale, holy shit!) that I've been disappointed by it.  Had I paid more (like GTA V's $70 kick to the nuts) I would probably be mad.  I am a little disappointed by work on other areas of development which I have no interesting in (steam integration, MP) but not enough so to rant about it.  NPCs are coming, they are working on it.

Simple rule of software development - Skeleton then meat.

Right now they are working on the skeleton and even at that, there is still a lot of meat on it.

Would I like to see NPC development happen faster?  Well, we all would.

Can we honestly say that for the price we paid that we're not getting our monies worth?  Of course not.  Despite a lack of NPCs, there is plenty enough to the game that I think we've gotten what we paid for to a certain degree.

I don't see how a few month period ETA would be so much harm.

Iike march- august 2016 or something.

That's the most likely date anyway.

How about 2278 for an ETA. Put that in your head and any date sooner that it actually happens will make you happy.

It can do a ton of harm.

ETA released. Hype builds. Expectations are super high. The industry focuses in. ETA comes. NPCs aren't ready (or worse are released unfinished). Customers and fans get angry. Devs feel like they failed their base. Industry mocks their NPCs. Depression sets in. Development is delayed or worse halted.

-or-

NO ETA given. Hype burbles along. Fans/customers occasionally make a demand. Demands are ignored. Expectations are super high. BAM!!! NPCs ARE HERE! Everyone flips out in elation! The love and endless "thank yous" pour in. TIS never has to buy their own drink again!

Which would you prefer as a customer?

Knowing when NPCs will hit will do you no good. Think about it. What does it change? You gain nothing by thinking they'll be here next week or in a year. What does it matter if they're released this Monday or 104 Mondays from now? All it does is put undue pressure on the team developing them. Your life is in no way better with an ETA. Or at least I can't think of a way how it could be.

Just relax, they'll be here when they're here. They assure us they're working on them.

If TIS closes the doors and NPCs still aren't here; then we can get angry.

It can do a ton of harm.

ETA released. Hype builds. Expectations are super high. The industry focuses in. ETA comes. NPCs aren't ready (or worse are released unfinished). Customers and fans get angry. Devs feel like they failed their base. Industry mocks their NPCs. Depression sets in. Development is delayed or worse halted.

-or-

NO ETA given. Hype burbles along. Fans/customers occasionally make a demand. Demands are ignored. Expectations are super high. BAM!!! NPCs ARE HERE! Everyone flips out in elation! The love and endless "thank yous" pour in. TIS never has to buy their own drink again!

Which would you prefer as a customer?

I don't care either way about the regular updates but this black and white fallacy pushed me to make a comment.

What you seem to be suggesting is that every game update which incorporated a highly sought after feature and did not have an ETA has always been well received. This can easily be proven to be false by looking at the large number of games that have had updates, where no ETA was provided and where the community responded negatively. Some examples of these updates can be found when looking at; Towns, Darkest Dungeon, Vanguard : Saga of Heroes and more.

There is absolutely no proof that giving an ETA on a game update is worse than not giving an ETA. Actually the evidence seems to suggest that developers who do not keep their communities in the loop as to content they are working on are more likely to lose their players and/or grow complacent with their update schedules. There is a reason that most companies and workplaces have strict deadlines.

Sure there is: TIS is living proof that when an ETA, or a tight list of features we'd like to have for an update (perhaps in checklist form), is provided, people tend to get rather ugly about it, particularly if it's missed. Despite all that's happened over the years, the game still continues to be updated and expanded on, the community is kept in the loop (baring one specific feature), the community continues to grow, and updates are happening faster than they have during the first three years of the project (in no small part thanks to the addition of three new devs).

Thanks, but we'll take our own real-world experience on this over the theoretical argument for or against it.

Sure there is: TIS is living proof that when an ETA, or a tight list of features we'd like to have for an update (perhaps in checklist form), is provided, people tend to get rather ugly about it, particularly if it's missed. Despite all that's happened over the years, the game still continues to be updated and expanded on, the community is kept in the loop (baring one specific feature), the community continues to go, and updates are happening faster than they have during the first three years of the project (in no small part thanks to the addition of three new devs).

Thanks, but we'll take our own real-world experience on this over the theoretical argument for or against it.

While you're free to do what you think works for you (again I don't personally care about regular updates but I can certainly emphasize with people who would like them) I would point out the fact that when you:

take our own real-world experience on this over the theoretical argument for or against it.

You are in fact engaging in a type of cognitive bias based on a past negative experience. Someone who is mugged on a train may develop the idea that public transport is inherently unsafe due to cognitive biases. They may hold this idea even if presented with evidence that the probability of harm occurring through the use of public transport is statistically extremely low and that they are more likely to be harmed in a car accident for example. Using 'lived experiences' as they are increasingly being referred to as the basis for making conclusions is soundly unscientific.

Cognitive biases are extremely dangerous as they narrow discussion and in turn thinking around a topic. This is exactly why I interjected into the thread. You might not like what these people are saying but that actually makes it all the more important for you to listen to them and try to understand where they are coming from.

I know that on some level you understand this because I have used your Steam forums before and seen your progressive stance towards moderation (allowing criticisms towards development and the game).

Sure there is: TIS is living proof that when an ETA, or a tight list of features we'd like to have for an update (perhaps in checklist form), is provided, people tend to get rather ugly about it, particularly if it's missed. Despite all that's happened over the years, the game still continues to be updated and expanded on, the community is kept in the loop (baring one specific feature), the community continues to go, and updates are happening faster than they have during the first three years of the project (in no small part thanks to the addition of three new devs).

While you're free to do what you think works for you (again I don't personally care about regular updates but I can certainly emphasize with people who would like them) I would point out the fact that when you:

take our own real-world experience on this over the theoretical argument for or against it.

You are in fact engaging in a type of cognitive bias based on a past negative experience. Someone who is mugged on a train may develop the idea that public transport is inherently unsafe due to cognitive biases. They may hold this idea even if presented with evidence that the probability of harm occurring through the use of public transport is statistically extremely low and that they are more likely to be harmed in a car accident for example.

Cognitive biases are extremely dangerous as they narrow discussion and in turn thinking around a topic. This is exactly why I interjected into the thread. You might not like what these people are saying but that actually makes it all the more important for you to listen to them and try to understand where they are coming from.

I know that on some level you understand this because I have used your Steam forums before and seen your progressive stance towards moderation (allowing criticisms towards development and the game).

What happens when people get mugged 3 times in different trains?

It sure as hell aint going to take a train anymore, TIS had it rough more than 3 times before with ETAs, i am sure that people will complain on the Steam forums because the Q(something of the year) goal wasn't reached and you know what?

I just dont care anymore and most of the users in the fourm agree that the features they work on the game take a long ass time and we are used to wait because at the end of the day most of that stuff is worth it.

I dont even know what i am saying i slept only 1 hour send help dear god what the fuck is that thing on the wall

You are in fact engaging in a type of cognitive bias based on a past negative experience. Someone who is mugged on a train may develop the idea that public transport is inherently unsafe due to cognitive biases. They may hold this idea even if presented with evidence that the probability of harm occurring through the use of public transport is statistically extremely low and that they are more likely to be harmed in a car accident for example.

What happens when people get mugged 3 times in different trains?

It sure as hell aint going to take a train anymore, TIS had it rough more than 3 times before with ETAs, i am sure that people will complain on the Steam forums because the Q(something of the year) goal wasn't reached and you know what?

I just dont care anymore and most of the users in the fourm agree that the features they work on the game take a long ass time and we are used to wait because at the end of the day most of that stuff is worth it.

I dont even know what i am saying i slept only 1 hour send help dear god what the fuck is that thing on the wall

It is an unfortunate part of human nature that people are prone to complain... It makes people feel better. People complain about everything. Anything you can think of has been complained about... Anything. Coca-cola, consoles, rubber boots, TV antennas, remote controls, shoelaces, petticoats, Donald Duck, The Avengers, men, women, Hulk Hogan, the weather, vegetarians, birds, takeaway food, cars, bicycles, boats, hunting, walking a dog, etc... All of that and more has been complained about.

A development team should listen to complaints to get an idea of how the community feels about their games but they should not take them personally. We would live in a pretty crappy world if every time something or someone got complained about that thing or person got shut down.

And if you get mugged three times on different trains then you might take the opportunity to reflect on the experience and perhaps the next time you step on a train you stop sticking $100 bills all over your body and carrying a sign that reads "mug me baby one more time". That or you recognise that you are a massive statistical abnormality and carry on living your life normally.

It's a cognitive bias if I don't agree with you, The13thRonin? I'm hopeful that's not what you mean, but that seems to be one implication that can be drawn for your comment. Alternatively, it's just a warning that we shouldn't react too strongly, in case our own biases are influencing our perception of events. Which . . . well . . . I really don't get how it applies in this case. Surely the fact that discussion is allowed to continue, that important features are still advertised and discussed in the mondoids, and that updates still roll out (sometimes with hints that things may be out in a week or two) disproves that we're letting some sort of bias rule us?

What, exactly, is wrong with the developers wanting to work on NPCs privately for a while, or not wishing to get people's hopes up with a date that is outright meaningless?

A development team should listen to complaints to get an idea of how the community feels about their games but they should not take them personally. We would live in a pretty crappy world if every time something or someone got complained about that thing or person got shut down.

None of this means TIS needs to act reactively to complaints, or give in to the complainer's demands, however. May seem to forget a"software team" is a very abstract way to describe a group of individual people, some whom may be more sensitive to constant needling than others.

Again, a poor choice to suggest that TIS shuts down anything they receive complaints about. :-| Perhaps unintentional, again. If that were the case, the game might as well be scrapped now -- anything from multiplayer to the RNG has received complaints over the years.

And if you get mugged three times on different trains then you might take the opportunity to reflect on the experience and perhaps the next time you step on a train you stop sticking $100 bills all over your body and carrying a sign that reads "mug me baby one more time". That or you recognise that you are a massive statistical abnormality and carry on living your life normally.

Ah, victim blaming. "You had to be doing something wrong if a series of unfortunate events befell you in a statistically anonymous pattern!" Brilliant.

Because TIS hasn't lived through that in the past, either. And, yes, people regularly go back to that well, yet TIS continues on.