Sleeping in multiplayer?

retsaki

How does/will the game handle sleeping in multiplayer (particularly online)?

Is it turned off?

Is the time it takes shortened or is time faster?

Do we all sleep at the same time?

I understand/assume the server will be able to choose such aspects of the meta but what will the default be?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an idea:

Your character turns into a NPC while you are gone.

Plus your other NPCs they can still survive together.

You can set a margin what should be built by them.

Lemmy said them NPCs will be smart so they should be able to withstand a Raider attack or a horde if you got enough arms and ammo.

It's optional and can be turned off.

I frankly would find it interest when you log back on you char tells what has happened meanwhile. Or you could be in a totally different place because a certain K set the house on fire. You killed him but the house was lost.

This is how it will work-

All of the survivors will go into their rooms at night and say-

'Good night John Boy', and then one will say 'Good night Elizabeth', and then one will say 'good night Jim Bob', and then one will say 'Good night Mary Ellen'

If any of them say 'gooooo nnaaaaaaa wwwaaaaaaaagBRAINNNNNNNNNNNNNS' the others have to get up and club him to death with rolling pins

This is how it will work-

All of the survivors will go into their rooms at night and say-

'Good night John Boy', and then one will say 'Good night Elizabeth', and then one will say 'good night Jim Bob', and then one will say 'Good night Mary Ellen'

If any of them say 'gooooo nnaaaaaaa wwwaaaaaaaagBRAINNNNNNNNNNNNNS' the others have to get up and club him to death with rolling pins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6zba8sTVw

id love the idea of the player becoming an npc at quit. But joining a server as the random npc would also be nice. This would generate a problem with multiple life - reconnecting players. Multiplayer shows off a lot of questions.

The sleeping issue could have different options to choose from when starting a server. One of them could be no sleep mode, another one - TIME-TO-SLEEP mode. All of the players wake up, play and get tired at the same rate, different each time. Simply speaking, you wake up, the server randomly sets the time of the turn from 8 to i.e. 16 hours. You and other players get tired in the same rate. In the end of the turn all very tired players get a message saying: you will pass out in 10 (realtime) minutes. So you have 10 mins to find a bed and lie down or you will pass out anywhere (and got eaten probably).

This would make you play daytime and during night, because the turns would have random lengths. This would also eliminate night time assassinations, annoying stealing when someone sleeps etc.

up up up up! Lets try to find the sleeping problem solutions! There could be many modes!

I had previously suggested that the sleep could be a planning phase during the actual sleep time.

You would use a map for writting notes regarding already looted houses, paths and perhaps issuing commands to fellow npc's on what they should loot or other stuff.

If its a survival game then sleeping is all part of survival. You barricade yourself in the bedroom (move furniture in front of the door) and go to sleep (will need the ability to wake your character up). If your in a group then you all take it in turns watching over the base.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont see how this can be done. if sleep is made into a planning phase or something, and 1 game day is 1hr real time, then u basically have to sit theere for 20 mins every hour. that would be very annoying. also if everyone is forced to the same sleep schedule, then you pretty much cant go out at night, and also who just passes out if they dont sleep for only 1 day? the world record is 264.4 hours or approx. 11 days. and that supposedly has been broken a few times.

**one thing i was thinking is that if the online only supported up to something like 4 players in one game, you could start those people in the same area, then they would all be working together from the start and could all choose to sleep on the same schedule, or have the others wait back at base and do something (like fortify or clear zombies from the area) while whoever is out on a night run for supplies etc.

Edited by Waib

There were some very excellent suggestions on the old forum about this. Can't remember them atm due to alcohol tearing through my brain and eliminating cells at the moment.

I suggested an option myself but can't remember. Perhaps a synchronized server sleep setting, set at a certain point. If you miss it, you'll have to make do with getting tired throughout the day until the next sleep point.

Time is a fairly huge hurdle in multiplayer to begin with. You can't fast-forward because time would be progressing faster for you, but not for anyone else, and as such sleeping becomes an issue because it does exactly that. The same issue arose with attempted multiplayer mods for previous Elder Scrolls incarnations: one person would be mucking about in a dungeon or whatnot, while the second person slept (or waited,) and the result was both players being in the same place together yet one saw moons and stars while the other was in the glaring daylight. Some quests were time-sensitive as well, and would break because of this.

Personally, I'd say that once you've become tired enough and decide to sleep, you are logged out until AT LEAST the time it takes to rest. I could deal with that. Probably not an entirely popular idea.

Time is a fairly huge hurdle in multiplayer to begin with. You can't fast-forward because time would be progressing faster for you, but not for anyone else, and as such sleeping becomes an issue because it does exactly that. The same issue arose with attempted multiplayer mods for previous Elder Scrolls incarnations: one person would be mucking about in a dungeon or whatnot, while the second person slept (or waited,) and the result was both players being in the same place together yet one saw moons and stars while the other was in the glaring daylight. Some quests were time-sensitive as well, and would break because of this.

Personally, I'd say that once you've become tired enough and decide to sleep, you are logged out until AT LEAST the time it takes to rest. I could deal with that. Probably not an entirely popular idea.

I think really the best solution would be having a range of options to choose from depending on the server. A "hardcore" option where you either have to log out or simply just sit there and wait to sleep, an 'easy' option that disables sleep entirely, and maybe something in the middle.

The issue is that the difference between playing with 4 people cooperatively and playing with 64 people competitively is massive, and one blanket solution will never sufficiently cover it.

the reason i suggested smaller games is because in a game like Project Zomboid there is a huge potential for abuse in online.

a game where you only live one life? sounds like a trolls paradise. i see random killing and base fucking-up happening quite often in a 64 player game.

if anyone has played DayZ its pretty easy to fuck up other peoples games for no reason.

That's why you have server admins and rules. At the end of the day, it's best to leave it open so people can play however they want to. A server capable of hosting 64 people would be just as capable of hosting a small game. I certainly can't comment for sure about how big or small servers will be (because I'm sure not even the devs know at this point), but from what they said it sounded like they did want it open for larger groups.

• 3 months later...

sleeping would give a reason for having a secured base, rather then being a marauder. Honestly, I would say they should do it like Rust. The admins could choose to have player characters fall asleep after they log out or the characters would go invisible after they log out. If you play minecraft multiplayer, most of the time not everyone will agree to fall asleep, so you end up doing things in the middle of the night within your base. Why should realism be taken away just to make the game easier?

Devs have stated that sleep will likely be handled when you log out. On the other hand, you will probably be able to "nap" in game, taking about the same time it takes in singleplayer (when it's fastforwarding time) without the time fastforwarding.

Unfortunately at some point realism does have to be taken down a notch for the sake of fun gameplay if there is something demonstrably added for it.