Alternative energy

Renat546

I welcome, I wanted to bring up this question long ago

Plan - whether you to add to game alternative ways of production of energy? For example by means of a wind, water and the sun. I would like that players would have opportunity to get energy with the help of wind-driven generators, water-mills or solar batteries. Or even whenever possible, to build them.

I look forward to hearing from you

P.S. Forgive if it isn't similar to a question, and is one requirement more.

Also I didn't add yet that I want to see it in game not only for the sake of a variety...

For example in which district you live fuel will end and to go for the sake of couple of cylinders, etc. extremely risky, besides that it will last not for long.

Remember guys... the setting of the game is in the 80's-90's. At that time there were very few methods to make bio-fuel/diesel.

And also you would need various professions to set something up and getting working, shit needs to be hard or otherwise no one is going to use generators.

Actually you only need to be a professional chemist, have access to the right materials and most important "Time" to make something.

Being specialized in bio-chemistry would help but its not really necessary.

Also if the guy is a chemist and he find a alchool based generator all he need to keep the generator running is a steady production of alchool he can produce with grains like corn.

It is a subject about renewable resources)

Millet is strange that in a subject about a wind, water and the sun, started discussing biofuel

And the diesel is extremely inefficient, in the winter it freezes at-10

I didn't see winter in game therefore I don't know what temperature there.

most of those techs were available in the 90s, but not widely distributed. I'm guessing finding a solar panel in averageville, KS back in the 90s would have been quite an impressive find. I personally liked an idea pitched in another thread about modifying cars and genies to run on booze (high level mechanic perhaps?) and having the ability to brew some good ol moonshine :D (high level cooking?) It's a versatile idea and lets face it, if you're trying to rebuild civilization you HAVE to start with a good distillery XD

most of those techs were available in the 90s, but not widely distributed. I'm guessing finding a solar panel in averageville, KS back in the 90s would have been quite an impressive find. I personally liked an idea pitched in another thread about modifying cars and genies to run on booze (high level mechanic perhaps?) and having the ability to brew some good ol moonshine :D (high level cooking?) It's a versatile idea and lets face it, if you're trying to rebuild civilization you HAVE to start with a good distillery XD

More than high level mechanic skill involved. Alchool based vehicle engines use parts made of different materials to run and most have specific extra components to allow the safely use of methanol as fuel. Most of the time is a combination of the right parts and the right components to make a convertion of a gasoline engine into a methanol engine. Good luck trying to find then in a backwater location those parts and components.

Given that USA until the last decade or so was more GAS oriented in matter of vehicle types you would be in a very unsavory position to try and make that convertion away from a great city.

More than high level mechanic skill involved. Alchool based vehicle engines use parts made of different materials to run and most have specific extra components to allow the safely use of methanol as fuel. Most of the time is a combination of the right parts and the right components to make a convertion of a gasoline engine into a methanol engine. Good luck trying to find then in a backwater location those parts and components.

Given that USA until the last decade or so was more GAS oriented in matter of vehicle types you would be in a very unsavory position to try and make that convertion away from a great city.

i like how you make it sound so complex but i just managed to make a alcohol based engines before. again it was with help and this stuff was not like whiskey. It was like that stuff in avengers: age of ultron. Having nerdy friends is fun.

i like how you make it sound so complex but i just managed to make a alcohol based engines before. again it was with help and this stuff was not like whiskey. It was like that stuff in avengers: age of ultron. Having nerdy friends is fun.

It was not my intention to sound so complex.

The fact remains though that converting a gasoline engine to run on methanol is no easy task even today and it involve the acquiring of new parts to add/replace in the engine.

In the USA of the 90's, in a location quite away from a large city, the chances of the players finding those specilized parts is frankly quite low.

Remember guys... the setting of the game is in the 80's-90's. At that time there were very few methods to make bio-diesel.

I'm slightly confused by this mindset... The game doesn't allow you to start in the 1980's but it does allow you to start all the way into modern day times. The earliest year you can start in is 1993, and there doesn't seem to be any limit on how far into the future you can start.

I'm not saying your claim that bio-diesel is difficult to obtain isn't true, but I've seen more than one person claim that the game takes place in the 80's, which is interesting given that Sandbox doesn't allow this.

I welcome, I wanted to bring up this question long ago

Plan - whether you to add to game alternative ways of production of energy? For example by means of a wind, water and the sun. I would like that players would have opportunity to get energy with the help of wind-driven generators, water-mills or solar batteries. Or even whenever possible, to build them.

I look forward to hearing from you

P.S. Forgive if it isn't similar to a question, and is one requirement more.

Solar panels would be very nice ! :)

Building a huge dam at the west point river? :o 

I think people vastly over-estimate the effectiveness of solar panels. My standard 4x2 panels that I have produce 100watts/hr at peak performance (perfectly angled with no dust on the surface, and no clouds in the sky or haze).

My 'Energy Star' refrigerator uses 5.2 amps at 115v AC. So thats 598watts/hr. I need 6 panels running at absolute peak performance to power my fridge for an hour. Light bulbs are easy, they are measured in watts. I would say a 60 watt bulb was pretty standard before CFL or LEDs emerged.

Mind you this is based on 2015 efficiency. Solar panels were no where near as efficient in 1993, nor were home appliances.

I'm not saying its not possible, but you're gonna need a pretty impressive solar array and battery bank to run your home in PZ on solar.

Also for any of these suggested systems (solar, wind/water mill) you are going to need a charge controller (so you don't fry your batteries), an impressive battery bank, and a DC inverter with an appropriate wattage output to power your AC appliances/devices.

Factor in the default year is 1993, I doubt the average joe would have a charge controller or DC inverter laying around, or even know what one looks like.

I'm not saying it isn't possible. After all, I have a solar system at home that I use to charge all my peripherals (cell phones, tablets, batteries for power tools, etc) and I am not a professional electrician. But, I had the advantage of the internet.

Also where are you going to find solar panels in 1993? Other than a highway equipment depot, I am at a loss for anywhere you would likely find them at in KY in 1993.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add to this.

If you really wanted to run your fridge 24hrs a day you need to estimate what your daily sun exposure would be. I did a quick Google and found that Louisville, KY gets just about 7 hours of sunlight a day on average over the entire year. Assuming I am using my modern Energy Star rated fridge that requires about 600watts/hr, I would need 14,400 watts (14.4kw) to run it each day. I have on average 7 hours a day to produce this electricity. So I would need to produce about 2,057 watts/hr. That would require about 21 100watt (modern home use/retail) solar panels.

That's a big solar array you need just to run your fridge.

You could make the argument that you don't need to have the fridge on for 24hrs a day and you could turn it off for a few hours each day as long as you didn't open it. You would still need a lot of cells to make it work though.

Its plausible, but not very realistic, and thats at today's efficiency levels.

It is possible to begin in game not only from 93 years
And game isn't so realistic, energy in game is just necessary to a thicket for refrigerators or water

But the devs would have to build different item sets based on different years then. If they didn't we would find modern items that wouldn't be around back in 1993. If its not likely to be common in 1993 (the default game setting) I don't think we should expect to see it in game anytime soon.

Not against the idea of having different item sets for different eras, but I don't expect it anytime soon.

The devs chose 1993 for some reason, thats what we gotta go with for now.

Maybe a mod?