Ask Project Zomboid Developers TIS Anything 5!

Batsphinx

I'll just be cheeky and ask 4 in the hope one might get answered :D

1. Will we get the chance to ride a horse!???
  2. Will the forests mechanics ever change to allow it to be more easily traversed and used more as a way of sneaking past zombies
  3. Will we see more combat mechanics?  i.e space bar to foot stamp, alt+ space to stab the zombie with a knife in the second hand.
  4. Will we ever get the chance to crawl so zombies can't see us in buildings when we don't have sheets on the windows etc

My question would also have to be concerning food. As far as zombie behavior it seems to me like the +30 versions are now nicely difficult, in line with the devs stated goal of making survival times of several months an impressive feat. But right now we don't have a realistic eating/nutrition system. Are we going to see some kind of overhaul to this system in the near future?

I'd like to see something like the Unreal World system, where fullness and nutrition are differentiated. A low nutrition character will be weaker, as they are slowly starving. You can fill your stomach will berries and chips so you aren't hungry, but it won't be enough in the long term to sustain you.

The new creative mode that's been demonstrated in a number of Mondoids looks very cool - I was excited at the thought of being able to steal furniture/carpets/windows from existing buildings and add them to other buildings, but I never expected to be able to do things like build entire maps. I was wondering if you could give us an idea of how easy it will be to do things like integrate player made maps into the existing main game map - what kind of things will it be possible to do straight from creative mode, compared to what will remain the province of those who can learn how to use the existing creative tools to make maps and buildings. Will there by any kind of plug-and-play option for dummies like me to attach maps together, either to the existing map or to other player-generated maps, or will the maps by default be individual isolated map sets?

Will there be an option for people to create their own map objects through creative mode? For example, the Hydrocraft mod has been adding some nice, large objects like rabbit hutches, washing lines, showers and windmills - will there be an option to map graphics made by players onto tiles that can then be added to the creative mode library of scenery and furniture items, so that they'd act like the existing furniture or constructed items?

Will there be changes to melee combat? it seems once you knock a zombie down and just keep hitting it with any melee weapon anywhere even its foot it still counts to beating its head. Will there be any way to signify what part of the body you're hitting maybe you could hit a leg and cripple it and turn it into a crawler?

here a great question many games company never listen to feed back that doesn't seem to be the case with you guys but here my real question would you ever put in the mods that people have made to expendable the game even more once all the bugs hve been tested. 

Maybe an unpopular question:

Has TIS ever considered open sourcing the engine, either at the development stage or sometime after the games completion?  Pretty much every game made becomes a casualaty of time because of abandonment from their creators. Many times that has been because the producer has the most say on that, and they werent willing to open source it without financial incentive.  Other times the games run too much proprietary middleware, so they couldnt anyways.  Does PZ rely on much middleware?

Thanks for you time, PZ is definitely the best zombie simulator around!

2 Qs:

1. On the topic of multiplayer sleep, are we any closer to implementing it? Also would it be possible to add as a server option so you can sleep just like in SP (everyone sleeps it speeds up) as a server option for us private server runners?

2. When the military are added at FK will they be sending out patrols to kill zombies near them so trying to get in good with them would be a safe thing to do?

That bring up a third question sorry:

3. With military added it only makes sense to add more gun types, will you be pulling ORTMan's Gun mod in or making it similar? (I know a lot of people use it and hydrocraft) that way the military will have SMGs, Snipers, LMGs, and the likes?

Brings up a forth and final Q:

If I pick veteran will I have a choice to spawn inside the FK military base as a active duty soldier? Or will things like that never happen?

About vehicles:

Do you plan to add an upgrade system for vehicles? Ie. put sheets of metal on windows (either use nuts and bolts or weld them on solid) which would require diffetent tools (drill, spanner, or a welder/blow torch) and different skills to be used. How about changing a flat tyre or random breakdowns. A car mechanic profession maybe? He together with handiman (to a smaller extent) would be able to perform repairs and diagnostics similar to how health panel works.