Drawing a knife quickly

Gaffa Tape Warrior

In project zombied if you are holding a fire axe and you want to draw a knife so you press 3, it takes almost two seconds to draw the knife. In reality I can wear a knife somewhere so that I can draw it in not even half a second.

My suggestion is to have it so that you can draw your knife quickly when you need it. You might say that it takes two seconds because he wants to put his axe away. In that case he can draw his knife with one hand and keep holding the axe with the other hand, or drop the axe completely (with steel foot and leg coverings ideally). I remember it also takes a long time to draw a knife when one knife breaks. I think that got one of my guys bitten or something, expecting to be able to quickly draw the next knife but not being able to.

Skv, after reading what you said I put a knife in a sheath on a belt. The belt was around my waist , and the sheath was in front of my body to the right, slanting to my right. I held an axe in both hands. I let go of my axe with my right hand and moved that hand down to the handle of my knife and gripped it and lifted it up in the air. The time between letting go of my axe and drawing my knife was certainly about half a second or more likely less.

Lerk, I say something about that up there at the top of the page. You would not need to put your axe in your backpack. You could put it on your belt.

I would love a "holster" option. It would require a new item in the game, that being holsters for knives or firearms, as well as a new keybind.

First, the player would have to "wear" the holster item the same way we wear a belt or shoes, etc. Then, from within the inventory, right-clicking applicable items would yield the "Holster" option, allowing you to assign said item to the "holster" keybind. When pressed, the keybind causes your character to drop whatever is in his hands and immediately equip the holstered item. Pressing it again would holster the item, but at a slightly slower speed than the initial draw. Whatever was dropped would have to manually be picked back up.

Skv, after reading what you said I put a knife in a sheath on a belt. The belt was around my waist , and the sheath was in front of my body to the right, slanting to my right. I held an axe in both hands. I let go of my axe with my right hand and moved that hand down to the handle of my knife and gripped it and lifted it up in the air. The time between letting go of my axe and drawing my knife was certainly about half a second or more likely less.

Lerk, I say something about that up there at the top of the page. You would not need to put your axe in your backpack. You could put it on your belt.

First off I really admire your dedication. But I think you missed a couple of important things. Sheaths are not in the game and the knife most used in game is a massive kitchen knife. Try doing the same test with a big ass kitchen knife in your belt. Make sure that the knife is in a safe position where it will not fall out or stab you if you ran around.

Secondly the two seconds probably represents you drawing the knife in every imaginable situation. It's just a game thing...

First off I really admire your dedication. But I think you missed a couple of important things. Sheaths are not in the game and the knife most used in game is a massive kitchen knife. Try doing the same test with a big ass kitchen knife in your belt. Make sure that the knife is in a safe position where it will not fall out or stab you if you ran around.

Secondly the two seconds probably represents you drawing the knife in every imaginable situation. It's just a game thing...

I had assumed that when he is carrying things that are not in a backpack he has some other way of carrying them that makes sense. If he is carrying a torch and a battery and some matches and two knives and a hammer and some nails then I assumed that he is said to have them in pouches and sheaths on a belt or belts. They seem to be quickly accessible and on his body rather than being in a bag on his back. The devs could make it so that we have to get belts and get appropriate materials and make pouches, before ending up with pretty much what we have already, if they wanted to. Otherwise there is no explanation for where he keeps those things. In his chest hair?

I did use a kitchen knife, with a blade eight inches long. It was just a bread knife. The sheath was not made for it and was too big so I had to pad the bottom of it to make the handle stick out, and pad it beside the blade to give friction to keep the knife still in it. I do not really want to make a sheath for this knife, but it is entirely possible to make one for any knife really. Having it in a safe position, and having it tight enough to keep the knife from falling out are both quite possible.

I'm not sure what you mean about two seconds being for drawing the knife in every imaginable situation. This might incude being inside on a dark winter night when there is water on your hand and water on your knife when you are so tired and scared and cold that you barely feel your fingers? Yes, in some situations you may fumble and fail to grasp the handle of your knife, with variables involved like also skill and the design of the knife and how you wear it. But I really think that having the longest time as the time for every time is a silly idea, so I doubt that's the reason. Two seconds is too long.

At the first tick of the clock, flinch your hand to your right hip where your knife would be. Then wait until the second tick which says that a whole second has elapsed. Then wait almost another second before finally lifting your arm upwards with your imaginary knife in hand. That delay of well more than a second is wasted time. Having the time taken to draw a knife be much shorter would make it much more representative of how long it would take an actual person who is wearing it sensibly.

I had assumed that when he is carrying things that are not in a backpack he has some other way of carrying them that makes sense. If he is carrying a torch and a battery and some matches and two knives and a hammer and some nails then I assumed that he is said to have them in pouches and sheaths on a belt or belts. They seem to be quickly accessible and on his body rather than being in a bag on his back. The devs could make it so that we have to get belts and get appropriate materials and make pouches, before ending up with pretty much what we have already, if they wanted to. Otherwise there is no explanation for where he keeps those things. In his chest hair?

It's not so much where he's carrying it. It's more to do with the fact that there would be a complaint wave if you'd be able to carry only things that would realistically fit on your body.

It's not so much where he's carrying it. It's more to do with the fact that there would be a complaint wave if you'd be able to carry only things that would realistically fit on your body.

I'm not sure what you mean but oh.
I mean you should probably think of it more as a gameplay concession than a realism thing...

Making computer games is a balancing act between game and reality. People happily accepted that building a table only takes seconds and complain if drawing a weapon is too slow.

If people are unhappy with the knife speed then maybe it is too slow. I have never had a problem with it but I don't normally use knifes.

It would be nice if the dev team had time to add a realistic pocket system but realistic can be annoying.

If reality was so much fun we wouldn't all be playing computer games :P

I think you are saying that in response to something I said, but misunderstanding me. I will therefore rephrase myself.

Sheaths are not in the game

It is true that in the game we do not manually tell our guy to get a sheath and wear it, so I assumed that we were meant to assume that he does that automatically. In PZ you can have things in bags and also if you are not wearing bags you can still carry a nice amount of things. I assumed he had some way of another of carrying them that we did not have to worry about. If his axe is in his backpack then it takes him longer to equip it than if it is in his general load of stuff. If you want to access your pistol and axe and knife quickly then you have them in that inventory. The box on the top, whatever it's called. Because those things are quick to access I think it is fair to assume that sheaths are already in the game, just invisible. And that his axe is on a belt or something like that. Things in that inventory can be said to just be carried in some way or another that makes sense. You said that sheaths were not in the game, and this is why I say this. They pretty much are, just assumed. Unless they are kept in chest hair.

The devs could make it so that we have to get belts and get appropriate materials and make pouches and sheaths, before ending up with pretty much what we have already, if they wanted to. Unless that happens it only makes sense to assume that the quick-access knives that are not in a backpack are in sheaths already. In that case it is sensible to assume that knives are worn so that they can be drawn quickly. In that case I think that knives in particular should be particularly fast to draw, because it is possible in reality.

No vid no proof. ;)

No vid no proof. ;)

Please excuse me for not putting my image on the internet for all to download. You could try it yourself, and if you can do it then you know it is possible. You need to know where your handle is, and as your hand goes down to where you know it is you should feel the handle in your hand. If there is a handguard or a large blade or large sleath or something like that, then there is something that stops your hand for you, so you can be really hasty and still do it. Otherwise the end of the handle in the palm of your hand or thumb can tell you hand when to stop. Or if there is a large pommel on the handle then as you move your hand up the sleath and onto the handle your hand catches that and up goes the knife with your hand. Once you have properly jerked your hand to your hip you have to close your fingers. This step is very easy. Then you need to move your arm upwards with the point pointing downwards and your thumb over the top of the handle unless it's got a hand-guard to stop your hand from sliding over the blade. This step is easy too. The only bit that might be tricky is getting your hand on the handle. If you glance down at it then that may help you.

No vid no proof. ;)

Please excuse me for not putting my image on the internet for all to download. You could try it yourself, and if you can do it then you know it is possible. You need to know where your handle is, and as your hand goes down to where you know it is you should feel the handle in your hand. If there is a handguard or a large blade or large sleath or something like that, then there is something that stops your hand for you, so you can be really hasty and still do it. Otherwise the end of the handle in the palm of your hand or thumb can tell you hand when to stop. Or if there is a large pommel on the handle then as you move your hand up the sleath and onto the handle your hand catches that and up goes the knife with your hand. Once you have properly jerked your hand to your hip you have to close your fingers. This step is very easy. Then you need to move your arm upwards with the point pointing downwards and your thumb over the top of the handle unless it's got a hand-guard to stop your hand from sliding over the blade. This step is easy too. The only bit that might be tricky is getting your hand on the handle. If you glance down at it then that may help you.

Ujw9MVI.gif

I would love a "holster" option. It would require a new item in the game, that being holsters for knives or firearms, as well as a new keybind.

First, the player would have to "wear" the holster item the same way we wear a belt or shoes, etc. Then, from within the inventory, right-clicking applicable items would yield the "Holster" option, allowing you to assign said item to the "holster" keybind. When pressed, the keybind causes your character to drop whatever is in his hands and immediately equip the holstered item. Pressing it again would holster the item, but at a slightly slower speed than the initial draw. Whatever was dropped would have to manually be picked back up.

I like it the way it is, currently, as most people aren't all Quick-Draw McGraw (seriously, same arguments for quick-drawing could be made for pistols).

But I like this idea with the holsters for knives (maybe also holsters for handguns) a lot.

I like it the way it is, currently, as most people aren't all Quick-Draw McGraw (seriously, same arguments for quick-drawing could be made for pistols).

But I like this idea with the holsters for knives (maybe also holsters for handguns) a lot.

this would be a great idea. having holsters, slings, and sheaths be used for a quick draw but only if certain conditions are met. Such as you must have at least 1 free hand, if you don't the item your holding goes into secondary. if the gun (say a shotgun with a sling) is quick drawn then you would drop the weapon or put it away somehow.