Insects

ethanwdp

Insects. They're everywhere, except for Westpoint and Muldraugh, for whatever reason. Which brings me to my suggestion: Add Insects.

You can find them and eat them, for a small bit of hunger and a large amount of unhappiness. They can infest safehouses if you leave food everywhere, and they will gradually wear down your safe house if you don't take care of it.

If you venture into the woods at night without bugspray, mosquitoes will annoy the shit out of your character and will cause a bit of pain. Go through tall grass in the summer without bugspray and ticks will suck your blood until you remove them (with a success chance based on your first aid skill)

If you have the Outdoorsman perk, you won't be bugged as much by, well, bugs, including the consumption of them.

This would balance out the wilderness. If you decide to make a base in the middle of the woods, you're going to need a supply of bug spray at night, anti-mosquito bed nets, constant upkeep, making bug traps, and dumping a few points in Outdoorsman if you don't want your character to be affected as much.

With the natural ecosystem being disrupted by the sudden disappearance of humans and a sudden appearance of shambling easy prey, mosquito's are going to multiply after every winter (and mosquito's will NOT carry the zombie disease)

Sure, if you make it to winter then the bugs will be gone, but they will be multiplied after everything thaws depending on the amount of zombies in the area. You better keep a stock of bugspray and keep the zombie population in check, or mosquito's will beat the shit out of you.

This would also allow for two new traits: insectophobia, and arachnophobia.

I agree. I do like the ideas of pests and insects. Snails and slugs could also be another pest. And I also like the buff to the outdoorsman perk. I feel it would be better placed in the park ranger occupation though. Also another thing that would be cool was if fire repelled the pests due to smoke while being near rivers, water barrels, and out in the forest would increase it.