(I didn't test this myself, in fact I don't know if it is already a feature; so in case that this feature is already in the game please tell me so I can erase the post)

Something that could be a cool implementation would be irrigation circuits that would be build near water bodies. This could be kinda useful; the irrigation canals could be build 5 or 6 tiles away from an X water body, "automating" the watering of your crops, but this means that you need to settle down near the X water body or travelling all the way to your crops to examine that they weren't destroyed or infected.

farm it minecraft style )

IRL you can overhydrate many crops to their rooting death.

Also impelmenting ANY automaton is a bad idea because imo its is survive-until-u-die unlike many other happy-endgame content survival games.

I didn't thought that part  :oops: . Well in that case it could add another disadvantage to the concept. But I think that irrigation canals could be useful in multiplayer where players can take turns to watch the status of the crops and thus cutting the canals with rocks or something like that.

Did some research. I think its doable for high level farmer (knows required hydration level) and mid level mason-carpenter (construction itself). Some inter-skill crafting here ))

Automation is still an issue but that is debatable point because we have trapping which is kinda auto.