Server Not Responding

BioS

So, I've set up many my fair share of private servers. But I can't seem to set up one on the latest builds. I assume there are now more steps involved? Not sure. Every server I make says "The server is not responding." under the Server List when I save.

I noticed with the latest builds ( IWBUMS 32.26 (Steam) I'm on... ) it won't allow me to connect. I have the ports set up correctly, I used PF Port Checker to make sure my port was open. My server settings are the same as always ( 16261 ) etc. But no matter what I do, it says 'Connection Failed'.

I'm really not sure how to rectify this.

What I'm guessing is happening here is that the OP is trying to set up the server using the base game files and is setting up a non-steam server and then trying to connect to that with a steam enabled client.

Follow the instructions in EG's link about downloading SteamCMD and grabbing appId 380870 and using that as that's the easy way to do it.

With regards to ports: I don't think steam ports do need to be forwarded anymore. I'm going to write a wiki article on server setup and configuration eventually but as far as I can tell it only needs the game port and map data tcp ports forwarded still. At this time I'm unsure if the game port only needs udp still or if it wants udp and tcp.

Steam port 1 is used to talk to steam and so does need to be able to bind and be allowed outbound access but it doesn't need anything inbound. Most setups allow outbound by default or else things like web browsing won't work for them.

Steam port 2, as far as I can tell, is unused because I think that functionality (query port) is multiplexed into the game port (default 16261.)

After all of the trouble people have been having with ports I'm thinking about how hard it would be to write a mod to put everything on one port TCP/UDP and use UPnP/STUN/TURN to handle forwarding.