Tone down erosion?

slimane13

It's a bit out of hand right now. I set up at the north farm (just check the pz interactive map) it starts out with a huge field with no trees which is very useful to see the zombies coming. Yet i'm now 4 months in and it's become almost a complete forest. Same for the narrow passage you use to get from the farm to the city/highway.

I think it's an awesome addition, makes the world feel a lot more alive and gives the sense of an apocalypse, but its overtuned right now. I checked the sandbox settings and it defaults at 100 days for 100% growth. Somehow I doubt that it takes only 100 days for a full forest of pine trees to grow from an empty field.

Maybe make the default erosion more like 200/300 days for 100%? I suppose they wanted most people to at least see some parts of the erosion before they died. And not many people hit the 1 year mark.

I love the feature and how it can add that I Am Legend-sort of feeling to the game's environment, but I agree that the default is setting is way too fast. It should be set lower so that when you survive long enough, you have the pleasant surprise of experiencing its effects, and it's not way too fast compared to real life. I also feel like the different "erosion" effects should be tuned differently.

For instance, asphalt cracking and having potholes show up on it should at least take one winter to occur due to weathering effects. Vines can grow crazy-fast, so those are somewhat plausible as they are already. Bushes and such can also come up quite quickly. But the trees are the real immersion breaker for me. A forest with full trees springing up over the course of a few months is pretty crazy. I feel like seeing full trees grow should be that thing that only the most awesome of survivors should have the reward of witnessing, a matter of game years by comparison.

I love the feature and how it can add that I Am Legend-sort of feeling to the game's environment, but I agree that the default is setting is way too fast. It should be set lower so that when you survive long enough, you have the pleasant surprise of experiencing its effects, and it's not way too fast compared to real life. I also feel like the different "erosion" effects should be tuned differently.

For instance, asphalt cracking and having potholes show up on it should at least take one winter to occur due to weathering effects. Vines can grow crazy-fast, so those are somewhat plausible as they are already. Bushes and such can also come up quite quickly. But the trees are the real immersion breaker for me. A forest with full trees springing up over the course of a few months is pretty crazy. I feel like seeing full trees grow should be that thing that only the most awesome of survivors should have the reward of witnessing, a matter of game years by comparison.

Btw Wratts, we play on the slowest available setting, 500 days.