Server option to remove Steam Names in playerlist.

ModdedTibby

So this post mostly concerns the RP playerbase that is in project zomboid. Which from my experience is actually quite large.  Our server has TONS of people supporting it but anyways my rant starts below.

With the new steam updates and PZ the options for remaining anonymous and immersive in RP servers is tainted with the ability to see who plays what character.  Of course it can be fixed with removing the steam integration, but then you sacrifice the power of VAC bans and things of that nature which steam brings to the table.  Not a fair trade off really.  Loose immersion or loose protection and tons of features.

So a solution would simply be if its possible to add an option to server side that turns on or off clients from seeing the steam names of the players on the server.

Yup! I really agree with this! I don't like the fact that everyone can see my Steam name, and I know others dislike it too. Especially when you're playing an event character and want to keep the immersion, but people can just look at the playerlist and know "Oh man! So that character is /this/ person!" and may treat you differently. This goes for playing a normal character too. It would just make things so much better if we could turn off the ability to see Steam names.

Except you'll still have people show up in your Recently Played With thing, making removal of this pointless?

Just a guess.

Pointless? You can't be serious. 

The ability to not see who's account is what on it's own makes this worthwhile. Even if you can see who is playing, you won't know which character they are.

On top of that, you'd have to be very naive to give enough of a damn to check your recent players to try and decipher who is who.

It's almost an oversight to not have this as an option because it matters especially in RP servers.

This also works in games like Town of Salem, you can see who is playing in your server but you don't know which character they are. It seems almost silly that it would be pointless because knowing that there is a chance that a certain person might be another certain person is somehow the same as knowing who everyone is.

Except you'll still have people show up in your Recently Played With thing, making removal of this pointless?

Just a guess.

not at all. 

not to mention the harassment you can get on public servers from this feature.   You get killed by a player and you can see their steam name, prepare for incoming messages, friend requests or whatever.

Just a guess.

not at all. 

not to mention the harassment you can get on public servers from this feature.   You get killed by a player and you can see their steam name, prepare for incoming messages, friend requests or whatever.

That point as well is also a good one, it is annoying as heck when people personally attack you after you kill them in MP games with steam integration.

The RP aspect alone in not knowing exactly who everyone you come across is, by far makes this worth it. It makes the 'games' people set up in RP/event servers a lot more interesting especially if you are doing something that could use it.

Either way this option is useful for servers in general when you don't want everyone's identity to be revealed directly.

I guess I am in the minority on this, but when I play, I don't see their names unless I am already Steam friends with them. Those who are not my friends show up without their name. Is this not the case for the rest of you? And if it is the same, wouldn't people you have added as friends already know who you are playing as? 

But,  either way, having the option to turn it off/on seems well worth it, while still allowing admin characters to have the users visible.

I fully agree. As a member of a PZ RP community, I know that anonymity is important. It keeps certain kinds of metagaming out of the way, and it gives people the opportunity to not be personally linked with their character to other people. 

Admins seeing the steam names is clearly a bonus, but it needs to be possible to turn it off for the player base.

Just a guess.

The ability to not see who's account is what on it's own makes this worthwhile. Even if you can see who is playing, you won't know which character they are.

On top of that, you'd have to be very naive to give enough of a damn to check your recent players to try and decipher who is who.

It's almost an oversight to not have this as an option because it matters especially in RP servers.

This also works in games like Town of Salem, you can see who is playing in your server but you don't know which character they are. It seems almost silly that it would be pointless because knowing that there is a chance that a certain person might be another certain person is somehow the same as knowing who everyone is.

You really need to stop having such strong reactions to what I write. You'll notice none of my post indicates an absolute statement (again), nor tells you this shouldn't be done. It does, however, point out one way that you'll still be vulnerable to the things that worry you, whether your Steam username is in the game list, or not.

Just a guess.

You really need to stop having such strong reactions to what I write. You'll notice none of my post indicates an absolute statement (again), nor tells you this shouldn't be done. It does, however, point out one way that you'll still be vulnerable to the things that worry you, whether your Steam username is in the game list, or not.

A strong reaction? I thought it was a regular "rebuttal".

I'm sorry if it came off as a "reaction", if you are going to say that somebody's idea is pointless and it's an idea that I personally support, I will debate your point accordingly. Don't take it personally either, I gave "snickers" Adam the same treatment when he said he would stop playing the game if my ideas got implemented in another thread. 

This option would be really useful, not being able to identify who's character is who can be really useful. People would associate less on reputation and more on what they see in front of them. It's the same reason why they use the same thing in Town of Salem.

If you want me to talk about my "strong reactions" I will gladly take it to PMs. My posts aren't as mean spirited as some may think.

Just a guess.

You need to stop doing the same thing as well.   Ive been watching the forums and i see passive aggressive posts written from you to many people who stand up for a point that you may not be on board with.

We know you are helpful, but please dont let helpful turn into what comes across as arrogance to others.

Just a guess.

You need to stop doing the same thing as well.   Ive been watching the forums and i see passive aggressive posts written from you to many people who stand up for a point that you may not be on board with.

We know you are helpful, but dont let helpful turn into what comes across as arrogance to others.

Yes, apparently my attempts to soften my position, consider their own, and provide some information has been mistaken for sarcasm lately. It was never intended as such.