Anyone else terrified of NPCs?

lucy the axe

I see most NPC talk is "GIMME DIS NOW. IS GONNA BE GOOD. WHY DIS NOT IN GAME YET???" so this is the thread for people to admit that you are scared of NPCs.

And if you're not, you should be.

Think about it. They're like smarter zombies. They have weapons. They compete with you for food and water. Sure, they can help you guard your base (presumably), but they can also f*ck it up and do something stupid and lead a horde to your area. Or blow a hole through your wall. Or break the window of your safehouse because they "thought it was empty".

Why are you guys excited? O___O Do you love chaos and unluckiness and death? (Obviously yes. Since we all play PZ...)

This is probably just me being a glass half-empty type of person. But when the water shuts off and you're dying of thirst with no toilets in sight... you want that half-empty glass to stay half-empty. You don't want to come home and find Bob Smith used it to water his pet tomato or make a cuppa or something.

TL;DR I'm very worried what kind of additional WTFery NPCs will bring.

It will hopefully add a cool new dynamic to single player. After playing multiplayer for so long and the complexities that brings, single player now seems so lonely. :(

There is something strangely nice about being all alone. But it does limit the amount of things you can get up to. I really like the idea of trying to help NPCs and all the trouble that it brings.

It will hopefully add a cool new dynamic to single player. After playing multiplayer for so long and the complexities that brings, single player now seems so lonely. :(

There is something strangely nice about being all alone. But it does limit the amount of things you can get up to. I really like the idea of trying to help NPCs and all the trouble that it brings.

This is one other reason I'm so scared of NPCs. I will probably stress myself to death keeping the numbwits alive. O___O

Speaking from the heart, I'm excited for NPCs because other survivors in a zombie apocalypse game is a must-have in my opinion, that's just honestly how I feel about it. Additionally though, I'm anxious about how NPCs will work, their hole functioning is a mystery to us as of now but the Devs made it pretty clear it's probably one of the best NPC implementations at there, so I'm going to trust them on it.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the non-zed company-it can be a lonely game. Of course, I'm speaking of the NPCs that I don't have to kill. Now, what does "scare" me is when they're first incorporated into the game because I'm betting there will need to be some serious experimentation and tweaking. That's pretty normal, of course, and I usually have fun anyway. (Memories of psycho blood hounding HORDES and invisible fire come to mind. =) )

I'm looking forward to to the trading with NPC's.

Finally, every item can have some use or value.

Not to mention NPC's can prevent your death in as many ways as they can cause it. 

They may wreck your base, but they might also fortify it.

They may compete with you for food and water, but they might give you some as well.

They may draw zombies towards you but they may also lure them away

I've thought this my self. Any time I'm struggling to find a certain item/tool when I eventually do find it after a few in game weeks/months of looking, I often think to myself "would this item still be here if NPC's were in the game"? The answer to that question is probably not, this of course makes for much more interesting game play, but at the same time could present some sort of trade off. Still excited for them though. 

Additionally though, I'm anxious about how NPCs will work, their hole functioning is a mystery to us as of now but the Devs made it pretty clear it's probably one of the best NPC implementations at there, so I'm going to trust them on it.

Oh, I trust them too. I trust them to give us hell. :P Every time TIS updates, they prove the "Be careful what you wish for" thing.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the non-zed company-it can be a lonely game. Of course, I'm speaking of the NPCs that I don't have to kill. Now, what does "scare" me is when they're first incorporated into the game because I'm betting there will need to be some serious experimentation and tweaking.

Should I start training aiming? I just realized from this thread that I can't rely on melee anymore. :(

I'm looking forward to to the trading with NPC's.

Finally, every item can have some use or value.

Not to mention NPC's can prevent your death in as many ways as they can cause it. 

They may wreck your base, but they might also fortify it.

They may compete with you for food and water, but they might give you some as well.

They may draw zombies towards you but they may also lure them away

I know they're a +/- kind of thing but right now, we're all capable of fortifying our safe houses by ourselves so I don't think a helper NPC can do that much. The risk/challenge they will add to the game is greater than possible boon they bring, I think. I'm not saying I don't want them to arrive. I'm just saying they will be more of an extra challenge to manage. I suppose this all ties in with the devs' end goal of making surviving a couple of months a very rare thing.

Becoming emotionally attached to NPCs is going to be a complete nightmare. I'm in control of keeping myself safe. But will have limited control over NPCs... Aaagh the chaos!

Also it will be cool if your character becomes really depressed if a friendly NPC dies.

I always found it weird that when Kates died, Bob didnt felt sad or anything. 

Becoming emotionally attached to NPCs is going to be a complete nightmare. I'm in control of keeping myself safe. But will have limited control over NPCs... Aaagh the chaos!

Also it will be cool if your character becomes really depressed if a friendly NPC dies.

Kate and Bob where before my time. 

Was she his wife? because that might explain why he was not sad :P 

Kinda sad I missed that Kate

She turned into a picture, right?

Wish I found PZ during the Kate/Bob era.... *sigh*

I never played PZ when Kate, Bob and NPCs were in. I've always thought it'd be cool if TIS just slip them back in one day, without saying anything. You load up your singleplayer save and go out on a looting run. Walk up to a building, minding your own business, when the door opens and someone walks out.

Like Elliott in E.T, I think I'll initially shit myself when I have first contact with NPCs, but after that it'll be fine.

I never played PZ when Kate, Bob and NPCs were in. I've always thought it'd be cool if TIS just slip them back in one day, without saying anything. You load up your singleplayer save and go out on a looting run. Walk up to a building, minding your own business, when the door opens and someone walks out.

Like Elliott in E.T, I think I'll initially shit myself when I have first contact with NPCs, but after that it'll be fine.

Haha! I think I will have a heart attack too, if they just sneaked NPCs in. Perhaps people who play multiplayer a lot won't be very surprised though. :/

Haha! I think I will have a heart attack too, if they just sneaked NPCs in. Perhaps people who play multiplayer a lot won't be very surprised though. :/

If they write NPCs well enough and stealth-release them, folks that play multiplayer a lot may not even realize it....was that a player that was just not talkative, or....

I really hope that they release NPCs without telling anyone. Just imagine it-

Your out happily looting (on SP) when you see a small group of zombies with guns... No wait they're not zombies. You panic and run all the way back to your safe-house. But when you get there it is burnt to the ground. Out of the smoke comes a giant scaled winged beast with fire coming from its mouth. Aaaaaagh they released NPCs and Dragons in the same secret update! You die in ball of flame with a big smile on your face :P

why be scared of them? Tell them to go into a barricaded building activate generator by the door and barricade the door shut leaving them to be killed in a horrible and cruel way. or you could build walls around them and let them slowly go insane.

So you're gonna build your own little Auschwitz complete with a gas chamber and everything? 

why be scared of them? Tell them to go into a barricaded building activate generator by the door and barricade the door shut leaving them to be killed in a horrible and cruel way. or you could build walls around them and let them slowly go insane.

So you're gonna build your own little Auschwitz complete with a gas chamber and everything? 

I do the same thing in Rimworld when i don't need a prisoner, leave him in the "heating room" and watch him burn slowly.

I am sure a lot of players will somehow exploit the NPCs into some sort of "Removing the ladders from the swiming pool in the Sims" kind of way.