Couple of simple suggestions...

wombatvvv

1. More crawlers. Crawlers are cool and very "zombie atmosphere". Most importantly, have more that you think you have killed (maybe with the brain splat effect) but are actually crawlers. Very zombie-movie suspense type stuff. Also have some that just look like dead bodies when they are first spawned (and some that actually are dead bodies). Maybe they are dead bodies. Maybe they're really crawlers. You don't know until you get close. This stuff is straight out of a zombie movie. This would make it harder.

2. Better items on dead zombies. Assuming some of these people are survivors that have been zombified. If they have a bag, maybe there's something realistic in there? Some canned food, a loaded pistol whatever, not just an empty bag. That will make it easier. Evens it up. Who walks around with just lipstick during the zombie apocalypse? :) This would make it easier.

3. Everyone should have a little bit of the "hypochondriac" trait. Encourage players to keep going instead of just starting over the instant the infected-symptoms show up. It's realistic too. You would be worried if you just got bitten or scratched. Just if you have the actual trait you're even more likely (or even 100% likely) every time you get scratched or bitten. This would make it harder.

4. If you disinfect a bite or scratch really quickly after it happens, there should be a less chance of zombification (not 100% less chance, but a chance). The virus (or whatever) is killed off before it enters the blood stream. This would make it easier.

So, 2 things make it easier, 2 things make it harder. Should balance out.

Number 2... I've seen some zombies with backpacks with magazines, underwear, and pills...

So I guess that's already in the game? Also, I've been seeing zombies with more and more weapons... I've looted zombies with rolling pins, pistols & ammo...

While I support the Devs' decision to make zombie bites hyper-lethal, I do like the idea of there being an increased chance of surviving a bite if you immediately treat it. Personally, I would happy with that kind of preparedness rewarding you with no more than a 2 - 5% extra chance of survival - I like how ungodly lethal a successful zombie can be, but I do also love the idea of having a bit more reason to just sit down on my character and pray to the Zomboid Gods that I somehow pull through... Even if I don't, the tension generated would be well worth it.

Well, they ARE going to implement a way to not get zombified after getting bit/scratched by a zed...

"AMPUTATION" O__O

Also, since amputation's being considered(?), I'd love to see a survivor without all of his arms and legs... just a torso and head... you can put him in a sand bag and carry him around on your back XD

Regarding the dead zombies having better and more realistic items, yes, pretty much as soon as I made that post I started noticing occasionally some of them had some better things. However, its just not as frequent as it should be.

It would be really cool if it was sort of figured out behind the scenes what the zombie "was" is real life. So a child zombie might be carrying a  backpack with sandwiches and a doll. A construction worker could have tools and a hardhat. A police could have a pistol and batten, etc. Of course the vast majority would be office workers or whatever that just have a pen or wallet or whatever. But sometimes you could hit the jackpot. 

And then later in the game, there should be more obvious ex survivors. Carrying spiked bats and tinned food and stuff like that.

I do agree on the 2nd one it would be cool to see that, i always think that when i loot a dead zombie with a axe or a gun he was some guy survivng for a while and died.

However, the first one, oh hell no, i fucking hate crawlers with a passion, they sometimes are faster than a normal zombie, they come at you at full speed to fuck your anckles up, and good luck trying to time the melee or a gun to kill the motherfucker, you need to be right next to a moving crawler so you can hit him.

1. More crawlers. Crawlers are cool and very "zombie atmosphere". Most importantly, have more that you think you have killed (maybe with the brain splat effect) but are actually crawlers. Very zombie-movie suspense type stuff. Also have some that just look like dead bodies when they are first spawned (and some that actually are dead bodies). Maybe they are dead bodies. Maybe they're really crawlers. You don't know until you get close. This stuff is straight out of a zombie movie. This would make it harder.

While crawlers do add tension, they're a bit OP atm. They scratch or bite you as soon as they've lunged forward. I think the devs nerfed them a bit so you'd actually have time to react. I'd rather see as many crawler as there are right now, but make them a bit more manageable. I lost 2 characters just because fallen zombies turned into crawlers and instant-bit me.

2. Better items on dead zombies. Assuming some of these people are survivors that have been zombified. If they have a bag, maybe there's something realistic in there? Some canned food, a loaded pistol whatever, not just an empty bag. That will make it easier. Evens it up. Who walks around with just lipstick during the zombie apocalypse? :) This would make it easier.

I don't know if this has been implemented yet but anyway that's a good idea. I'd follow wombatvvv's suggestion of having more "zombie survivors" as time passes by. Zombies with a set of tools or items matching an occupation could add some flavour too, but shouldn't be too prevalent in order to keep the game balanced.

3. Everyone should have a little bit of the "hypochondriac" trait. Encourage players to keep going instead of just starting over the instant the infected-symptoms show up. It's realistic too. You would be worried if you just got bitten or scratched. Just if you have the actual trait you're even more likely (or even 100% likely) every time you get scratched or bitten. This would make it harder.

A good way of achieving this would be to add stress as soon as your character's been scratched or bitten. Right now, I think it only happens when you're actually infected and that's a big hint towards knowing whether you'll zombify or not. IMO only the fever, happening a few days later, should be a confirmation sign - leaving some questioning in the first few hours.

4. If you disinfect a bite or scratch really quickly after it happens, there should be a less chance of zombification (not 100% less chance, but a chance). The virus (or whatever) is killed off before it enters the blood stream. This would make it easier.

Since there's no cure, and the actual zombification mecanism is unknown, I wouldn't add this. The zombification risk is about 25% with scratches and 95% with bites. I like to say that if you want to avoid it - then play safe. Your chance not to be infected is already there because it's not a 100% probability.