Best Practice for compatability and structure

saftsuze

I started looking into modding last night, and I am not looking back again. I have two clear ideas for two mods that are simple enough for me to do by myself. They involve new recipes and new items and how to repair the items that can be used as weapons.

What I wonder now, is:

1. Should, items, recipes and fixing all go into the same .txt file? Or should I split them up? I see other mods have several files for this. Are there more advanced reasons for this or simple reasons?
  2. And are there anything I should think about when it comes to making sure to keep the mods as compatible as possible?

I will post my mods in the WIP-section as soon as they have become a bit more substatial.

1. For convenience, you can divide recipe and item scripts into two text files or put them both in the same, it doesn't really matter. Some larger mods can have multiple text files, the game will load them all.

2. There's really no way to know for sure, it just depends what changes, but compatibility issues are going to be much more likely if you're actually overwriting base game files (that is, having luas within your mod structure that have the exact same name as base game luas in the corresponding base game folders). Dealing with just scripts, compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you! I guess I will keep three separate files for items, recipes and fixing then, so I can work on all aspects of each item beside each other.

Another question has appeared, though, and I will adopt you as my newbro mentor, since you were the one who convinced me I could do it... :D

How can I make a recipe require a certain skill level?

No problem, happy to help.

To require a skill you use:

SkillRequired:Skill=Number, so for example SkillRequired:Electricity=2,

Here is a very useful thread that has many of the variables, I think it also lists the game names for skills since they aren't always identical (Carpentry is Woodwork for example): http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/15188-item-and-recipe-script-variables-brief-description/