Released: Build 32.27

EasyPickins

Client update via steam. Problem with the server update on my Linux dedicated server.

Command used (username and password are filled properly):

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir /home/steam* +app_update 108600" validate +exit

The result is:

./steamcmd.sh: line 34: /home/steam/steamcmd/linux32/steamcmd: No such file or directory

What the hell is going on?

There is in fact a steamcmd file in that directory, its permissions are set to rwxr-xr-x

Help please?

You're updating the server?

• The server appID is 380870.
  • +force_install_dir /home/steam*          what's the * doing there?
  • +app_update 108600"                        what's the " doing there?

WE NEED CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS!

We don't need to rush anything, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Updated the server, and it seems to start and runs, but now it's failing to connect. On the server side it keeps saying "Received 255".

Is the server not being run in steam mode, perhaps you're using a custom script to launch it?

My game crashes when I try to connect to my server.

I have tried restarting the server. restarting the client machine.

reinstalling java on both, client and server machine (both use open java-8) 64bit as it is 64bit Ubuntu 15.03
I did app_update 380870 validate on the server machine (to check wether files were corrupted).

My ports are forwarded as follows:

16261:udp

16262-16330:tcp

I can connect to the server and I can create a character, however on loading map it just crashes. I can connect fine to other servers.

in the server console I can see that everything runs fine till port assignment: 16262, client seems connected fine.

then,

connection closed: reason=1 port=1

disconnecting client ID

auth failed

sending ticket

response: 4

I have tried connecting wiht -nosteam option, but then my server will not show up at all.

My Nitrado server Ive been using for months wont work any longer. Ive already tried the -nosteam thing and while it allowed me to finally make contact with the server through PZ it says the files I have do not match the files of the server. I am them booted from the game. EVERY TIME.

Really frustrating as after about a months break my friends and I have decided to take it back up. Looks like this is putting them off.

Thanks for all the hard work guys! I've been going through a bit of a rough patch, personal issues and work related problems. My boss retired, no one to fill his position and I've had to take it all without even an ounce of compensation. Still the case, but now things are much more manageable. 

I hope to be a little bit more active from time to than I have been lately here on TIS forums.

My game crashes when I try to connect to my server.

I have tried restarting the server. restarting the client machine.

reinstalling java on both, client and server machine (both use open java-8) 64bit as it is 64bit Ubuntu 15.03

I did app_update 380870 validate on the server machine (to check wether files were corrupted).

My ports are forwarded as follows:

16261:udp

16262-16330:tcp

I can connect to the server and I can create a character, however on loading map it just crashes. I can connect fine to other servers.

in the server console I can see that everything runs fine till port assignment: 16262, client seems connected fine.

then,

connection closed: reason=1 port=1

disconnecting client ID

auth failed

sending ticket

response: 4

I have tried connecting wiht -nosteam option, but then my server will not show up at all.

Steam servers require 1 extra port, specified by SteamPort1= in the INI file.  That might be why authenticating fails.

My Nitrado server Ive been using for months wont work any longer. Ive already tried the -nosteam thing and while it allowed me to finally make contact with the server through PZ it says the files I have do not match the files of the server. I am them booted from the game. EVERY TIME.

Really frustrating as after about a months break my friends and I have decided to take it back up. Looks like this is putting them off.

If your files don't match try validating the server files (assuming you used steamcmd to install the server) and client files (using "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" through the game's Steam properties).

is there a list of all command-line options of ProjectZomboidXX.exe client/server ?

and is it possible to overwrite the vmArgs located in ProjectZomboidXX.json?  (ProjectZomboidXX -vmArgs )

On Linux (and only on Linux) you can pass -pzexeconfig filename.json to use a custom .json file.  I could change it so it looks for ProjectZomboid64.site.json or similar if that's easier?

You don't have to use ProjectZomboid64/32 to start the server.  At the bottom of start-server.sh is code for the old way of starting the server straight from Java.

On Linux (and only on Linux) you can pass -pzexeconfig filename.json to use a custom .json file.  I could change it so it looks for ProjectZomboid64.site.json or similar if that's easier?

why only linux? it would be better all systems has the same command line options.

i have a custom webinterface for my gameservers (win & linux) .

command lines are stored in database, so i can make change any time if needed, without to open/edit the gameserver files through sftp/ftp

Like:  ProjectZomboid64/32 -maxRam 1024M -minRam 1024M  -others

You don't have to use ProjectZomboid64/32 to start the server.  At the bottom of start-server.sh is code for the old way of starting the server straight from Java.

i know that, but ProjectZomboid64/32 is a good identifier, instead of java in the running task. 

Updated the server, and it seems to start and runs, but now it's failing to connect. On the server side it keeps saying "Received 255".

Is the server not being run in steam mode, perhaps you're using a custom script to launch it?

I dont believe it is running in steam mode, no. I am using the projectzomboid dedi server .sh file, the way the old tutorials say to do it on the PZ wiki. Is there a new way to run the server?

I suppose it is only a matter of time before a detailed walkthrough/how-to post is made for using the new steam servers. It is nice that everyone is getting their questions answered right away here, but a collective post would be fantastic. Honestly the info should be added to the existing stickies in the multiplayer->help section.

Keep up the great work! :)

Enigma, where is server-start.sh typically located? The installation created a projectzomboid folder on the server in the steam directory, but I don't see that file there.

It doesn't sound like you've installed this correctly. The server package installs in a directory called "Project Zomboid Dedicated Server."

Could you please link me to a comprehensive installation manual for linux? My old method worked from build 27 and up to now.

Is there a documentation for the new changes, like a step by step?

Did I miss an obvious big forum thread where the new process is explained for server admins? Because the installation seems to have been completely changed, but there is nowhere you can find the instructions.

How do you install and run the server in non steam mode?

Please, just follow the instructions for SteamCMD then go to Steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid Dedicated Server and run the start-server.sh file.

To then modify it to run in no-steam mode .etc you edit the json file appropriate to your system's architecture, as EasyPickins mentions above.

The guide in the original post is for windows.

I decided to just try a clean install. Deleted all directories, now just have /home/steam
Got SteamCMD setup. It's working to try and download.

Now I used the command:

./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/steam/ +app_update 380870 validate +exit

And the result is:

FAILED with result code 20. ERROR! Failed to request AppInfo update, not online or not logged in to Steam.