Using custom maps in a multiplayer server, but not in another?

Idiotekque

I've just come across the custom maps available today, and I'm interested in adding a few into a multiplayer server I want to host (New Denver, Bedford Falls, and Crayton), but I'm a little foggy on the exact details of how to do this correctly, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide on the process of this.

I read one thread saying you needed to go to your User file > Zomboid > Server > and some folders in this location, while other threads say you have to add the files into the Muldraugh folder in the game directory to overwrite cell files so the custom map knows where to overlay (since these are all confirmed to be working integrated maps, which is what I'm looking for). Could someone explain exactly how I'm supposed to insert the maps into the game for use on my own multiplayer server?

Also, beyond this, I'm also actively playing on a vanilla server, which my friend is hosting. If I go and put custom map folders in my game files, which apparently are overwriting cell/lot files, what's going to happen to my functionality with the vanilla server I'm already playing on? Am I able to host my own server, with custom maps integrated, while also being able to join up and play on my friend's vanilla server?

It blows my mind that there's no clear cut information on this after all this time, since the Zomboid community seems pretty active, but yeah, just hoping I can get some clarification on this before I mess anything up.

Thanks!

The MP crowd doesn't seem to be that active in the modding sections. They usually hunker down and figure things out themselves I guess. And I think most mappers are more SP oriented.

You could try finding a few servers that run modded maps and ask the people there personally (I think there are a few here on the forums). And if you do it'd be helpful if someone ;) made a post about it on the tutorials section!

Edit: I see your somewhat new here so I'll just add welcome to the forums!

Hm, but even if I did find a server like that, wouldn't I have to have the modded maps installed to be able to be able to play the modded content on that map, let alone join and whatnot? That's the thing, I have no clue since I've just jumped into this and there's little to no information about this.

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully someone who's savvy about this sees this thread.