Tent Rework

Albie

Just a thought that's been kicking around for a while. Is there any way to change the tent kit? At the moment you can only sleep in it on single player, and in multiplayer it servers no purpose. I'm not sure how hard it could be to change, but is there a way to make the tent a one or two block wide shelter when you set it up? Like a very very small room with weak walls and weak zip door. This would at least enable you to use it for cover from the rain on multiplayer, and would not provide too much protection from zombies as to be overpowered. Would also be able to update it to involve the fatigue system and you could rest in there too.

Obviously it's not a high priority, but just thought I'd mention it.

Just a thought that's been kicking around for a while. Is there any way to change the tent kit? At the moment you can only sleep in it on single player, and in multiplayer it servers no purpose. I'm not sure how hard it could be to change, but is there a way to make the tent a one or two block wide shelter when you set it up? Like a very very small room with weak walls and weak zip door. This would at least enable you to use it for cover from the rain on multiplayer, and would not provide too much protection from zombies as to be overpowered. Would also be able to update it to involve the fatigue system and you could rest in there too.

Obviously it's not a high priority, but just thought I'd mention it.

I've been thinking the same stuff about it in regards to multiplayer. Generally agree that it needs some tangible use.

Should be usable to "rest" with it, at the very least, like any bed or sofa or whatnot.

Protection from rain while using it is close second in what functions it should fill.

I'm not sure it should provide any protection from zombies, though. I lean towards "no" on that subject.

Yeah, I would like if the tent was very flimsy, and would havefer no protection. Maybe something like a few hits and it collapses, just giving you enough time to wake up as a hand reaches out for your foot! But I do agree on your point of no protection Wratts.

I wasn't sure if it would be possible to make it a building, unless maybe a crafting option which requires the player to use the tent kit, and place it, similar to how you place crates etc. Then it could be a three walled structure you place. I only thought of it being a structure as it could support up to two people standing in it, similar to a two man tent in real life (obviously not standing upright, but you get my drift.)

As I said it may not be possible, but hopefully we can find a way to implement it by discussing it. :)

I don't believe tents protect you from rain... At least, that's how it was back in 31, and I've yet to test it out again.

I would love to see an additional tent-like kit made of tarps, like a makeshift roofing that can easily be put up and brought down which would otherwise protect you - and anything under it - from rain.

IMG_8202.jpg

I don't believe tents protect you from rain... At least, that's how it was back in 31, and I've yet to test it out again.

I would love to see an additional tent-like kit made of tarps, like a makeshift roofing that can easily be put up and brought down which would otherwise protect you - and anything under it - from rain.

IMG_8202.jpg

makeshift roofing was a topic i had seen before and i was all for it. possibly one of those fold up roofing that can be carried on your shoulder but are pretty heavy and take forever to set up.

That looks so awesome! Hopefully if the tents do get reworked, they release an outdoors shop, containing tents, outdoor clothing (when implemented), hiking bags, campfire kits as well as fuel for other cooking methods. Also maybe a better quality tent too, so if the tents get knocked down, a better tent may be able to be salvaged and reused, whereas a crafted tent would have more chance to break and be useless. But I guess that's getting ahead of myself. (clyde)

am i the only one who thinks it acting like a wall would be a bad thing since it only takes a good knock to take out a proper tent and the one in game is makeshift. having zombies attack it for 10 or so hits seem unrealistic. unless it was one of these tents that take hours to set up and have solid wall frams or something like that.

When I said a tent should provide protection, I meant very little. No more than a few hits to knock it down. I mentioned protection in case it was easier to mod existing walls for tent texture, then lower the wall durability to its lowest point.

Also, some fishing bivvys are able to withstand trees falling on them, Nash previews of their tents show two people stood on it. Much more durable than you would first think. Obviously this would be overpowered. But it takes more than a few punches to knock one down.

I was thinking that a tent should withstand a single zombie, but not for long. This would signify someone trying to get in, and the survivor would scramble to defend himself. Any more than one zombie and it should be knocked down, as they would just trample over it.

When I said a tent should provide protection, I meant very little. No more than a few hits to knock it down. I mentioned protection in case it was easier to mod existing walls for tent texture, then lower the wall durability to its lowest point.

Also, some fishing bivvys are able to withstand trees falling on them, Nash previews of their tents show two people stood on it. Much more durable than you would first think. Obviously this would be overpowered. But it takes more than a few punches to knock one down.

I was thinking that a tent should withstand a single zombie, but not for long. This would signify someone trying to get in, and the survivor would scramble to defend himself. Any more than one zombie and it should be knocked down, as they would just trample over it.

well i am going off the hand made tent just using a tarp, a few sticks, and some pegs. this would really just be trampled in one if not two hits. remember this isn't some amazing store bought tent. i can make it within a few seconds and destroy it in even less.

Of course, I wouldn't want tents to be too OP, and the strength difference between a found tent and made tent should be minimal if there at all to balance the game. I was just bringing up the strength of some tents nowadays as a talking point. As long as you can stand in it and it covers you from rain, its all we need. :)

IMG_8202.jpg

(clyde) the amazin' zombie-war makeshift-tent mwuahahahah 8-)  :D