Unable to Attack With Aim Button Set as Control

Pershonkey

Question

Hello Project Zomboid community!

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this or if this has been brought up in some capacity before, as I'm a bit new in this neck of the woods.

I'm not sure why, but after installing the most recent update I am no longer able to aim+attack using "control" as my aim/sneak/strafe button. Starting only after I updated, attacking (using the LMB, of course) while aiming using control would instead bring up the rightclick menu (for example, when "attacking" with the mouse on empty ground I'd get the "walk to" button).

Control + click on Mac does, in general, equal rightclick, but I've never before had an issue with this before updating, leading me to hope that there's a way to circumvent the issue. If not, this is by no means a gamebreaking issue as remaping it to another key works fine, although control is in a very convenient place on my keyboard, and I'd prefer to not have to relearn PZ combat. Not to mention, of course, other Mac players having issues with the default setting.

I'm on a Mac, which may be part of the problem, running OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), and using a Macbook Air (trackpad). I'm running PZ version 32.27 on Steam.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, was there a way to get around it besides changing the keybind?

Thanks to those who've read this, and happy skull-cleaving!

- Pershonkey

6 answers to this question

The game was updated to a newer version of LWJGL which handles all the mouse input.  It seems Control + Left Click == Right Click is the normal behavior on the Mac and that is how the newer LWJGL library wants to do things.  As far as I know, there is no way for the game to change that behavior.  You can assign a different key instead of Control to aim or hold the right mouse button to aim.

Thanks for the fast response; that's a bit disappointing, but such is life!

Since Mac has no way (that I've found) to disable Control+LMB=RMB, I tried using some outside programs to disable that for me, which worked to a limited extent (although it has a strange habit only letting me do something once per "aim").

In the end I just ended up remapping option to the control key and vice versa, which appears to "solve" the problem. I guess I'll stay stuck in my stubborn ways for a while longer - at least until I try to write some accents for a French assignment and forget that time when I flipped those keys!

I just bought this game and I have the same problem. I'm unable to ctrl + left click to attack. Is this expected behaviour?

See GIF: http://i.imgur.com/OcKNQJF.gifv

In the GIF above, I'm holding CTRL and left clicking frantically, but it seems to just bring up the contextual 'Walk To' menu. I've never been able to attack. This is game breaking for me.

Any suggestions?

Are you not on a Mac?

The game was updated to a newer version of LWJGL which handles all the mouse input.  It seems Control + Left Click == Right Click is the normal behavior on the Mac and that is how the newer LWJGL library wants to do things.  As far as I know, there is no way for the game to change that behavior.  You can assign a different key instead of Control to aim or hold the right mouse button to aim.

I had this same problem, mostly because I use a trackpad laptop macbook that can't actually both left click and right click at once. What I wound up doing was setting aim to left shift and running to right shift. That way you can easily access it without either inconveniencing your wasd usage or making it impossible to move certain diagonals by holding down the wrong letter key, and when you want to run, you can let go of the mouse to do it, since you don't need the mouse while running anyway. It's working out quite well for me so far.