Demolished stairs vs Sky Forts

J0hnm13

Like i said before and i will say it again, i dont think the devs planned people to break the stairs of houses and put sheet ropes to make a impenetrable fortress or making a floating base, its a feature that should not work like that, do you think people are going to give a crap about some guy who broke the stairs, made a base and a farm in the rooftop and survived 2 years?

The floating fortress is an (probably) unintended side effect of the building system that hasn't been ironed out yet.  But the the sheet ropes and the ability to knock out the stairs with the sledgehammer was added intentionally by the dev's.  If its good enough for Max Brook's its good enough for me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New challenge idea! See how long it'll take before you jump down out of the sheer need for something interesting to happen.

W30l7Ew.jpg

And since it's an intended feature I'll just shut up now and return to my suboptimal self imposed "Stairs are invincible" challenge game session :S

We all know the gameplay feature that will fix this ;) the other solution is just to ban yourself from doing it - or take sledgehammers out the loot table :D

I'm in the 'it's cheating' camp.

Here's my possible solutions, I think all 3 would be great to have.

In real life you sure could destroy or completely block some stairs, but then how are you going to carry bags of loot up that sheet rope?

- I don't think you should be able to climb a sheet rope with more than 25% of your max carryable weight (variable with traits, maybe 10-40%) - have you tried climbing a rope while carrying stuff? Seriously it's not going to happen :D

Not sure on the percent, but that would make it true to real life and also be good for the game.

- Don't allow you to put soil anywhere but on the ground floor - you have to come down to grow and tend your crops.

I suppose in real life you could have a massive rooftop greenhouse, but in terms of gameplay I think you should be required to only grow at ground level.

- Don't allow the last staircase to be destroyed

This one is simple logic, and probably the best solution (although you'd still need point 1 to prevent stairs to nowhere being placed).

In real life you sure could destroy or completely block some stairs, but then how are you going to carry bags of loot up that sheet rope?

- I don't think you should be able to climb a sheet rope with more than 25% of your max carryable weight (variable with traits, maybe 10-40%) - have you tried climbing a rope while carrying stuff? Seriously it's not going to happen :D

Not sure on the percent, but that would make it true to real life and also be good for the game.

Grab the end of the sheetrope. Knot the bag onto it. Climb up without the bag on your back. At the top just pull the bag up and detach it from the sheetrope. Problem solved.

---

Why is the need to make lootruns in any way correlated to the presence or absence of stairs in my safehouse?

I can live on a roof for month with or without the stairs. If a horde shows up, I'm f***ed up in both cases, somehow. It's not getting less or more interesting if I have a small relatively safe island in a big sea of death.

To say, those people who knock out stairs are all self-sustainable farming-simulator gamers, who never leave their roof again is quite cheap.

To just knock out the stairs or to build a unrealistic floating magic carpet base are two totally different things, imo.

But i guess its like the pancake vs waffles discussion. It's all personal opinion... (i liked the a-hole comparison above :D)

Conclusion:

Pancakes rule! (You keep nasty american pancakes, dutch pannenkoeken ftw! <3)

I'm in the 'it's cheating' camp.

Here's my possible solutions, I think all 3 would be great to have.

- Don't allow you to put soil anywhere but on the ground floor - you have to come down to grow and tend your crops.

I suppose in real life you could have a massive rooftop greenhouse, but in terms of gameplay I think you should be required to only grow at ground level.

This

Especially the ground floor/soil one.

About rope, one could only climb without bags (or just small ones?)

About bags, in real life a solution could be: rope/sheet ropes + (plastic) basket, but I am not sure how it could work in game and I am not even suggesting it, just saying first thing coming to mind...

while CreepyD's idea sounds good and simple enough.

That, indeed, sounds like a good and gameplaywise reasonable idea.

I do all my farming on ground floor anyway, not enough room in a prefab house. I agree with the farming on ground floor. A pile of dirt on a roof wouldn't have the nutrients to nourish a crop, let alone a rotation. Building a greenhouse on the roof would be good as long as it was hard to maintain, so you would have to leave the roof to get parts. Either way, good ideas suggested.

I want to do things in PZ that I could do IRL if the Z-Apoc happened.

Could I with an axe and/or a sledgehammer destroy the strairs in my own home? Yes.

Could I place a rope out of a window and climb up and down it? Yes, if I wasn't carrying a heavy load or I was too physically exhausted.

Would I trust a rope made of bed sheets to support my weight? Not for long. I would only do this as a last ditch resort. I am pretty sure there was a chapter in Max Brooks 'World War Z' where a character used sheet ropes to escape their apartment. Sheet ropes are mentioned in the literature of the generally accepted zombie lore of PZ, so I am not opposed to them being in PZ. I just don't think they should be so permanent or trustworthy as they currently are. The weight strain, rain, snow, and sun exposure would eventually compromise the integrity of that sheet rope.

Could I build a structure that has no supports and floats with some sort of anti-gravity? No.

I don't care how you decide to play the game. If an action is realistic and plausible I have no problem with players doing it in this game. Play how you want within the limits of your imagination. Leoquent below easily solved the excessive weight while attempting to climb a rope problem. Smarter, not harder, by using his/her brain.

Grab the end of the sheetrope. Knot the bag onto it. Climb up without the bag on your back. At the top just pull the bag up and detach it from the sheetrope. Problem solved.

Thats my opinion on this debate.

I want to do things in PZ that I could do IRL if the Z-Apoc happened.

Could I with an axe and/or a sledgehammer destroy the strairs in my own home? Yes.

Could I place a rope out of a window and climb up and down it? Yes, if I wasn't carrying a heavy load or I was too physically exhausted.

Would I trust a rope made of bed sheets to support my weight? Not for long. I would only do this as a last ditch resort. I am pretty sure there was a chapter in Max Brooks 'World War Z' where a character used sheet ropes to escape their apartment. Sheet ropes are mentioned in the literature of the generally accepted zombie lore of PZ, so I am not opposed to them being in PZ. I just don't think they should be so permanent or trustworthy as they currently are. The weight strain, rain, snow, and sun exposure would eventually compromise the integrity of that sheet rope.

Could I build a structure that has no supports and floats with some sort of anti-gravity? No.

I don't care how you decide to play the game. If an action is realistic and plausible I have no problem with players doing it in this game. Play how you want within the limits of your imagination. Leoquent below easily solved the excessive weight while attempting to climb a rope problem. Smarter, not harder, by using his/her brain.

Thats my opinion on this debate.

Look i know sheet ropes are good and i dont have a problem with them existing, the problem like you said is that they are VERY trust worthy, i remember that chapter in WWZ, and i recall that he was getting tired each time he went down the rope and was about to pass out when he tried to climb back, climbing a rope is not a easy task, it should be something that makes your endurance go down FAST, and if you are tired you should not be able to climb up at all, and if you climb up there should be a chance of falling flat on your ass unless you have the strong perk.

I like the durability thing you said, but going down the rope once should be enough to make the knot on the sheets be more fragile than when you first made it, only a crazy person would climb back up the same sheet rope he used to climb down out of a window, like you and i have said countless times, there should be a chance of the rope breaking, be for the sun, the weight you are carrying,rain or even using it more than 2 times.

Obviously, floating fortress is non-sense and abuse. That must be banned from the game and it's just a lame tactics from lame players.

Destroying stairs and building a roofed safehouse seems legit on the other way...

But i consider it's quite too easy and secure to use ropes (cloth rope or not... :P ) and i'm greatly in favor of adding a chance factor to break to them.

Let's say (most of these ideas have been pointed by others in this thread) :

1) 15% base (un)luck for a cloth rope to break on use* (0% for rope) for a character w/o overcharge;

2) +15% chance to break if your character has the obese trait;

3) +15% chance to break/stage of charge (30%/15% at stage 1 ; 45%/30% at stage 2 ; 60%/45% on stage 3; see belof for stage 4);

4) Auto-break if you use a rope at max. charge;

5) Just make it impossible to use rope at max. stage of Exhaust.

And add a usage/life bar to the item could also help, even if i dont know of to measure the weakening exactly.

* : The check for break is done when the player try to climb the rope and can't induce dmg fall ; that would be double penalty and very unpleasant, especially if you dont abuse the rope system.

All of these wont stop people to (ab)use the ropes, but at least, that would restaure a measure of danger even for the safest roof fortress (except, of sure, if you never leave your platform, but that's your choice and can't be blamed).

Grab the end of the sheetrope. Knot the bag onto it. Climb up without the bag on your back. At the top just pull the bag up and detach it from the sheetrope. Problem solved

That would honestly work w/o zeds around and you got time to do it. That wont prevent the usage of the rope and the chance of it to break if you climb up an overcharged bag.