Desensitization

OprahWinfrey

I have seen people talk about this before, but I don't think it has ever had its own post.

The panic system needs to be revisited. Things like killing zombies and escaping hordes, successfully performing first aid, and other survival moments should contribute towards the overall acclimation of the character to the new, dangerous environment.

Just like strength and fitness, gaining a level in this category should take a long time. Eventually, someone starting out with no mental conditioning should end up the same as someone with the veteran profession (desensitized).

In my opinion, desensitization should occur much more quickly than gaining fitness or strength levels; the mind adapts much more quickly than the body.

Either way, after my character has killed hundreds of Z's and survived broken bones and mega hordes, he/she shouldn't be panicking at the sight of five zombies.

Could also make the case for the player becoming unhinged over time, instead of iron-brained.

This. So much this. Long periods of isolation have drastically negative impacts on the human mind, it's quite well documented. 

Shell-shock [AKA Battle Fatigue, AKA Operational Exhaustion, AKA Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.] is another well documented condition of constant high-stress and fatigue. 

Depression, anxiety, loneliness, these things are all burdens which start small, and grow over time. 

A player who interacts with others (that is, doesn't just run down the street shooting everything that moves, but legitimately spends time around other people.) avoids being in too deep too often, and does what they can to keep their mind occupied in happy, or functional ways would build up a tolerance for the increasing pressure and stress of the situation. Eventually coming out of the other side of the fire forged a little harder, a little hardier. 

But someone who takes senseless risks, spends long periods in isolation, and has too much time to sit and dwell on how bad things are... well, they're not going to be doing so well four to six weeks down the road, are they? 

I think there is legitimate merit to this, but it should be a double-edged sword. A person already desensitized could be pushed to the breaking point, a person who doesn't have that personal discipline could acquire it if they acclimate properly. 

Could also make the case for the player becoming unhinged over time, instead of iron-brained.

This. So much this. Long periods of isolation have drastically negative impacts on the human mind, it's quite well documented. 

Shell-shock [AKA Battle Fatigue, AKA Operational Exhaustion, AKA Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.] is another well documented condition of constant high-stress and fatigue. 

Depression, anxiety, loneliness, these things are all burdens which start small, and grow over time. 

A player who interacts with others (that is, doesn't just run down the street shooting everything that moves, but legitimately spends time around other people.) avoids being in too deep too often, and does what they can to keep their mind occupied in happy, or functional ways would build up a tolerance for the increasing pressure and stress of the situation. Eventually coming out of the other side of the fire forged a little harder, a little hardier. 

But someone who takes senseless risks, spends long periods in isolation, and has too much time to sit and dwell on how bad things are... well, they're not going to be doing so well four to six weeks down the road, are they? 

I think there is legitimate merit to this, but it should be a double-edged sword. A person already desensitized could be pushed to the breaking point, a person who doesn't have that personal discipline could acquire it if they acclimate properly. 

This is one of the things that i hope the devs focus on after we have a working in-game version of the NPCs, fight off loneliness, depression and all that stuff. 

Oooh, didn't even think about the other side of the spectrum!

Perhaps the short term effect of barely escaping a situation, being alone for a few months, or watching your friend get killed by zombies could be an insanity akin to auditory/visual hallucinations and faster panicking.

Taking it easy for a long time (farming, hanging out inside and reading, etc) could "fix" the PTSD.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/14351-wolfys-moodlet-trait-suggestions/ Wolfy's suggestion list of extra moodlets and traits kind of touches on this, where with panic there are also more lasting effects, being his suggested "Trauma" set of moodlets. Of course your suggestion is more specific.. I definitely would love to see more humanization of my little survivor.

I remember making a post much like this on the old forums, it would be nice to see some psychological effects make an appearance. Maybe even hallucinations for the particularly unhinged. Hear a sound of a zombie coming up behind you, a footstep around the corner, a glimpse of a zombie though the window of a building across the street.. Things like that would be pretty nifty.

I remember making a post much like this on the old forums, it would be nice to see some psychological effects make an appearance. Maybe even hallucinations for the particularly unhinged. Hear a sound of a zombie coming up behind you, a footstep around the corner, a glimpse of a zombie though the window of a building across the street.. Things like that would be pretty nifty.

That would be pretty nifty. A whole bag of nifty, actually.

Hypothetical situation~

Survivor A creeps up to a corner. As they get closer, zambos start appearing around the other side of the corner. Survivor takes a deep breath and reminds themself 'I cleared this street. I cleared this street. I cleared this street. Just this morning. Just this morning.' Survivor A grits their teeth and steps around the corner, 2x4 raised high to strike..... nothing. Nothing is there but the bodies they put there this morning. Nothing is moving. No threat in sight. No matter how much Survivor A shakes their head though, the sound of gnashing teeth and guttural moaning get louder.

Every day it gets louder. Every day they get closer. Each night gets shorter as Survivor A finds they can no longer stay asleep now that all the whiskey is gone.

• 4 weeks later...

But only few people suffers PTSD after shocking situations.

You can use differents ways. It can be by random exposure, it can be automathic after X times you experience the event. Or you can put your Xp in improving your reactions, like strengh.

Desensitization must be at least a maybe from Devs, I M O

At this point, I'm pretty convinced it's the opposite. PTSD might well be a common response to tragic sitautions, but is often undiagnosed and untreated.

Not that I can prove it.

Well, if you take a look on DSM-V you can see it by yourself.

It depends on the person. A lot of people get desensitized, others get PTSD. 

Also, it is already in the "veteran" profesion, so it would be fine with the game itself.

Also, the game itself tells you that you get more panic with the first zombies.

IMO when NPC's are introduced a player ought to get debuffs with socializing for being desensitized, and get more panicked (soft) if they spend too much time with other NPC friends.

With the debuffs building very slowly so if you do both regularly you can be a badass soldier after killing 5K+ Zombies over the months and keep your little village well defended and fed.

Or end up dead with 20 other NPC's being gnawed at by the endless hordes.