Altering base game recipes/items

UngratefulDead

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but is it possible to write a mod that overwrites a base game item or recipe? For example, if I wanted to add fur to the skinning of rabbits and squirrels from traps. I know I can just change the script in the base folders, but is there a way to do it via the mod itself?

You may be interested in my Fur Clothes mod, which allows you to skin rabbits and squirrels (as well as rats and mice with high enough Trapping skill) for fur to make some warmer clothing to get you through a cold winter. Feel free to tinker around with it if you want, just let me know if you plan on uploading it somewhere.

As far as editing a base recipe, I haven't found a way. The way recipes work allow for multiple recipes of the same name, so there isn't a way to edit base recipes without editing the base files. You just have to add a new one.

Okay, I'm just going to use this as my general questions thread: how do I play a sound that will actually attract zombies? Other than for weapons, I can't figure out how to make one that isn't just for show. I've been digging through the luas trying to figure it out. Even just a way to trigger one of the weapons sounds would actually work in this case, I want a recipe that creates a loud gunshot sound as part of the triggered OnCreate function.