Movement Speed

Trojan_Turps

Zombies don't move very fast and there has been lots of talk about making them faster. But what about things to make the player slower?

Recently I fractured my leg then had to flee/crawl from my safe/dangerous house. I slowly make my way from one end of muld to the other to get to my other safeish house. not being able to out walk zombies makes life alot more interesting. I had a great time completely changing my style of play and truly fearing the zombies.

Adjusting how weigh, exertion, lack of sleep, illness, health and terrain affect speed could really slow us down :)  and force us to think and play in a completely (or slightly) different way.    

Look, I'm pretty sure we don't need any more ways to be slowed down. There's already leg injuries, extremely slow movement in forests, high exertion, and and heavy loads.

well the forests are too op since walking thought a tree apparently means it takes a good 5 minutes (in game time) and everything else is based on the conditions your in so i wouldn't mind have some more variety of things that slow you, as long as you are not constantly slowed by something every step you take by outside factors.

Look, I'm pretty sure we don't need any more ways to be slowed down. There's already leg injuries, extremely slow movement in forests, high exertion, and and heavy loads.

We might not need anything else, but I would like what we do have to be tweaked so it affects us more.

When the new animations get added movement will be changed. I hope that these changes slow us down :P

Maybe Long grass slowing you down (it might already?)

Getting snagged on bushes and trees.

Does overheating slow you down?

but trees need to be less effective then what they are now. they slow too much

I think that trees just need spacing out a bit and maybe have different trees slow you down different/random amounts.

Maybe Long grass slowing you down (it might already?)

Getting snagged on bushes and trees.

Does overheating slow you down?

but trees need to be less effective then what they are now. they slow too much

I think that trees just need spacing out a bit and maybe have different trees slow you down different/random amounts.

this would actually be a great idea. this should totally happen.

The reason (I think) that trees slow you down so much is your a human being, do you want pine needles giving you cuts and bruises all the time? What about insects in the tree? I'm like to think it simulates the player trying to safely get past the tree. Though I wish zombies wouldn't get slowed as much (as they don't care if hurt or not) and if you run through it slows you less but you can get cuts/bruises (obviously nothing too severe but, it'll not be fun)

The reason (I think) that trees slow you down so much is your a human being, do you want pine needles giving you cuts and bruises all the time? What about insects in the tree? I'm like to think it simulates the player trying to safely get past the tree. Though I wish zombies wouldn't get slowed as much (as they don't care if hurt or not) and if you run through it slows you less but you can get cuts/bruises (obviously nothing too severe but, it'll not be fun)

but i could run around the tree stumps since i don't think the trees are lined one next to the other making a perfect wall and this continues multiple layers thick. i grew up in a city and never learned how to maneuver through trees but i could still go faster then what he is now (realistically and taking into account of pz speed and such.)

One problem is the graphics style of the trees. I don't think they need to change the look but it does make things interesting.

I like the idea of getting scratches from running through trees. It would be cool if it had a high chance of tripping too.

I like that zombies get slowed down because I don't see them being very good at avoiding branches etc.

It would be cool if your speed was naturally changing as you moved through the forest. At the moment you are moving normally or really slow.

I'm almost tempted to suggest using Don't Starve as a model for mobility.

Almost all terrain leaves you with your base movement speed, depending on who you play as.

Roads and other paved surfaces allow you to move faster, rightfully so.

Particularly hazardous or uneven terrain, like mud or marches, slow you down.

I would love to see players move a little slower on grass and dirt, but have their speed return to normal when using player-made roads or streets. Meanwhile, forest environments just slow you down altogether - maybe not gravely so, but enough for most players to find it inconvenient.

If different surfaces (road, grass, mud etc affect movement speed they could add different foot wear with different movement bonuses.

Trainers - bonus on roads and paths.

Boots - bonus on grass, mud and wet surfaces.

i had mentioned something like this in my clothing suggestion where things like hiking boots, boots, steel toe boots, and cleats improve speed off road while things like running shoes and sneakers would provide on road buffs.

Today I was fighting some zombies when I realized that I was hungry. So I walk away while eating some crisps. It would be cool if when moving and eating you had a percentage chance to drop the food, especially when panicking. This could be interesting if it happened when changing weapons etc :P

Dropping stuff... how annoyingly fun could that be?

Today I was fighting some zombies when I realized that I was hungry. So I walk away while eating some crisps. It would be cool if when moving and eating you had a percentage chance to drop the food, especially when panicking. This could be interesting if it happened when changing weapons etc :P

i figured it would also follow don't starve logic where during rain items may slip from your hands. but i fully agree with you, possibly it could leave a chip trail or partially eaten chips and this could be used for tracking by players or animals later on.

I'm not even sure if the item you are eating is equipped into your primary/secondary slot? Allowing eating while holding an axe with both hands? But I'm not sure?

well i know its possible to hold something with both hands as well as have something smaller in the other like a generator and a knife. or carry things like logs under one arm and have an ax in the other. i mean irl not in game.

Regarding trees; I grew up in a heavily [pine] forested area [Lake Tahoe, California], and trees tend to spread out a little bit, otherwise they're having to compete for root space, and sunlight. Even then, old trees tend to have clearance [12-15'] trunkwise, as they spread up, and out for the best solar real estate. Can't see worth a damn in a forest, but if you really want to try and get through in a hurry, it's not impossible. Not -smart- mind, as there's a lot of ground covered in pine needles and loose rocks, but the trees themselves aren't half the obstacle they are in PZ. 

If I were a dev I'd be pushing to deforest by 30-50%, making sure there was space between the trees. Getting lost would be a much greater problem than getting stuck. [it also mitigates the tree movement speed without having to retool trees entirely.]

Of course, in all the games I've played that involved a trip to the woods, I started with axes, clearing a road and using the lumber to wall it off at the tree line. But I'm probably OCD. 

If they add different terrain speeds then it would be nice to get more terrain types or classifications-

Flat - uneven - rough

Maybe with different variants added-

Medium grass - long grass - mud - rocks - rubbish

Some could add a chance to trip if sprinting or panicking.

Also while I'm at it they should add shallow water for streams and waters edge. This would be able to walk in with decreased speed.

That's not "annoyingly fun", that's just plain annoying. If it does happen, make it part of the clumsy trait, because I'm pretty sure people don't randomly drop their food when eating.

That's not "annoyingly fun", that's just plain annoying. If it does happen, make it part of the clumsy trait, because I'm pretty sure people don't randomly drop their food when eating.

How many times have you had to eat while moving and being followed by zombies? I personally think I would be paying more attention to not being eaten than eating.

If it did happen it would probably also be linked to panicking. Panicking makes you lose control. I know some people hate losing control in computer games but I find a little loss of control exciting. It's an important way of representing fear in the character when the player is chilling out at home.