Map loading issued - Black border on the server

Insidiousness

Hello! I am hosting a server.

I have enough ports forwarded.

I have increased the RAM usage.

But, for some reason one particular player has map loading issued while playing on my server. My four friends located in Sweden has no problems loading the map, but this one guy in Germany always runs into map loading issued on my server. He only has 54 ms while playing on my server, so latency is really not the issue.

He has the problems even if all other players leave and he plays alone on the server. 

Does anyone have any insight into how to solve this problem? Would be very much appriciated.

Often this is caused by the user's antivirus.  The antivirus sees a bunch of files (the map) being downloaded from some random IP address (the server's) and puts a stop to it without any warning.  When a client connects to a server, the map download is tested (that's what the TCP port test does).  So the port is accessible, but something blocks the download to the client after they join.

Well, he doesn't lose connection and he can still play, the map eventually loads, it's just very slow and the rest of us has to keep waiting for him to load in the map.
He is playing on modern hardware so that shouldn't be the issue.

Perhaps it's not the antivirus/firewall blocking something, but rather a constant scanning of map files being loaded which causes delay? Might be far fetched but the next time I play with him I'll ask him what antivirus he uses and try to pause it. 

Any other ideas are also welcome!

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same problem, with the exception being that I'm the host and I'm the one getting the dreaded black void. :(

Did you ensure you included the LAN IP of the server, assuming it's being hosted from your computer?

Yeah  :???: 

(I'm assuming you're talking about the IP (like the Pv4 thingy) that I use rather than the one I give out to my friend to connect.. yeah I know I'm technologically inept.  :-D )

If this is a non-Steam server, try the ip 127.0.0.1 -- otherwise your packets leaving your router only to hussle right back through it.

If this is a Steam server, include both 127.0.0.1 in the LAN IP field and your visible IP in the IP field.

Might resolve it.

HOLY CRAP, Enigma, you are a God. For so long I was having trouble and you saved me.

If the zombie apocalypse ever actually happens, I want you to know that I'm going to sacrifice myself for you.  :-D