Button Toggle to see things above the level your player is on

Stormc12

With multiplayer and soon-to-come NPCs, having the ability to see the tops of buildings will be essential, which is hard when in dense urban areas. A simple toggle for this would help out with seeing the tops of roofs, or simply seeing how high a building is without going inside of it

Say a rouge survivor is on top of a building sniping random survivors? You wouldn't be able to see him unless you are in a clear area or he yells at you.

I don't think I agree with this.

Are you saying that If I am at ground level and there is a character that is on a nearby roof, that I should have the ability to see them?

I don't support seeing anything unless there is a direct line of sight. If they are at the edge of the roof then sure, but anywhere other than the edge, we shouldn't be able to see them. A good sniper wouldn't expose themselves by being directly at the edge for exactly this reason. This would only happen if they needed to shoot almost directly below them, or they didn't know what they were doing.

If its not a direct line of sight, you shouldn't be able to see it. Just because I entered the ground floor of a building, does not mean I have any idea what is on the roof or what it looks like.

Are you saying that If I am at ground level and there is a character that is on a nearby roof, that I should have the ability to see them?

I don't support seeing anything unless there is a direct line of sight. If they are at the edge of the roof then sure, but anywhere other than the edge, we shouldn't be able to see them. A good sniper wouldn't expose themselves by being directly at the edge for exactly this reason. This would only happen if they needed to shoot almost directly below them, or they didn't know what they were doing.

If its not a direct line of sight, you shouldn't be able to see it. Just because I entered the ground floor of a building, does not mean I have any idea what is on the roof or what it looks like.

In UFO Defense, you could toggle to see "up", like how tall is a house, how tall is that building or the skyranger, can you something there in YOUR line of sight, it doesn't mean that you will be able to see the character, but only the building from the outside, this is so useful when it comes down to exploring the mall, you could see the zombies from the upper floors if we had this. 

The line of sight / fog of war is still in game. With this option you can see how the 1st floor looks like from outside. Its important, there may be a guy with a gun on the roof.

If what you are saying is for the ability to see floors which your character could not see then I also completely do not agree with this. 

If you are inside a building how the heck would you be able to know what the top of the roof looks like. Or even how high the building is without seeing floor signs in stair wells or elevators? Fog of war is a big part of this game. 

In UFO Defense, you could toggle to see "up", like how tall is a house, how tall is that building or the skyranger, can you something there in YOUR line of sight, it doesn't mean that you will be able to see the character, but only the building from the outside, this is so useful when it comes down to exploring the mall, you could see the zombies from the upper floors if we had this. 

Looking down on zombies is one thing, but not looking up. At least not beyond what is at the ledge of the floor.

I can get behind the idea that you should be able to look up/down to see what is above or below you, but you definitely should not be able to get any details beyond what you can see directly in your line of sight. You should not be able to see the entire layout of a roof or floor without going onto that roof or floor.

The line of sight / fog of war is still in game. With this option you can see how the 1st floor looks like from outside. Its important, there may be a guy with a gun on the roof.

I don't think your character should be able to see anything beyond their direct line of sight. Its just not realistic or plausible. Think about it. How would you know what the interior layout of a floor is like without being on that floor? You can sort of determine the layout of the 1st floor (Thinking US 1st floor and not the European idea that the 2nd floor is the 1st floor) by looking in the windows.

This does nothing but makes the game easier and cheesier IMO.

I don't think your character should be able to see anything beyond their direct line of sight. Its just not realistic or plausible. Think about it. How would you know what the interior layout of a floor is like without being on that floor? You can sort of determine the layout of the 1st floor (Thinking US 1st floor and not the European idea that the 2nd floor is the 1st floor) by looking in the windows.

This does nothing but makes the game easier and cheesier IMO.

I dont want to see hole roof or 1st floor layout. just the walls and windows, like in real life :-). In current sytuation you can get shoot from a 1st / 2nd floor, roof ledge etc and you wont see the eneamy.

Just the information about how the walls and windows looks above my lvl gives me nice information. Perhapse I can see burned roof, baricaded window, a light in the room, or NPC standing next to the window.

As Zorak stated above me, I think what this topic is trying to propose is that you could have a button that stops higher levels or walls from disappearing when your character gets too close to them. If I understand the OP correctly you would still only be seeing the outside of the building and would still not be able to see any NPCs or Zombies if your character couldn't see them in their line of sight, as fog of war would still be a factor. However it would still let you see higher than you currently can at close range by giving your character the ability to kind of look up, simply by not having those levels disappear. I imagine this feature would mostly be used for building as well as the occasional look at the outside of a building at close range. Maybe I misunderstood but if this is the case I see no issues with it and think it would be a great addition, as it would help with building walls and fences a lot.

As Zorak stated above me, I think what this topic is trying to propose is that you could have a button that stops higher levels or walls from disappearing when your character gets too close to them. If I understand the OP correctly you would still only be seeing the outside of the building and would still not be able to see any NPCs or Zombies if your character couldn't see them in their line of sight, as fog of war would still be a factor. However it would still let you see higher than you currently can at close range by giving your character the ability to kind of look up, simply by not having those levels disappear. I imagine this feature would mostly be used for building as well as the occasional look at the outside of a building at close range. Maybe I misunderstood but if this is the case I see no issues with it and think it would be a great addition, as it would help with building walls and fences a lot.

I underatand that and agree. I was trying to tell the same to Kaspar :-). Seeing abowe your lvl dosnt have to brake normal LOS rules.

• 1 month later...