CCTV

_Gold_

Simple suggestion, most businesses in PZ (i.e. Knox Bank) would have cctv in real life. There would be a monitor room (that would require a key to enter) and possibly passcodes you would have to enter to access the system. It would allow players to see where zombies are around/outside their safehouse, without having to go to a window or go outside. 

I'm not sure the limitations of the game engine, but I see no reason a picture-in-picture method wouldn't work. You just push "E" (who didn't see that coming?) when standing in front of a monitor station, and a window pops up on the screen displaying the cameras point of view. Perform any action, and the window disappears.

I'm not sure the limitations of the game engine, but I see no reason a picture-in-picture method wouldn't work. You just push "E" (who didn't see that coming?) when standing in front of a monitor station, and a window pops up on the screen displaying the cameras point of view. Perform any action, and the window disappears.

i like the idea but once again you and i don't know the limitations very well. I would like something like that but i feel my method may be easier and be better for when NPC's come as well.

The problem with that idea is that the environment of PZ dont seen to be a 3D world. If it was then the possibility of changing camera position would be easy ofr the devs. Point-of-View for the cameras would be impossible to do otherwise.

A better idea would be to toy with the line of sigh parameters while you interact with the CCTV monitor.

I mean, ingame if we (players) are inside a building with no windows (or with barricated windows) we cant see what's outside or even inside other rooms in the building because of walls and such. By interacting with the CCTV monitor the fog of war of those areas (the ones with cameras of course) would be lifted while we are near the monitor, allowing us (up to a degree that will be dependent on the type and capacity of the camera) to see whats happening in those areas.

That way there's no need for new code miracles, you just need a tweak or two on the fog of war mechanic.

Just my two cents

Well, when I say the cameras point of view, I simply mean showing us what we would see in-game were we standing where the camera is placed. I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult, as split screen coop already has the game render two separate perspectives simultaneously. It could be as simple as adding another "player", split screen style, displayed in a smaller window, and stationary.

i like the idea but once again you and i don't know the limitations very well. I would like something like that but i feel my method may be easier and be better for when NPC's come as well.

In the case of this suggestion, I really don't see programmable capability being the issue.

I'm not sure just any one person could figure out how to set this up without damaging at least some of the equipment while you figure it out.  If you plug something in incorrectly, it can wreck your entire setup.  Finding pre-set cameras is a little more likely, but that's also a huge drain on power.  I suppose it all comes down to if you can balance it in the game.

Hmm, this seems like a good idea to me; security cameras are more common than most ppl thinks. Aside from stores and offices, many ppl sets them outside their homes. Also, they'd give a good use to TVs once the broadcasts end.

Installation wise, it's pretty easy (I've worked installing them); I dunno how they were in the 80-90, but many of them just require to be plugged to power and a cord that brings the image to a TV, and it's the same kind of cord (good ol' coaxial cable) used everywhere for TV Cable. In fact, the most complex ones to install are the ones with modern gadgets like motion detectors or that use WiFi instead of a cord, and there was none of that in the 80-90.

As for energy consumption, they consume about the same power a desk lamp does, plus the TV's power. I'm pretty sure a fridge consumes far more....

In terms of scavenging, you could just grab the pre-set ones (found in banks, supermarkets and pretty much behind the cashier of every dinner or restaurant) find a length of coaxial (this should require at least a low level Electrician skill, as it DOES take some skill to install the plugs of a coaxial cable) grab a TV, hook them together and to a power source an voila! Big Brother is Watching You.

As for in-game function, I think that the lifting of the fog would be pretty good, unless it's possible to create some kind of actual interface (Dunno about it).

Hmm, this seems like a good idea to me; security cameras are more common than most ppl thinks. Aside from stores and offices, many ppl sets them outside their homes. Also, they'd give a good use to TVs once the broadcasts end.

Installation wise, it's pretty easy (I've worked installing them); I dunno how they were in the 80-90, but many of them just require to be plugged to power and a cord that brings the image to a TV, and it's the same kind of cord (good ol' coaxial cable) used everywhere for TV Cable. In fact, the most complex ones to install are the ones with modern gadgets like motion detectors or that use WiFi instead of a cord, and there was none of that in the 80-90.

As for energy consumption, they consume about the same power a desk lamp does, plus the TV's power. I'm pretty sure a fridge consumes far more....

In terms of scavenging, you could just grab the pre-set ones (found in banks, supermarkets and pretty much behind the cashier of every dinner or restaurant) find a length of coaxial (this should require at least a low level Electrician skill, as it DOES take some skill to install the plugs of a coaxial cable) grab a TV, hook them together and to a power source an voila! Big Brother is Watching You.

As for in-game function, I think that the lifting of the fog would be pretty good, unless it's possible to create some kind of actual interface (Dunno about it).

well remember, this is Kentucky in small towns during the 80s/90s. i don't think cameras will be all to common on houses.

Not on houses (unless the owner is rich), but on banks and some stores yes.

my point. to dismantle there you need to clear hordes which would take quiet a bit of work. It would also mean having someone skilled to dismantle and set them up quickly enough that you don't become sitting ducks in a bank for a day or two.

Actually you only need the cameras and the suporters where they are placed.

The wiring for then, be it for power or transmiting the image, is quite easy to acquired. You can find then in any electronic/TV shop from the middle 80's and after.

The only problem would be for rotating cameras, since those (if the player wish then) would need also the armature that houses the rotating mechanism to properly work. To get those, one would need a lot of time (and some knowledge) to remove then porperly.

The only problem would be for rotating cameras, since those (if the player wish then) would need also the armature that houses the rotating mechanism to properly work. To get those, one would need a lot of time (and some knowledge) to remove then porperly.

Or you could use something very simple and some string to pull to turn it?

LOL... no, I am talking about cameras that rotate autonomous, sweeping an area to cover the most perimeter

LOL... no, I am talking about cameras that rotate autonomous, sweeping an area to cover the most perimeter

those are a pain to install. its like trying to get the VCR's clocks to not flash 12.

• 1 month later...

It is easier, I think. 

If they the Devs provide a "warning alert" moodle it can provide useful information without so many problems. 

If something (dead or alive) pass in front of the camera you are monitoring, the "warning" pops up and you know something is just there. You can click the monitors you are watching at, with some limits. Also works for other detection devices. From can-wired-fences that sounds and alert you if you are near, to movement sensors that you can get from the supermarket auto-door. 

These are simply features that can give us a lot of fun, more tools to survive and some interesting defensive items.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to make this thread get up like a dead survivor after a few seconds but I was wandering around West Point and I found this:

post-21907-0-04284600-1449875559_thumb.p

Wouldn't those do great for the CCTV idea? I found them at Knox Bank in West Point, and yes, you can pick them up and carry them home.

Imagine you grab the cameras from the bank along with those and set them on your safehouse.