NPCs/Vehicles

EmperorNarwhal

Hi guys I joined this forum today so please excuse my very little knowledge of the forums, but I am here to suggest my thoughts about the upcoming NPCs and vehicles.

NPCs and vehicles combined:

NPCs should be able to get in cars with you and if the vehicle is full they can get in a second car that is functional and follow you in their car.

If you are driving through a big horde if the NPCs are armed with guns they should be able to

smash/open the window and shoot out at the zombies.

Also if there are NPCs that are bandits they should be able to shoot at you through the windows.

NPCs:

There should be traits that involve social behaviour with NPCs.

Socially Awkward: Easily stay on the negative side of survivors.

Socially Brave: Easily stay on the positive side of survivors.

Suspicious: Survivors may have a chance of warning you and then attacking you if you threaten them.

Trustworthy: Survivors may have a chance of joining you or trading with you.

Persuasive: Even higher chance to convince survivors to trade/join you.

Implausible: Even lower chance to convince survivors to trade/join you.

Good Conversationist: Alot of good things to say.

Bad Conversationist: Alot of bad things to say.

NPCs should also be designated into three types: Heroes/Survivors/Bandits

Heroes will trade with you even if you are a bad conversationist, heroes will also attack bandits on sight, if you were to murder heroes you would become a bandit and it would be even harder to recruit survivors and heroes will attack you as you would be designated as a bandit

Survivors will be neutral with the player if you provoke them or threaten them they will attack if you speak nicely to them or trade with them they might join you if you kill a survivor you become a bandit.

Bandits will attempt to kill you on sight no matter who you are, there can be bandit factions so the bandits can team with other bandits but bandit factions will attack ANY NPC type of faction, if you kill a bandit you will become a hero but if you have killed survivors/heroes in the past you will be a permanent bandit and therefore will be attacked on sight by both of the other types of factions.

NPC types should have their colours for their factions

Green=Hero

Yellow=Survivor

Red=Bandit

The colour code should also apply to the NPCs you come across in the game.

The hero factions will be displayed as green on the factions menu and it will display how many heroes there are in it, Hero factions will only attack hostile factions e.g Bandit factions.

The survivor factions will be displayed as yellow on the factions menu and will display how many survivors are in that faction. Survivor factions can attack both heroes and bandits, if they attack heroes their faction name colour changes to red, if they target bandits their faction name colour changes to green they are designated as a hero faction.

The bandit factions will be displayed as yellow on the factions menu and will display how many bandits are in that faction. Bandit factions will attack both factions mainly heroes as heroes are the main people who attack bandits.

The faction menu will be in order of how many members are in the faction e.g the faction with the most members will be at the top of the factions menu.

Vehicles:

There also should be military/emergency/civilians/SWAT

There should be a different amount of HP for every vehicle, military vehicles being the highest (duh)

And there should be a blowtorch and metal sheets to repair the vehicles, and in the garages can have wheels/windows/blowtorches/metalsheets/engine parts/fuel tank and you can fill the gas up at gas stations.

The vehicles should be able to run over zombies at a high speed (if this isn't added.. i dont even..)

You should also be able to add armour the cars with metal sheets on the windows or find bulletproof tires at military areas.

And there should be different engines fuel tanks and wheels for bigger and smaller cars.

You should also be able to shoot out of the vehicle you are in by smashing the window (this will make you bleed) or just simply open it (silly!)

And finally there should be zombies hiding in cars more zombies hiding in bigger vehicles less in smaller cars.

I'm really sorry for the long topic but I just had to release my ideas for the upcoming NPCs and vehicles.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome! :)

I've not put any thought into vehicles, as they aren't something I would use myself in game, but I do like some of your points.

The shooting from a vehicle would be ok, as long as aiming penalties are introduced when moving at high speeds. I also like the idea of a wide variety of vehicles, with different loot in the trunks, so you find first aid kits in ambulances etc.

Also I like your NPC related traits, would be nice to have variety and just be a member of a community rather than a leader. Hopefully with the neutral survivors we get traders who set up in random buildings for a few in game days, then move on.

Hi Albie! I love your idea of looting the trunks and the shooting from vehicles penalties, maybe the shooting could be alright at about 10 mph but at higher speeds it gets less accurate and if you are drive by shooting and you are near a ton of zombies you can have a risk of getting your arm bitten, or if you are surrounded by a horde the zombies will smash through the windows and eat the passengers but you can barricade windows and it gives you a longer time to stop zombies breaking the windows. Also if you do happen to recruit survivors you can learn their specialities and jobs e.g if it was a nurse they can heal you if you give them medical supplies, if it is a farmer you have to supply them with seeds/trowels and water cans, if it is a former police officer give him a gun and ammo for it, if it is a soldier then give them shotguns and shells.

Thanks for welcoming me and thanks for sharing your interest!

Hi guys I joined this forum today so please excuse my very little knowledge of the forums, but I am here to suggest my thoughts about the upcoming NPCs and vehicles.

NPCs and vehicles combined:

NPCs should be able to get in cars with you and if the vehicle is full they can get in a second car that is functional and follow you in their car.

If you are driving through a big horde if the NPCs are armed with guns they should be able to

smash/open the window and shoot out at the zombies.

Also if there are NPCs that are bandits they should be able to shoot at you through the windows.

NPCs:

There should be traits that involve social behaviour with NPCs.

Socially Awkward: Easily stay on the negative side of survivors.

Socially Brave: Easily stay on the positive side of survivors.

Suspicious: Survivors may have a chance of warning you and then attacking you if you threaten them.

Trustworthy: Survivors may have a chance of joining you or trading with you.

Persuasive: Even higher chance to convince survivors to trade/join you.

Implausible: Even lower chance to convince survivors to trade/join you.

Good Conversationist: Alot of good things to say.

Bad Conversationist: Alot of bad things to say.

NPCs should also be designated into three types: Heroes/Survivors/Bandits

Heroes will trade with you even if you are a bad conversationist, heroes will also attack bandits on sight, if you were to murder heroes you would become a bandit and it would be even harder to recruit survivors and heroes will attack you as you would be designated as a bandit

Survivors will be neutral with the player if you provoke them or threaten them they will attack if you speak nicely to them or trade with them they might join you if you kill a survivor you become a bandit.

Bandits will attempt to kill you on sight no matter who you are, there can be bandit factions so the bandits can team with other bandits but bandit factions will attack ANY NPC type of faction, if you kill a bandit you will become a hero but if you have killed survivors/heroes in the past you will be a permanent bandit and therefore will be attacked on sight by both of the other types of factions.

NPC types should have their colours for their factions

Green=Hero

Yellow=Survivor

Red=Bandit

The colour code should also apply to the NPCs you come across in the game.

The hero factions will be displayed as green on the factions menu and it will display how many heroes there are in it, Hero factions will only attack hostile factions e.g Bandit factions.

The survivor factions will be displayed as yellow on the factions menu and will display how many survivors are in that faction. Survivor factions can attack both heroes and bandits, if they attack heroes their faction name colour changes to red, if they target bandits their faction name colour changes to green they are designated as a hero faction.

The bandit factions will be displayed as yellow on the factions menu and will display how many bandits are in that faction. Bandit factions will attack both factions mainly heroes as heroes are the main people who attack bandits.

The faction menu will be in order of how many members are in the faction e.g the faction with the most members will be at the top of the factions menu.

Vehicles:

There also should be military/emergency/civilians/SWAT

There should be a different amount of HP for every vehicle, military vehicles being the highest (duh)

And there should be a blowtorch and metal sheets to repair the vehicles, and in the garages can have wheels/windows/blowtorches/metalsheets/engine parts/fuel tank and you can fill the gas up at gas stations.

The vehicles should be able to run over zombies at a high speed (if this isn't added.. i dont even..)

You should also be able to add armour the cars with metal sheets on the windows or find bulletproof tires at military areas.

And there should be different engines fuel tanks and wheels for bigger and smaller cars.

You should also be able to shoot out of the vehicle you are in by smashing the window (this will make you bleed) or just simply open it (silly!)

And finally there should be zombies hiding in cars more zombies hiding in bigger vehicles less in smaller cars.

I'm really sorry for the long topic but I just had to release my ideas for the upcoming NPCs and vehicles.

Thanks for reading!

first of all i would like to welcome you to the forums. second i would highly recommend you check out the rule before posting ( it will be below and i do this for everyone new.) second of all i would like to say it seems you thought this out very well and i do very much like it but NPC's are in progress and confirmed if i am correct as well as cars but good ideas none the less. anyone once again welcome to the forums and great to have another mind here.

%http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

first of all i would like to welcome you to the forums. second i would highly recommend you check out the rule before posting ( it will be below and i do this for everyone new.) second of all i would like to say it seems you thought this out very well and i do very much like it but NPC's are in progress and confirmed if i am correct as well as cars but good ideas none the less. anyone once again welcome to the forums and great to have another mind here.

%http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Yes, he knows they're confirmed, he's just suggesting details. As he said, "I am here to suggest my thoughts about the upcoming NPCs and vehicles."

Yes, he knows NPCs and vehicles are confirmed, he's just suggesting details for them.

1) you seemed to forget the quote box... no problem but it confused me since i thought you where saying ti again.

2) i just say that to every newbie to save us from hearing the few posts of confirmed, denied, or others until someone mentions it. i also figured but don't want to assume anything so i take the same precautions as i would with anyone. its just a situation thing. 

I fixed it a couple minutes after, the format was bugged and showed quotes.

i do very much like it but NPC's are in progress and confirmed if i am correct as well as cars but good ideas none the less

and

Bah, sure it was just a mistake on your hand, jjw. Great suggestion, EmperorNarwhal.

I fixed it a couple minutes after, the format was bugged and showed quotes.

i do very much like it but NPC's are in progress and confirmed if i am correct as well as cars but good ideas none the less

and

Bah, sure it was just a mistake on your hand, jjw. Great suggestion, EmperorNarwhal.

less of a mistake but more of a precaution but anyway lets get back to the topic at hand.

Always good to see new people posting ideas, I lurked for a long time before I joined here.

So would there be driving skills that you could level up? With Driving for beginners and stuff? I like the idea of meeting a getaway driver and bringing him into the community.

Amazing idea Albie! There should be a driving skill for different vehicles, maybe the skill should be required for different vehicles, trucks being the hardest as they are massive and heavy and maybe bicycles for level 0 or maybe level 1 and military cars maybe level 4 or maybe 5 if its a tank/apc and emergency vehicles maybe level 3 as they can go at high speeds and there are buttons to turn on sirens, also if you honk your horn you should attract zombies to your vehicle or if you simply drive past them they can hear it and maybe follow you for a while, also about the NPCs and character there should be a masonry skill so that you can build stone structures and NPCs should be able to level up masonry skills, masons having the highest, also you should be able to armour up cars with the mechanic skills level 0 for wooden barricades on the windows, and when you're leveling up to about level 2 it starts to increase the health if you build new ones and make it look done more professionally just like carpentry skill, and if you get level 4 in mechanic you can add stone protection that has alot more protection then wooden barricades, etc and if your like level 6 you can add metal armour, and if you max the mechanic skill out you can add bulletproof survivors from bandits shooting your vehicle or bulletproof windows, but their sizes vary so a small window for a tiny car, and a huge window for a truck or a bus, great ideas once again guys feel free to post suggestions.

Amazing idea Albie! There should be a driving skill for different vehicles, maybe the skill should be required for different vehicles, trucks being the hardest as they are massive and heavy and maybe bicycles for level 0 or maybe level 1 and military cars maybe level 4 or maybe 5 if its a tank/apc and emergency vehicles maybe level 3 as they can go at high speeds and there are buttons to turn on sirens, also if you honk your horn you should attract zombies to your vehicle or if you simply drive past them they can hear it and maybe follow you for a while, also about the NPCs and character there should be a masonry skill so that you can build stone structures and NPCs should be able to level up masonry skills, masons having the highest, also you should be able to armour up cars with the mechanic skills level 0 for wooden barricades on the windows, and when you're leveling up to about level 2 it starts to increase the health if you build new ones and make it look done more professionally just like carpentry skill, and if you get level 4 in mechanic you can add stone protection that has alot more protection then wooden barricades, etc and if your like level 6 you can add metal armour, and if you max the mechanic skill out you can add bulletproof survivors from bandits shooting your vehicle or bulletproof windows, but their sizes vary so a small window for a tiny car, and a huge window for a truck or a bus, great ideas once again guys feel free to post suggestions.

i really need to post my idea soon because it is all in word just needing to be copied over. all the ideas u said where in it (most of them) as well as a lot more. Still needs a fix or two so i will get to that.

Also about the NPCs, you should be able to ally with a faction or become enemies with a point system (50 for neutral, 0 for enemies, 75 for allies) and you can order NPCs to attack a faction but this will bring your points down.

If you attack once you lose 20 points an attack is where you can attack their structures and kill some NPCs

If you raid once then you lose 25 points a raid is where you destroy all structures kill all the NPCs and steal their loot and food

Also if you attack a faction that is allied with another faction, that faction will attack your base/bases and will steal your loot, and its the same with the player, if you are allied with a faction you can order them to attack a faction in the towns.

And on sandbox mode there should be a box to customize the NPCs just like the custom zombies thing if the normal NPCs aren't your liking.

I'm scared now of NPCs because them gunshots and dogs will attract zombies, then I have to kill them for making noise or just recruit them..

I'll focus on the friendly / unfriendly suggestions. I think there can't be any way to objectively state whether a faction is "good" or "bad" using points for kills or whatsoever.

Actually, someone killed by a faction may have been someone's ally but another one's enemy. How do you take that into account? In the first place, how do you even know who's allied with who? What about "mercy kills" to shorten a friend's zombification?

IMO there are way too many options to create anything viable based upon reputation. Life isn't all black & white and so would be post-apocalyptic life. Alliances and wars come and go. You can keep the factions idea though, the game offers possibilites to differentiate them (dress code for instance)

for NPC's i suggest the basic combat system that is in now. only change would be that you punch when unarmed rather then push. then the whole ally system just make it so mercy kills are only counted if no one see's it and they trace it back to you somehow. then for the rest make it so there are different types of groups. 

1) Hostile-pretty much kill on sight and is caused by massive casualties, looting, and destruction.

2) aggravated- they do not like you but they will spare you most of the time. 

3) Neutral- They just are in between.

4) friendly- They will typically assist you when needed, will lower trade costs, and be there when its very urgent.

5) allied- This is basically another part of your team. free stuff from time to time and help with even minor things like farms or building a few walls.

Now the only way to really improve any situations would be to trade, donate, assist, or other non hostile actions. The opposite goes for harming situations. The only thing that could make a Allied drop to Aggravated would be if someone was killed and they wanted the killer dead. Protecting them would drop them instantly.

Any thoughts?

For people who aren't happy about the factions thing, I have changed my mind to that if you have a scout in your faction, you can send your scout around town to find bases/factions if they manage to find a faction, you can order them to pretend to join them to get info on them via radio for the realists, and your scout will reveal information every few weeks or so? and then you can see how many people they have killed and if they are bandits/heroes also about the allies will attack the enemies if they attack you, this will only apply if your ally is not allied with that faction, and if your ally is neutral with that faction it will be a 50% chance they will help you attack them, if they are enemies with them its probably around 80% chance of attacking with you.

@jjwpenguin Changing the push animation to a punch animation is an absolutely amazing idea, when I am taking on a group of zombies with a melee and I want to get really close to them, all my character does is push them and then stab/whack the ones that are at a moderate distance and this drives me round the bend when I am taking on hordes as I get scratched and start bleeding etc all because I cant punch them to do some slight damage as when you push them I don't think it does any damage but it stops zombies from attacking you for a short time. Also the NPC relation thing is a really good suggestion to add as not all NPCs like each other etc.

For people who aren't happy about the factions thing, I have changed my mind to that if you have a scout in your faction, you can send your scout around town to find bases/factions if they manage to find a faction, you can order them to pretend to join them to get info on them via radio for the realists, and your scout will reveal information every few weeks or so? and then you can see how many people they have killed and if they are bandits/heroes also about the allies will attack the enemies if they attack you, this will only apply if your ally is not allied with that faction, and if your ally is neutral with that faction it will be a 50% chance they will help you attack them, if they are enemies with them its probably around 80% chance of attacking with you.

@jjwpenguin Changing the push animation to a punch animation is an absolutely amazing idea, when I am taking on a group of zombies with a melee and I want to get really close to them, all my character does is push them and then stab/whack the ones that are at a moderate distance and this drives me round the bend when I am taking on hordes as I get scratched and start bleeding etc all because I cant punch them to do some slight damage as when you push them I don't think it does any damage but it stops zombies from attacking you for a short time. Also the NPC relation thing is a really good suggestion to add as not all NPCs like each other etc.

Meh, ideas are my specialty. i have a few notebooks filled on them and if school wasn't just starting i would be working on them a little more. (Including my cars idea. 20 pages in word so far....)

• 3 weeks later...