Good Safehouse locations

Randok

Good day sirs!

So I am very new to this game and I just started a new run. I was roaming around looting houses and trying to find a safe house. Every time I make one though, I wake up to a hoard of zombies! I guess you could say I don't know very much about safe houses.

So I was wondering where the best place for a safe house is! Please tell me where they are and if they are in WP or Muldraugh. If you could use the interactive map to take a screenshot, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you and happy Zomboiding!

P.S. any tips on how to better my defences are very welcome!  ^_^

In New Denver there's a pretty nice base, in real life it's a Japanese Internment Center. Has a tall fence all around it along with the indestructable fence that you can attack zombies through. Usually what I do is destroy the two doors at the top and replace them with log walls, then build me a stairs and a platform with a window frame so I can attach a sheet rope to get in and out. Has a nice number of trees on the inside that you can cut down for a good number of planks while at the same time making room for farms.

Location: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.11558557158576609,0.21121510078234193,237.37631379976963

Go to McCoy. Lots of supplies (and the coveted ax). Trees and forage-able surroundings. If you can put up rain barrels, McCoy is <3. Low zombie population and near enough to town for looting.

Also, something that doesn't get mentioned much, is the size (perimeter) of the building. Since McCoy bldgs are huge, it will take a huge horde of zombies to completely surround it. Place sheet ropes strategically and you can always bug out without worrying you'll land into a pile of zombies.

Edit for clarity: McCoy is in Muldraugh.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4161084291974772,0.19236916122253703,64.60140625

Go to McCoy. Lots of supplies (and the coveted ax). Trees and forage-able surroundings. If you can put up rain barrels, McCoy is <3. Low zombie population and near enough to town for looting.

Also, something that doesn't get mentioned much, is the size (perimeter) of the building. Since McCoy bldgs are huge, it will take a huge horde of zombies to completely surround it. Place sheet ropes strategically and you can always bug out without worrying you'll land into a pile of zombies.

Edit for clarity: McCoy is in Muldraugh.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4161084291974772,0.19236916122253703,64.60140625

I'm going to second this one, this is the ideal newbie Safehouse. You also have access to wood without the need for cutting down trees to start working on the coveted carpentry skill.

You also have access to wood without the need for cutting down trees to start working on the coveted carpentry skill.

Is that so?

I have never checked the logs in the area for materials, seems like random decoration only.

I have my safehouse in the North Farm. You can find have lots of Corn in the fields and have a more of less easy access to the Gas Station in the northern Trailer Park.

Is that so?

I have never checked the logs in the area for materials, seems like random decoration only.

I have my safehouse in the North Farm. You can find have lots of Corn in the fields and have a more of less easy access to the Gas Station in the northern Trailer Park.

Yes, the log sprites in the building are containers with only log spawning inside them. It's just bit weird because even if they are empty, there are huge log stacks on the floor. You'll have to walk around and check each stack. :)

Good day sirs!

So I am very new to this game and I just started a new run. I was roaming around looting houses and trying to find a safe house. Every time I make one though, I wake up to a hoard of zombies! I guess you could say I don't know very much about safe houses.

So I was wondering where the best place for a safe house is! Please tell me where they are and if they are in WP or Muldraugh. If you could use the interactive map to take a screenshot, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you and happy Zomboiding!

P.S. any tips on how to better my defences are very welcome!  ^_^

any buildings second floor. you only need to do one thing: demolish the f***i*g stairs  :lol:  :lol:

d4e61dd637d366911e205e027f4f2a3a.jpg

home-defense-map9.png

General thoughts on survival:

Sheet ropes are your friend.  Zombies can't climb sheet ropes, but you can; this is a powerful advantage.  As an earlier poster noted, if you destroy all the stairways on the ground floor you render it impossible for zombies to get to the upper stories.  Place sheet ropes at several points around a building and then sledge down the stairs and you will create a zone of absolute safety.  Again, as noted in an earlier post you don't want to be surrounded by a horde and out of supplies in the 'safety' of your second floor redoubt, so try to pick a larger building with multiple second or third story exits.

Finding food and water is good; producing them for yourself is better.  Initially you may need to scavenge to survive; as a long term strategy, though, scavenging is a bad plan because you need to be out where the zombies are to scavenge.  Water collection is easy once you can build rain barrels - but remember you'll need a way to sterilize the water; a campfire and a kettle or cooking pot will do.  Food is somewhat trickier, but there are several means provided - fishing, farming, trapping, and foraging.  Of these, Farming is most suited to the life of a survivor; you can carry bags of dirt up to a rooftop area and set up a rooftop garden.  Using the 'knock down the stairs' strategy described above, you can end up creating a zone safe from zombies with a limitless supply of food and water.  The rest of the food gathering methods usually require you to leave your safe zone in order to get the food and water you need.

Zombies are bad...flaming zombies are worse.  This, of course, depends upon the game settings.  With fire spread off, setting up campfire 'traps' for zombies is actually quite effective (if somewhat unrealistic) since the zombies will wander into them, begin to burn, and eventually die...all with little or no effort on your part.  There are several tactics you can employ to take advantage of such a situation.  With fire spread on, however...a flaming zombie can spread those flames into your safehouse, turning it into an inferno.  For that matter, with fire spread on the fire itself is quite dangerous even without zombies; setting a campfire inside a safehouse is about as smart a plan in the game as it would be for you to light a campfire in your living room in real life.  Know your settings and plan accordingly.

The Axe Is Your Gift From God:  Guns are flashy.  With a bit of skill they kill things very quickly.  Pipe bombs are glorious weapons against large hordes.  If you are trying to rack up a huge kill count, these are good things; they kill quickly and are sure to draw every zombie within hearing distance to your location.  If you are trying to survive, you want a melee weapon - and the best weapon out there, hands down, is the axe.  Quiet, lethal, and utilitarian, the axe is the survivor's weapon of choice in the apocalypse.  A single zombie is a trivial challenge with an axe, and even small groups can be managed.  If there are too many zombies to take on with your axe, then you are in a situation where you should be running away anyway.  When you're not chopping down zombies, you can chop down trees instead for your fortifications.

Zombies love to destroy the things that you make:  Zombies are attracted to player built constructions.  If they wander near one they have a tendency to stop and beat on them.  Conversely, outside of windows and doors zombies do not damage original structures.  You can use both of these facts to your advantage. As an example of taking advantage of game structures, EniracY posted a location above that shows a house surrounded by a fence with a small opening in one area.  The entire fence is essentially invulnerable to zombies, which means the only area you would need to fortify is the small opening.  (The house only has one story - a negative, in my opinion, since you can't have a second story redoubt - but that's solveable with a little construction).  On the flip side, a great example of utilizing the zombie's tendency to beat on anything YOU build is to build a 'crate pattern'.  Build a bunch of crates in offset lines so that there are winding pathways between them.  Zombies moving through this pattern will almost always stop to beat on the crates - even if they are chasing you.  In the unlikely event that they don't stop, they won't navigate the pattern as quickly as you do anyway.  You can even create a one crate high 'crate maze' entrance to your safehouse.  The zombies WILL eventually break up all the crates if you let them - but they will almost never navigate the whole maze because they will stop to beat at the crates along the way.