What is your % of body fat?

ziomekMonty

Hello

Since am a big diet enthusiast been thinking that instead seeing icon like ''bit hungry'' or ''slight hunger'' etc we could see the whole aspect of food as a total amount of calories character need to stay fit and alive so if it is me in the time of end of the world or zombie apocalipse then If i had a choice of eating cabbage or peanut butter I will defo go for p butter cus i know I need calories right?.... a lot of calories when i walk run fight with zombies and loot houses.... sure cabbage would give me volume and my stomach wouldnt feel empty (p butter give small amount of volume but a lot of calories) but in cabbage apart from vitamins there is no calories we need right? so perhaps little clock that would show us amount of calories we have eaten and how much we burn would be a good idea? it would be for all of us completely new approach to food and sure if there is no multivitamin tablet around yes I would grow carrots and tomatoes but for energy i would rather grew potatoes LOL very good return of energy... of how much energy we have put to plant them and how much energy we can take from them after eating them plus it is very easy to storage potatoes right? 

So for example in the game the long dark they gave us calories and how character burn them and i think this is a cool idea....

Another thing is.... well we all get fat some point of our life we will eat more then we need and we will build % of a body fat right? well this is actually very cool thing in the time of zombie apocalipse cus fat in our body is nothing else than food for a body that is always witch us when we need it and it doesnt go off LOL

So what about introducing in the game % of body fat? would be cool to eat more than we need to build some body fat for a hard time in the future.... I would ram in everything I could find at least would be fresh still fresh and after that i would live each day some hours  of my body fat etc

thanks for reading it

Overcomplicated.

And who cares about fat % when you have neighborZ knocking at your front door?

Calories burning mechanics is sttill good as long as its hidden from player.

I mean imagine a typical day at PZ:

Go to warehouse across the town. Meet a Z horde and run around them panicing like crazy for some time. Jump over a few fences and finish off a dozen Z with your bat. Get to warehouse and find new shiny and very heavy generator. Carry it back to safehouse half way and drop it because of the same Z horde. Find out that you are bleeding at bondage yyourself. Go to bed.

The question is how many calories did you burn ?

Nah... at the end you just either feel hunger or not.

Look i know where you are coming from and i agree with you, right now the hunger issue in the game is unbalanced, a lolipop shouldn't take away the first hunger moodle, but lets no go to the extremes and put calories right into the game.

We just need a system that tell us we are not eating well or not enough, like if i eat a lolipop, it shouldn't take my Peckish moodle away, it shouldnt give me anything at all other than happiness.

Eating 1/4 of potato chips shouldn't take away that either, have you ever tried to eat just 1/4 of any potato chips (the normal size small ones)? Its just like 5 chips or something.

We need a system that checks that your belly is full, but we also need a simple system that keeps check of your diet, have you eaten some sort of meat, vegetables, fruit, beans, whatever?

I am not talking about calories here, just a some sort of diet to keep up.

If you dont eat well (imagine eating 1/4 of cheese every morning), in the long run, you are going to end up weak and unhealthy, without strength and slowly starving even if your belly is full.

Now imagine just eating potato chips and pop for almost a month, not having a good diet should be consequence that really fucks you up in the mid-long run, we have so many shit to cook now and most people dont even bother with it, most people just eat 1/4 of anything they can just to keep hunger away.

Look i know where you are coming from and i agree with you, right now the hunger issue in the game is unbalanced, a lolipop shouldn't take away the first hunger moodle, but lets no go to the extremes and put calories right into the game.

We just need a system that tell us we are not eating well or not enough, like if i eat a lolipop, it shouldn't take my Peckish moodle away, it shouldnt give me anything at all other than happiness.

Eating 1/4 of potato chips shouldn't take away that either, have you ever tried to eat just 1/4 of any potato chips (the normal size small ones)? Its just like 5 chips or something.

We need a system that checks that your belly is full, but we also need a simple system that keeps check of your diet, have you eaten some sort of meat, vegetables, fruit, beans, whatever?

If you dont eat well (imagine eating 1/4 of cheese every morning), in the long run, you are going to end up weak and unhealthy, without strength and slowly starving even if your belly is full.

Now imagine just eating potato chips and pop for almost a month, not having a good diet should be consequence that really fucks you up in the mid-long run, we have so many shit to cook now and most people dont even bother with it, most people just eat 1/4 of anything they can just to keep hunger away.

a food system would be really cool to see along with much more food.

Having to balance your diet might just be too much of a pain in the arse? Possibly alot of coding for an annoying feature?

I do however like the idea of more energy management. I don't really know how it currently works in game?

It would be cool if food was linked to energy. And there was a separate energy moodle. I would also like to be able to go into the health panel and view my energy level. When you stop and think you can quite accurately judge your own energy level.

Being able to rest on chairs when you don't have a negative moodle would be nice to :)

I'm in agreement that the food system could use a re-imagining.

Maybe a point system and an overall healthy/unhealthy diet (with perks or debuffs based on what end of the spectrum you fall?) Eat nothing but chips and orange soda, and it's - points, - points, - points until you're a vitamin deficient wreck, but get some meat and vegetables in and it's + points until you're running on 12 cylinders, able to carry, and run and climb and wreck someone's day with the best of 'em. 

I'm in agreement that the food system could use a re-imagining.

Maybe a point system and an overall healthy/unhealthy diet (with perks or debuffs based on what end of the spectrum you fall?) Eat nothing but chips and orange soda, and it's - points, - points, - points until you're a vitamin deficient wreck, but get some meat and vegetables in and it's + points until you're running on 12 cylinders, able to carry, and run and climb and wreck someone's day with the best of 'em. 

I eat meat and vegetables almost daily and i cant wreck my negibour man, eating them should give you some kind of buff, but having a healthy diet should be something you want to avoid the bad one.

I like that kind of fluff detail. It adds to the atmosphere of a game.

I do not think it needs to be so detailed that the actual calorie expenditure and content of foods are all worked out behind the scenes. But some basic body composition changes would be good. Over eat and you get bigger ... like the overweight or obese traits ... under eat and you lose them.

This could be very easily balanced. Overweight characters get stronger easier but also more conspicuous, less fit, clumsy, etc. and underweight characters get quieter and more nimble more easily but also weaker. Realistic and balanced and gives the player another option to "play the game in their own style". Like the difference between Glen and Abraham in the Walking Dead. 

P.S. on the same topic, players should get stronger from lifting heavy things a lot ... heavy carpentry work or getting around with heavy hiking bags and should get fitter from running around a lot. Just in exactly the same way they get more nimble and quiet from sneaking a lot.

AFAIK diet quality is a strong suggestion and might be implemented, as well as sleep quality. Being affected by positive or negative buffs would be a good way to make it work. But going as far as describing the calories input & output seems too detailed to me.

Then about strength, there already is a passive perk increasing as you do stuff - don't know what, unfortunately. It goes along with fitness, so lifting things and working as a carpenter probably already have an impact on your strength.

Tell you all what lets not reinvent a wheel I think that some ideas can be taken straight from best games ever made like fallout 1 and 2 there was a brilliant way of managing our character plus karma negatives was always affecting us somehow so perk system was good but this calories idea is straight from game the long dark and it does work just saying it is a cool thing

Tell you all what lets not reinvent a wheel I think that some ideas can be taken straight from best games ever made like fallout 1 and 2 there was a brilliant way of managing our character plus karma negatives was always affecting us somehow so perk system was good but this calories idea is straight from game the long dark and it does work just saying it is a cool thing

Lets follow Unreal World RPG then, there is a hunger system and a nutrition system, both just tell you if you are full but how much nutrition you have right now.

I want this. Great idea!

It does work perfectly in the survival game I mentioned am sure would work here too

I have played The Long Dark (good game btw) and I know the system you are talking about. The cool thing about this system is that the amount of calories you burn is variable. Sitting around the house and doing nothing doesn't burn as many calories as trekking across a frozen mountain while fighting off wolves. I don't think this is factored into PZ. I think hunger is just a basic timer. Anyone know differently?

What I don't like about it in TLD is that its a numerical value. You have X calories remaining until you die. This can of beans will replenish X amount of calories. Sure that's realistic that you know how many calories beans will add, but its not realistic that I know how many calories I have left before I die. I like PZ's moodles in this regard.

This is sort of what is in PZ already. However, the hunger moodles seem oddly tied to it. As BlastedTaco mentioned, eating a lollipop or a 1/4 bag of chips will never make your hunger go away. If anything I bet it would make it worse!

urwss_paddling.png

"Eating isn't just about filling your stomach. In order to keep yourself properly fed you shouldn't rely only on hunger cues as your character's feeling of hunger is based not only on stomach content, but also on your body's energy reserves. It's possible to satiate hunger by filling one's stomach with even the poorest food but that doesn't mean your diet contains sufficient amounts of energy or meets your character's nutritional requirements. Even though equal amounts of nearly any food will fill your stomach equally, different kinds of food will give you different levels of nourishment. Nutritional value of the food eaten affects your energy intake and the body's energy reserves. These factors determine how long you will feel satiated and have enough energy in your system."

This is the kind of system i can imagine in PZ, nothing like The Long Dark (great game), where you need to keep in check of all the numeric calories values and you treat it as a resource.

I just want to imagine that you can eat a full bag of chips to fill your belly in PZ (not 1/4, no one will feel not peckish after eating about 5 chips) but still haven't had anything of nutriment, where do you get nutriments?

-Fishing

-Trapping

-Canned food! (this is where that tasty canned beef+canned soup comes into play)

-Farming

-VITAMINS

Now think about what can nutriment do? It should be tied directly to Strength and Fitness (aka Endurance or stamina), you start up after or a few days after the infection spread like [insert something that spreads here], you are healthy and have eaten well in the old pre-apocalypse world right?

Then you start eating 1/4 of processed cheese,apples and cabbages out of the blue, do you really think that would help? Eating 1 full apple i can understand but eating 1/4 of it, do you really think it will keep you going to go and cut down trees and run all downtown? 

The first week should be about scavenging and cooking, why cooking? Because you want to be in top shape when shit hits the fan and fridges stop working, then the next coming weeks is about preserving food but also preserving your health. 

I am not saying that eathing a chocolate or potato chips as breakfast is going to be like "OH YOU EAT TRASH FOOD ONCE? YOU ARE FUCKING STARVING NOW MOTHERFUCKER", it should be something that takes weeks, but eating 1/4 of it? It should not last you long and you will need to re-eat more to get your belly full, atleast having for breakfast a chocolate+some milk (chocolate fills your belly somehow, cant imagine how big they are, and milk gives you nutrition).

All this system should come with buffs and debuffs, for example like i said, it should be tied to stamina and strenght, keeping in good shape= give you a long lasting small bonus on strength and stamina (i mean maybe a full day because you had a great breakfast, that means using more food to get more out of it).

However not eating enough could make you pass out (low sugar levels, feeling kinda sick, ect) but having a bad nutrition should give you a debuff that presents itself after a week or so and makes you weak and get tired more quickly, feeling sick or nausea.

But also eating more than you need to (like we all do when you broke a hand and you keep eating like CRAZY to regain health), should be punished, i mean your stomach is noting going to be able to hold 2 full sized watermelons, you would be slow and feel like shit, not be able to walk at all.

I swear if i knew how to code and knew how to mod moodles, i would give it a shot at this, i have friends at a nutrition college that could help me think all of this and balance it/simplify it enough for a game like PZ without having to count calories.

Lets follow Unreal World RPG then, there is a hunger system and a nutrition system, both just tell you if you are full but how much nutrition you have right now.

UnRealWorld uses a system under the hood that tracks carbs fat and protein in your avatar and in every edible item. It's simple realistic and powerful, without getting into calories. 

Are calories really that important?? I eat pretty much whatever I want whenever I want and I'm 28yo @ 5'10" @ 170 pounds, lean and healthy (looking on the outside) with my BMI heart rate and blood pressure near ideal levels while being a very heavy drinker and smoker for at least 12 years. I only rarely eat vegetables, maybe I'll have a tiny portion in 1 of 10 meals. I don't eat much though, 1 or 2 meals a day on average and never breakfast. Usually burgers or chinese food or pizza. And my work is very physically demanding with an average work day consisting of 9 hours of hard labor, manual lifting and roughly 16000 steps.