Getting serious about "Late-Game Concerns" - Something to consider.

Magic Mark

A single word = Biofuel

It was an idea back at the 80s because of the petroleo crisis and you can make alchool from corn easily.

alchool based generators do exist since the late 70s by the way...

just my two cents

If Corn is added to the game then biodiesel could be an option.  Every diesal engine (made before 1993 which is conveniently when the game takes place)  can run on biodiesel with no changes whatsoever.  Also, According to wikipedia, it can also be used in some generators.  I'm very sure of how to make it so it might be to complicated for your survivor.  It could be something to keep in mind though

http://www.biodiesel.com/biodiesel/faq/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel  

From what I remember of the early 90s, biodiesel didn't really exist in a way that many people knew about it. :/

I was talking about biofuel like producing alcohol from Corn, not biodiesel (cool idea, but at the time the game is set very few have developed a working formula).

Alcohol based generators exist since the 70's if I am not wrong and if methods of creating alcohol are added to the game it could be an option for late game players.

From what I remember of the early 90s, biodiesel didn't really exist in a way that many people knew about it. :/

I was talking about biofuel like producing alcohol from Corn, not biodiesel (cool idea, but at the time the game is set very few have developed a working formula).

Alcohol based generators exist since the 70's if I am not wrong and if methods of creating alcohol are added to the game it could be an option for late game players.

i believe it was late 70's earlier 80's so i think it existed then. good idea.

Kim Jong Un makes awesome suggestions!

I quoted the original post but realized it was a bit long, so I just paraphrased in one line. But really though, I love all of these suggestions. One of the things that always got to me was the fact that brick buildings began to decay less than one year into the apocalypse.

My grandparents have lived in the same brick house since the early 80's and sure, there may have been a brick here and there over the past few decades they've had to replace. In one instance, the septic tank had to be replaced and there was some foundation damage because of that as well. But these were events that took place over a long period of time, and my grandfather repaired them because he is a mason. However I can understand that for game-play reasons, the buildings should take on a damaged appearance sooner than they would IRL simply so that the awesome art in this game will actually be seen.

As a survivor who spends more time than I'd like to admit deciding what color to paint his walls once I erect a safehouse, I would love the ability to take residence in a brick house instead and have the ability to maintain the appearance of said structure. This would mean more time for killin' zeds and going for loot runs instead of choosing which beige to paint the dining room.  (clyde)

As a huge backer of late-game progression, I whole heartily agree with every point you've made thus far. I am a strong believer that this game can only become as strong as the interest it provides towards the more dedicated fan base it has, and as one of said fans, I do also have to admit that the game lacks any real end-game.

Can I blame the game devs? No. Hell no. The game is still in its infancy, technically speaking, and I do have to cut them some slack due to such. But I don't think ignoring these suggestions is a very healthy way of tackling the growth of the game.

As it stands, the late-game ends when you've created a farm, and from then on the game becomes a farming simulator where maintaining said source of food is your one and only priority. Water is either readily available through the use of wells or rivers, or is out of your control if you depend on rain water. Safety becomes trivial once walls have been erected, and zombies will hardly ever spawn where the player spends most of his or her time. In short, once that point is reached, the game's appeal hangs solely on the hopes that the player remains immersed - which, not everyone can.

Again, I can't blame the devs, and the game is already one of my favorites, so do take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Speaking of maintaining a farm, though. I do love the idea of there being more to do than simply watch over one's crops. Maintaining your safe house, your generators, your vehicle - if we get any, and so on. Having the game beckon you to go out into the dust-caked remains of an empty city for parts, or specialized tools, or just to explore the potential hazards of a derelict town.

On the topic of safe houses, I do also like the idea of being able to build more things - given the right skills and background... I'm not against making certain parts of the game accessible only to characters with the right professions, that only makes having a cast of varied characters more valuable and makes replaying the game worth the effort. I'd love to see generators that only a mechanic can build and correctly maintain, and so on.

I can go on forever, but I shouldn't seeing as I may be at the risk of sounding like I'm complaining - which I'm really not.

As a huge backer of late-game progression, I whole heartily agree with every point you've made thus far. I am a strong believer that this game can only become as strong as the interest it provides towards the more dedicated fan base it has, and as one of said fans, I do also have to admit that the game lacks any real end-game.

Can I blame the game devs? No. Hell no. The game is still in its infancy, technically speaking, and I do have to cut them some slack due to such. But I don't think ignoring these suggestions is a very healthy way of tackling the growth of the game.

As it stands, the late-game ends when you've created a farm, and from then on the game becomes a farming simulator where maintaining said source of food is your one and only priority. Water is either readily available through the use of wells or rivers, or is out of your control if you depend on rain water. Safety becomes trivial once walls have been erected, and zombies will hardly ever spawn where the player spends most of his or her time. In short, once that point is reached, the game's appeal hangs solely on the hopes that the player remains immersed - which, not everyone can.

Again, I can't blame the devs, and the game is already one of my favorites, so do take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Speaking of maintaining a farm, though. I do love the idea of there being more to do than simply watch over one's crops. Maintaining your safe house, your generators, your vehicle - if we get any, and so on. Having the game beckon you to go out into the dust-caked remains of an empty city for parts, or specialized tools, or just to explore the potential hazards of a derelict town.

On the topic of safe houses, I do also like the idea of being able to build more things - given the right skills and background... I'm not against making certain parts of the game accessible only to characters with the right professions, that only makes having a cast of varied characters more valuable and makes replaying the game worth the effort. I'd love to see generators that only a mechanic can build and correctly maintain, and so on.

I can go on forever, but I shouldn't seeing as I may be at the risk of sounding like I'm complaining - which I'm really not.

You hit the nail on the head, although I have a different opinion about 'locked skills'.

Personally one thing I love about the current state is that it is possible to 'learn' everything - even though it is pain-painstakingly annoying and time-consuming (as it should be) to try and learn a skill your character has a 0.25% modifier in.

Reason being, I don't want to create multiple save files to fully explore the game as I'd basically have each file's base being 'incomplete' in a way. This is nullified in multiplayer as multiple players is a thing.

Now, I don't have a problem with having to 'crawl before I walk' when picking up a new skill in game, basically meaning that if I have to read a multitude of textbooks and have several levels of practice before I am able to hook up a solar panel I would not have a problem with it as long as it was possible.

You hit the nail on the head, although I have a different opinion about 'locked skills'.

Personally one thing I love about the current state is that it is possible to 'learn' everything - even though it is pain-painstakingly annoying and time-consuming (as it should be) to try and learn a skill your character has a 0.25% modifier in.

Reason being, I don't want to create multiple save files to fully explore the game as I'd basically have each file's base being 'incomplete' in a way. This is nullified in multiplayer as multiple players is a thing.

Now, I don't have a problem with having to 'crawl before I walk' when picking up a new skill in game, basically meaning that if I have to read a multitude of textbooks and have several levels of practice before I am able to hook up a solar panel I would not have a problem with it as long as it was possible.

For all intents and purposes, the answer to this is always NPCs.

I think this is when the NPCs kicks in, where players will actually want to cooperate with this AI to get a lot of stuff going.

When thinking of how PZ will be one time in the future:

I imagine myself as a officer worker starting out in some office in WP, i imagine i will met some NPC that is a total fuck up but i will try to keep him alive as long as possible, somehow i will end up living in the middle of the woods with other NPCs that has carpentry and electrician to keep a fridge i stole running, maybe i will be able to learn from the carpenter NPC some carpentry, making him set up some walls (this is some sort of feature i hope to be able to do), get a farm going and drama ensures inside the compound and then raiders come knocking on our doors and we all die.

Really that is what i hope future PZ can accomplish in a near future, we should be able to do all that fancy stuff, but to do that stuff we must first survive and then worry about decorations, not the other way around, so only players who are skilled enough to survive months instead of weeks can do all of this as a reward. 

That's fair, and I'll admit, I don't have a problem with all skills being up for grabs, despite my earlier post. Though, I do like that the skills not inherently part of your character's background already come with a much steeper learning curve, it provides a bit of immersion for myself that I need to put some actual effort and planning into learning a new skill. Compared to the earlier builds where everyone could learn everything at the same pace, and everyone was naturally a 'Jack of all Trades' seemed kinda... Lackluster. It was the reason why Construction Worker and Ranger became so overpowered as they provided the only real advantages.

At the end of the day, so long as deciding one's background continues to provide a real impact to my play style, I'll be happy... But I completely understand why locking off certain parts of the game may be a little extreme - though, I still believe it'd be pretty cool in a multiplayer setting, but that's just me.