More carpentry options.

Necromatic_Corgi

I was thinking since project zomboid is post apocalyptic that there could be more makeshift building options. These are some ideas.

1. Metal walls and doors.

2. Tire walls.

3. Garage doors that you can build so when vehicles are added you can put them in your base.

4. Wooden spikes. So zombies will get stuck on them.

That's all I have for now. Feel free to leave ideas and I will add them.

1. I'm confused how Metal walls and doors could be a possibility because I believe there is an abundance of any sort of metal material in the game right now? aside from nails and door hinges I think. But I'd also like an upgrade from the wooden stuff, so I'm for it.

2. Do you mean the tire walls that combine both a mixture and tires to keep it firmly in place and quite willingly act as a firm barrier? or do you mean the ones that are just stacking of tires. I assume not the latter, and in which case I'm all for.

3. Yes.

4. Please. I need this.

How about digging a trench where the wall's going to be and putting in the beams of wood and then filling it with cement or concrete? That would make each bit of wall better supported by the bit next to it and make it more resistant to being pushed down.

I'm not sure if using metal counts as carpentry but it's a good idea and uses similar skills.

Oops

Edited by Gaffa Tape Warrior

1. I'm confused how Metal walls and doors could be a possibility because I believe there is an abundance of any sort of metal material in the game right now? aside from nails and door hinges I think. But I'd also like an upgrade from the wooden stuff, so I'm for it.

2. Do you mean the tire walls that combine both a mixture and tires to keep it firmly in place and quite willingly act as a firm barrier? or do you mean the ones that are just stacking of tires. I assume not the latter, and in which case I'm all for.

3. Yes.

4. Please. I need this.

About the tires if you have watched the walking dead and seen woodburys walls, Its like that.

How about digging a trench where the wall's going to be and putting in the beams of wood and then filling it with cement or concrete? That would make each bit of wall better supported by the bit next to it and make it more resistant to being pushed down.

I'm not sure if using metal counts as carpentry but it's a good idea and uses similar skills.

this has been suggested before. i recommend looking at some past suggestions.

Sly, you mean those things like 'cheval de frise' to keep zombies out?

These would be awesome to have if you could impale zombies on them!

Imagine a horde trying to push through one of those. The zombies up front would be pushed against those spike endlessly and more and more zombies would be impaled behind them! The zombies wouldn't die of course, but would be stuck on these spikes moaning until you came around to dispatch them...or didn't. Gruesome!

EDIT: Who knows with the upcoming animations update, we might get an impaling animation :) The devs did mention that there was going to be "zombie damage". I speculating that will be bloody cuts and severed limbs though. Broken legs would be cool to see!

Imagine a horde trying to push through one of those. The zombies up front would be pushed against those spike endlessly and more and more zombies would be impaled behind them! The zombies wouldn't die of course, but would be stuck on these spikes moaning until you came around to dispatch them...or didn't. Gruesome!

EDIT: Who knows with the upcoming animations update, we might get an impaling animation :) The devs did mention that there was going to be "zombie damage". I speculating that will be bloody cuts and severed limbs though. Broken legs would be cool to see!

well if they where pushed onto them, wouldn't that mean over time the points would have zombies covering any point to prevent damage?

well if they where pushed onto them, wouldn't that mean over time the points would have zombies covering any point to prevent damage?

eventually, but it would take a few zombies to pile up before that happens. Each stake would take 3 zombies or something to fill up and cover the tip of the spike.

good ideas ! I was hoping that devs will add most of them.

for metal doors and walls i was thinking about adding metal scraps to woodn doors/walls that could add a bit more hp and fire restance. Reinforce wall = 3 metal scraps, 3 screws + screwdriver.

Gates are what my town / castle needs badly. 2 or 3 sets of door just dont look as good :-) a nice 1 x 3 tile gate would be perfect. I hope we see them before vehicle uldate.

wooden spikes are cool idea, i would love to see more traps vs zeds, like those spikes you mentioned, trip wires, bear traps etc. That would be much needed addiction to make trapping skill more interesting.

Regarding metal: Warehouse roofs, aluminum siding on trailers, shipping containers, train cars, hoods, trunks and paneling on old vehicles, box trucks. There are -plenty- of sources of prefabricated metal to be salvaged in the end of the world. You don't even need particularly specialized tools to get your hands on a lot of it. 

Also seconding the spike fortifications. Any edge we can get, right?

Metal doors and sh*t? You can't strip materials off them and bring it with you so I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It would be better if you can just dismantle air ducts and use metal sheets to barricade windows and doors to give them massive extra hp.

Metal doors and sh*t? You can't strip materials off them and bring it with you so I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It would be better if you can just dismantle air ducts and use metal sheets to barricade windows and doors to give them massive extra hp.

I'm not sure if it includes walls and garage doors but the new furniture moving system may allow for all the stuff mentioned in this thread. Remains to be seen how exactly it will be implemented but I don't think it's far-fetched to think you could steal metal sheets from buildings and stick them on yours instead given what we've already seen. Makes more sense too, starting a foundry/smithy in your backyard isn't all that hard but it's not exactly common knowledge either :/

*edit* +1 to wood spikes, it's would be one way to deal with zeds destroying player made stuff on sight while ignoring existing buildings :/ at least we could delay it now.

I'm not sure if it includes walls and garage doors but the new furniture moving system may allow for all the stuff mentioned in this thread. Remains to be seen how exactly it will be implemented but I don't think it's far-fetched to think you could steal metal sheets from buildings and stick them on yours instead given what we've already seen. Makes more sense too, starting a foundry/smithy in your backyard isn't all that hard but it's not exactly common knowledge either :/

*edit* +1 to wood spikes, it's would be one way to deal with zeds destroying player made stuff on sight while ignoring existing buildings :/ at least we could delay it now.

about the smithing thing, yea that is what i just sorta had done. Took a few things like and did that. I managed to make a pretty nice.... Thingy..... I'm still working on the making stuff part.

I literally could do exactly that with just a handful of very common tools. 

How would you feasibly build a garage door, might I ask?

Everything else looks good

A "garage door" is basically a set of metal or wooden slats hinged together and put on rollers. I could accomplish the same basic principle with a few feet of chain link fence, wheels and aluminum rods, a retrofitted drainage gutter, and something to feed through the chain link to act as a physical and visual barrier, such as craft wood, or rope. 

The smooth and pliable metal of a lightweight drainage gutter could readily be cut and bent into shape for the tracks the wheels would need to raise and lower the door. The chain link is the framing material, and the wheels could be affixed to the rods after they were fed through the chain link. Hell, for that matter, if wheels are a sticky wicket for you, a handful of hex nuts and washers would be a serviceable substitute. 

When in doubt, imagine the purpose you're trying to meet... then improvise. 

The only possible materials that you could use to build a metal wall are galvanized roofs, and metal sheets, these are thin enough to be pierce by nails. Maybe you could add them to wall other than plaster making it very very sturdy and tough. 

an interlocking layers of tires would make great wall, if you fill it with cement, dirt or sand makes it an indestructible wall against zombies if would be a heavy job for one man though since one tire is already quite heavy 

wooden stakes would work effectively against zombies with inferior navigation skills 

The only possible materials that you could use to build a metal wall are galvanized roofs, and metal sheets, these are thin enough to be pierce by nails. Maybe you could add them to wall other than plaster making it very very sturdy and tough. 

an interlocking layers of tires would make great wall, if you fill it with cement, dirt or sand makes it an indestructible wall against zombies if would be a heavy job for one man though since one tire is already quite heavy 

wooden stakes would work effectively against zombies with inferior navigation skills 

very true except the metal part. if you base a wall sheer from metal or piece a hole in the metal and fasten it to something then put a type of post behind it and it would work.

"The only possible materials that you could use to build a metal wall are galvanized roofs, and metal sheets, these are thin enough to be pierce by nails."

Hey, but people in modern world built everything using only hammer and nails? The answer is no. There is a lot of tools that would help you to do it, but i'm not going deep here because it's just obvious (if it isn't just google it ;d).