The only way to kill boredom so far is by reading books or magazines, that's not bad, of course not. But not everyone in the post-apocalyptic world would read books to entertain themselves, even knowing the fact that literature is the easiest way to create entertainment.

The survivors could find some other ways to pass the time, of course that some of these ways could be more difficult to achieve.

The main idea is basically introduce an actual use for these 4 items: Earbuds, Headphones, CD player and CDs. It's obvious at this point what is the use that I'm implying for these items. There could be the function to "upload" music to your game, with the basic data to put in a CD(band name, number of songs, name of songs and their respective duration). The CDs would spawn in the world, with each one containing a individual album or recopilation of songs. The CDs are reproduce by the CD player that could only need one battery to run for 4-6 hours, and both the earbuds or headphones are used to hear the music. Listening to music would lower your boredom but also make harder to hear sounds of the ambient, and it could get even harder with higher volumes.

The portable game console could be also charged with batteries and used to play with, but while playing it will emit noise. (I think that this one was already suggested, in that case if the suggester is reading these please note that I'm not stealing your idea, I only don't remember your username :oops: ).

Aditionally, dolls, teddy bears, bricktoys, cubes , yoyos and spiffos could be used to play and lower both unhappiness and boredom. Also writing in journals or in any similar objects could lower your boredom.

Furthermore, while playing or reading more than the necessary could generate "joyful" moodles that increase slighty your XP gain. But if you overuse a certain entertainment item your character could get bored of it and then getting again a bored moodle.

I'd also suggest for books to loose their Boredom and Unhappiness values after reading instead of dissappearing from character's inventory, perhaps regain them with time (I myself hate reading, but I know a lot of people who love it and often read books they already read before just to discover new things or smth)

Edit: typos

I love this idea but instead of us uploading our own music I think it would be cooler to have the music guy who did the score for the game to create new simple music for the cds kind of like a polyphonic ringtone that plays over and over, imagine in the chat box "WTT 2 bottles of whiskey for 1 Dance Mix CD" lol

For the video games console I'd love it if it opened up a new small window of a simple 8 bit game like a video game within a video game type thing :D

I'd also suggest for books to loose their Boredom and Unhappiness values after reading instead of dissappearing from character's inventory, perhaps regain them with time (I myself hate reading, but I know a lot of people who love it and often read books they already read before just to discover new things or smth)

Edit: typos

Yeah that's something that I forgor to write xD.

I love this idea but instead of us uploading our own music I think it would be cooler to have the music guy who did the score for the game to create new simple music for the cds kind of like a polyphonic ringtone that plays over and over, imagine in the chat box "WTT 2 bottles of whiskey for 1 Dance Mix CD" lol

For the video games console I'd love it if it opened up a new small window of a simple 8 bit game like a video game within a video game type thing :D

Our beloved music guy (I can't remember his name) could do that also, but I feel like it will be cooler to have your own music and surviving at the rhythm of your favourite apocalyptic songs.

BTW the game into game thing it's cool, but I personally think that it will banish a bit the sense of threat and survival. But it's cool. 

Our beloved music guy (I can't remember his name) could do that also, but I feel like it will be cooler to have your own music and surviving at the rhythm of your favourite apocalyptic songs.

BTW the game into game thing it's cool, but I personally think that it will banish a bit the sense of threat and survival. But it's cool. 

I know it sounds weird but I think that could be considered a little op, I mean you listen to your own favourite music in real life as you play the game (most probably do this already) and it benefits you in game. that's kinda op when you think about it :)

Well, boredom levels drop if you go outside, which I choose to believe is a joke aimed at the players.

Edit: Just to be clear, Boredom can easily be killed if the character is outside of a building. That being said, sure, I think items like Video Game etc. should be usable to kill boredom, so It's a nice suggestion.

I always wanted to use MP3, Video games and the cards decks to remove boredom, but really since i cant do that, i go outside, get panicked a bit and then i am happy.

• 6 months later...

I'll refresh this thread a little - with the addition of TVs, radios and walkie-talkies, maybe video games and CD players could use the existing interface for their functionality? Video game consoles could actually be a one-channel (or multi-channel if it have multiple games, or cartridges) station with it's own set of predefined "channels" separate from TVs, radios and walkie-talkies - it would generate noise, have switchable noise levels and allow the use of headphones/earbuds and requires batteries - everything is in the place already.

Same goes to CD player, but that would have a way to insert CDs too (crafting recipe maybe?) - it could also utilize channels system to switch tracks.

Instead of sophisticated ways to implement mini-game and custom soundtracks (which I'd really like though, but that may be request for when the game is further down the road of development), it could just write the lyrics of the music above the device (or your head if it's equipped), and random *plink* *pang* *bong* sounds for the video game console :P

Even without adding the mechanic of them to reduce boredom, they could've add a bit to lore and could be used as a device to attract zombies. Instead of running and shouting "Over here" all the time, one could just bring a CD-player with a max volume on them (let's assume these have a built-in speaker for simplicity and don't actually require headphones to work), if one would choose to.

I havent read this before but some of the suggested feature is already in the PZ Vanilla Patch Mod (like book not dissapearing when read) and the useless stuff like rubber duckies yoyos etc are a planned feature that will come in the next update hopefully also playing with in game furnitures like the pool table. 

the mod is located here:

Edited by ShuiYin