Gaining XP in "fitness" and "strength" "skills" takes too much time.

Adamiks

Ok, I did some testing (it wasn't too boring).

Here's what I did:

I started an unemployed character with no traits. My base fitness and strength were both level 5.

I started a new sandbox game with no zombies and no XP boosts or other default setting changes.

I survived 1 week. I ate chips, chocolate, orange soda, cereal, and pie. I wouldn't consider any of those particularly good nutritious foods that would help your fitness and strength. Maybe the cereal I suppose looking back.

I did not sprint at any time and I did not overburden my character. I did carry some items (water bottles, food, magazines, etc) and I did have to break a few windows and climb in through them in search for food occasionally. *Note: if doing this again, change the locked door setting to none*

I stood outside not moving until I absolutely needed to for food, water, shelter, or sleep. Otherwise I stood still outside doing nothing.

BTW: Just standing still outside doing nothing for 12 hours straight does not make your character bored.

Results:

• 0.75XP gain in blunt maintenance. I onetime broke a window by swinging at it instead of using the right-click sub menu to 'smash window'.
  • 7 XP in fitness
  • 38 XP in Strength

Based on this, I would say that there is no current degradation of fitness and strength. If there is, it needs some adjusting because I was about as lazy as possible for a week and gained fitness and strength.

TLDR: Make it easier to go up in levels, but also easier to go down in levels. This way every camp in the discussion wins :) It remains extremely difficult to reach the pinnacle, but you will see improvement sooner if you work hard at it. If you don't, or cant, you'll lose what you gained and may end up lower than where you started.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter

I think any comparison between real life fitness/strength again/loss and the game is hard to do. In real life when training to get fit you eat more than a bag of chips a day etc.

Diet and fitness are closely linked and both are rather complex. They also both vary greatly between different people.

I imagine it would be hard to create a detailed system that took all the variables into account? this would probably take time away from other features.

So I'm not sure what I think about this? It would be great to have a better system in place but would it be worth it?

Leveling up fitness and strength is more about preventing degradation (when it's in) than actually get stronger if you ask me. It's fine like that too, as pointed out by half the posters on this thread, getting in shape takes a long while and constant work.

*edit* Rath you sure it's not in? I could've sworn fitness degradation was already a thing.

Sounds like we have some testing to do!

Testing to see if fitness and strength degrade overtime is going to be really really boring to test though. I mean the TV and radio broadcasts aren't in yet, so sitting around the house eating chips all day with nothing to do but read... :)

Well... You made that testing for nothing because i can say you that i got broken leg (due to stupid not-fence looking fence on warehouse...) and i got a LOT of fitness and sprint XP due to "sprinting" (holding shift) so yeah - your XP gain will increase with broken leg rather than decrease.

• 4 months later...

Looking at the game code:

there xp if your tired moodlet changes while running

there is xp if you swing your non ranged weapon dont care if it hits (if u hit more than 1 target get more xp)

there is xp if you carry more than 50% of your max weight

there is a perk gain or loss everytime your strength and fitness stat changes (so if you are feeble you can lose feeble as you get stronger) the loss is based on idle time tick in game so if you do not do any of the above action of gaining xp for a long time (1200 game ticks) than you start losing xp until eventually you will drop your stats and lose beneficial perks. there is a cap at (30000 game timer) after that you will not lose any xp