Updated to 32.22 and 'Connection Failed'

CaptKaspar

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ok, so I have always run the .bat server file to host a server between a few friends and I. We have plans to play later this evening and I thought I should test the server to make sure everything runs smoothly after the update. Good thing I did! I get the dreaded 'Connection Failed' message.

Upon launching PZ 32.22 I clicked on the 'Online' tab and my server list was empty. So I verified my local IP using my network map and entered that. I also verified that the IP did not change and that my MP character saves were under the same IP. Nothing had changed. I also logged into my router and verified that ports 16261-16270 are open.

No luck. Still getting 'Connection Failed'.

It is possible that I might have forgotten my log in info for the server and I am using the wrong username and PW combo. Is there a file anywhere that would tell me the list of usernames? I have never set up a whitelist since it was just friends and I playing Co-Op. I did open the Username/Zomboid/db/servertest file to verify there were no names automatically put in there and it was indeed empty.

Out of curiosity I tried to start a new username and PW and connect and I still get the 'Connection Failed' message.

Arghhh! I'm out of ideas and I hope to not waste playtime figuring out this odd issue. Again thanks in advance on any insight and help!

EDIT: I get the terminal message:

"Failed to retrieve server information by its IP"

FAILED

I re-verified that my network map IP is the same as the server IP that I entered. Ports 16261-16270 are open.

UPDATE: I tried rebooting the PC as well as the router. No luck.

The server name doesn't matter now does it? I forgot what I originally had it as.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ok, so I have always run the .bat server file to host a server between a few friends and I. We have plans to play later this evening and I thought I should test the server to make sure everything runs smoothly after the update. Good thing I did! I get the dreaded 'Connection Failed' message.

Upon launching PZ 32.22 I clicked on the 'Online' tab and my server list was empty. So I verified my local IP using my network map and entered that. I also verified that the IP did not change and that my MP character saves were under the same IP. Nothing had changed. I also logged into my router and verified that ports 16261-16270 are open.

No luck. Still getting 'Connection Failed'.

It is possible that I might have forgotten my log in info for the server and I am using the wrong username and PW combo. Is there a file anywhere that would tell me the list of usernames? I have never set up a whitelist since it was just friends and I playing Co-Op. I did open the Username/Zomboid/db/servertest file to verify there were no names automatically put in there and it was indeed empty.

Out of curiosity I tried to start a new username and PW and connect and I still get the 'Connection Failed' message.

Arghhh! I'm out of ideas and I hope to not waste playtime figuring out this odd issue. Again thanks in advance on any insight and help!

EDIT: I get the terminal message:

"Failed to retrieve server information by its IP"

FAILED

I re-verified that my network map IP is the same as the server IP that I entered. Ports 16261-16270 are open.

Alright so there are 2 versions of the server files that now exist. 

1.  The first setup runs through steam authenticaton servers and yadda yadda.  This new version of the server is found using the STEAMCMD program and following instructions on this post.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/16025-released-iwbums-3220/

2.  Is a server that is not ran through steam.  These servers to my understanding are the ones being ran by simply using the startserver bat file inside the project zomboid game folder.  If you are using 32.22 There is a parameter you can set or use that doesnt not integrate the game through steam allowing you to join these types of servers. 

Otherwise set up a server using the 1st option and the server is steam secured and you will be good to go.

Ok thanks! I will give this a go. I didn't realize that 'Steam' version tag and the compatibility issues. I'll let you know in a few mins if this works. I am going to try using the SteamCMD.

Will members joining and not hosting have to do anything different?

Ok still no dice.

I updated the server using the SteamCMD and it said it was successful.

I am stuck on the two additional ports required I think. I do not know where to adjust this setting so I went to the same servertest file that has the default port setting in it. There were no options for Steamport 1 or 2. So I entered them and used 2 ports that I had available for extra PZ players.

No luck. I am guessing my ports are wrong for Steam?

still no luck. I specified the SteamPort1= 16259 and SteamPort2= 16260 and I verified those ports are open.

when I launch the server there is a line that says:

SteamUtils started without Steam

Could that have anything to do with it? How do I verify the server is updated correctly?

so you ran the steamcmd program installed the fresh server through that into a fresh folder.

You then edited your .ini added those steam ports you verified all the ports were open. 

You now run either startserver64.exe or startserver32.exe in the folder the steamcmd installed to.

OK, I was opening the wrong folder and launching the original server.bat DOH!

I have launched the the startserver64.exe and it says that the server is started. It is started with the ports 16259 and 16260 open so I know the settings change works.Settings are also Public=true and Open=false

Still no dice. Connection failed.

It looks like your server's PublicName is empty, it must be non-empty or the Steam master server won't see it.

I changed the PublicName and I get a message that says 'account does not exist'.

I went into the servertest.ini file and set AutoCreateUserInWhiteList=true

I read that you need to add Steam IDs to the whitelist? How do I do that?

Since you have Open=false, everyone must be added to the whitelist.

You can do this in 2 different ways:

1. From the server console, type adduser "Bob" "password" for each user.
  2. Join the server from the client using username=admin password=<password> that you used when first starting the server.  Then in the chat window, type /adduser "Bob" "password" for each user.

Since you have Open=false, everyone must be added to the whitelist.

You can do this in 2 different ways:

1. From the server console, type adduser "Bob" "password" for each user.
  2. Join the server from the client using username=admin password=<password> that you used when first starting the server.  Then in the chat window, type /adduser "Bob" "password" for each user.

Ok I successfully added two user accounts to the white list! Thank you for explaining that process. I was reading a previous thread and was trying to update the whitelist using SQLite and I felt in over my head.

I was able to successfully join my server. However, my friend was not. He received the 'Connection Failed' message. We verified my external IP address and that the ports were all open.

Any guesses?

Does your server show up in the Steam server browser?  Press "Change Filters" and change Game to "Project Zomboid" to only show pz servers.

Also, do you see anything in your server console when your friend tries to connect?

No it does not show up in the server browser.

No there is no server console activity.

When he tried to connect to my server through Steam (by clicking on join game), he gets a 'server is not responding' message.

I am able to currently log into the server.

These are my current server settings:

http://i.imgur.com/etNmVMH.jpg