Bucket for collecting rain and others

Buzzkil88

So the only current option of collecting rain is getting to carpentry level 4 and making rain collectors? right?  The bucket would be a nice option early on instead of having to grind out 4 levels of carpentry. The tarp could also work. Use the spade to dig a hole and put the tarp in it.

Really any of the liquid containers would catch rain. Bucket, mug, cooking pot, baking pan, roasting pan, frying pan.

I was just playing and on day 2 the water shut off. Now comes the carpentry grind... 3x the walls I really need and a total waste of the axe and all my nails just to level up in order to make a dang trash bag in a box. Kinda makes you wonder why you ever took the trash bag out of the trash can....    pre made water collector... no? lol

rain collector + tarp = more effecient rain collector.  maybe use the tarp and some sturdy sticks with a rain collector. 

What about filling the bath tub with water while the water is still on? sinks as well.    

I was just playing and on day 2 the water shut off.

I see. But why are you so obsessed about collecting RAIN in the first weeks anyway?

Even if the water is shut off, all the sinks, toilets and water bottles in houses still give a limited water supply for at least a year of survival. I guess there will be some more ways to collect rain in the later updates.

Untill then you should better start cleaning up that mess you have left.

I see. But why are you so obsessed about collecting RAIN in the first weeks anyway?

Even if the water is shut off, all the sinks, toilets and water bottles in houses still give a limited water supply for at least a year of survival. I guess there will be some more ways to collect rain in the later updates.

He lost water on Day 2.

Even if all the houses can, in theory, give you a year's worth of supply, you can't always expect all houses to be accessible to you. Especially later on in the game when the hordes have peaked in population and become more dangerous to sneak around.

Seems to me, training carpentry as early as possible and getting rain barrel isn't a bad thing. It's one less thing he will have to worry about later. It's a PITA to have to leave every couple of days just to get water from another house's toilet. Especially if he's trying to establish himself in an isolated place

He lost water on Day 2.

Even if all the houses can, in theory, give you a year's worth of supply, you can't always expect all houses to be accessible to you. Especially later on in the game when the hordes have peaked in population and become more dangerous to sneak around.

Seems to me, training carpentry as early as possible and getting rain barrel isn't a bad thing. It's one less thing he will have to worry about later. It's a PITA to have to leave every couple of days just to get water from another house's toilet. Especially if he's trying to establish himself in an isolated place

1.) this conversation of using buckets has been talked about before and i would highly recommend looking at it.

2.) i have never really needed rain barrels because i either have the well, or i am in a good spot where i can accesses these things with ease. i only had to build them 1-3 times and that was on multiplayer with friends who would drink all the pots of water as soon as they where warm or slightly thirsty.

He lost water on Day 2.

1.) this conversation of using buckets has been talked about before and i would highly recommend looking at it.

2.) i have never really needed rain barrels because i either have the well, or i am in a good spot where i can accesses these things with ease. i only had to build them 1-3 times and that was on multiplayer with friends who would drink all the pots of water as soon as they where warm or slightly thirsty.

I currently have no opinion on the bucket thing. I've also read those other threads.

I was merely explaining to Benson why OP wants to level Carpentry early. Benson seems to think it's a stupid idea when there's "lots of water scattered around houses". I'm just saying there are some cases and reasons for why you may want to build barrels early.

I am held up in the McCoy Logging Co. So sinks up there are limited and running back to town for a water run is risky and a days trip.

and my character has the High Thirst trait.... 

You probably did this already, but... have you checked the bathroom stalls/cubicles? They also give water. There are quite a lot of them in two of the McCoy buildings. I've been there on my 6th playthrough before I realized you could open those stalls. (Which I learned when I heard a zombie banging inside one.)

BTW, I also always get High Thirst and live at McCoy so I understand why you made Carpentry and rain barrels a priority.

hangs head in shame.....  the dang stalls....   forgot about those toilets.   I've already hit level 4 carpentry and have 2 rain collectors. hahaha.

The high thirst trait is about the best negative trait on the list imo. I usually trade high thirst for stout or something big on the list.

Its not so much that getting level 4 carpentry is difficult, its just a huge waste of nails. Takes a couple hundred nails to hit lvl 4.

hangs head in shame.....  the dang stalls....   forgot about those toilets.   I've already hit level 4 carpentry and have 2 rain collectors. hahaha.

The high thirst trait is about the best negative trait on the list imo. I usually trade high thirst for stout or something big on the list.

Its not so much that getting level 4 carpentry is difficult, its just a huge waste of nails. Takes a couple hundred nails to hit lvl 4.

we have 2 different play strategies man. in my own opinion, high thirst is absolutely horrid.

we have 2 different play strategies man. in my own opinion, high thirst is absolutely horrid.

its really not bad at all. keep a water bottle on you or 2 for a back up in case of having to flee or going on a scavenging trip and you never even know your thirsty. ever. just keep it filled daily. i don't think you drink 1/2 a bottle a day. I'll have to keep track of it and see how much it really is but i know its not a full bottle because mine never goes empty through the day.