Zombie Apocalypse Survival Tactics [Discussion]

LeoIvanov

So, the title and tags pretty much speak for themselves. What would you do if a real zombie apocalypse struck the world, your city included?

In my case - this is the area that I live in.

https://www.google.ru/maps/preview?authuser=0#!q=ulitsa+Marshala+Chuykova%2C+44%2C+Kazan'%2C+Respublika+Tatarstan%2C+420000&data=!1m4!1m3!1d1614!2d49.1275766!3d55.8335295!2m1!1e3!4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d588!2d49.1271294!3d55.834004!3m2!1i1366!2i667!4f35&fid=7

It is pretty much a small, tight square of buildings that, if you want so, can be blocked off entirely, if you pull out the furniture from the apartments on first floors. About 95% of 1st  floor windows have metal bars on them, so there is NO WAY that you can climb into first floor flat.

So, depending on the situation in my local area, I would start off with (varying from worst to best):

- Block my door with furniture - It's not like my door isn't metal and doesn't open outwards, it's just better be safe than sorry. Then empty out every single shelf at my home, start rummaging through needed and unneeded stuff. Sorting out Perishable, unperishable food, any sort of weapons, kitchen knives, documents, bags and containers,clothes. Get everything in separate bags/packets, and wait out until the zombies clear out from the neightboring area. If : It's waay more clear in a 4-5 days, head out. If not - wait 2 more days, then push through.

- Make sure electricity is on, otherwise go step above - grab the best clothing that lowers the chance of getting bitten and head out to the porch, checking if it's clear. Then I'll check each of my neightboor's doors one by one, see if anybody need help, or can assist me. Then head down with whoever I could bring to help (or alone, in that matter) and barricade the door on the lower floor. The entrance door to our porch is metal, and is locked all the time until electricy is out. So if electricy is on, First thing I'm doing is bringing furniture from nearest (or mine, although I live on fifth floor >_>) flat and fill up the entrance until it's full and impossible to climb/see/break through. As I mentioned earlier - windows are no problem, they are all atleast 1.5 story high (you'd have to be able to lift yourself up atleast once) and have metal bars on them in case of bulglary. Zombies can't climb, and they can't bite through metal bars. The only way is front door, and I'll be damn sure they can't get through there either. After this I'll spend several days going through flat to flat, checking for supplies and seeing if anyone needs help, gathering a group with me to plan whatever next we should do. I don't think many in our apartment block will try to listen to a 18 y/o kid, as they are all "more advanced/wise" >_>, so i'd have to play along, but still make sure my plan works. Then, after about a week or two, I'll be heading out through second story window on the porch (it allows us to access the small area atop of entrance door where I can climb up/down on.)

- Check on my neightbors - I'd have to make sure I have enough people with me, otherwise the plan will not work. Before that though - of course find the best clothing and weapon in my house prior to heading out. Since I am familiar with almost all of my neightbors, there won't be any "Don't fucking go near my door or I'll shoot you" confrontations, unless the owner is a fucking dick. I'll try to explain them the situation, and the neccesity to follow me. After that, We'll all gather resources to fight back if neccessary, and head outside. We'll bring the furniture outside and block the front porch door with it, so zombies don't even think about trying to barge into that door. We still have area uptop to get in/out, after all. Then I'll try and see how things go outside the apartment block that I recide in. IF there are a lot/medium amount of zombies, it's just not worth the risk, so I'll go back to the step above. If low amount - I'll try to convince my neightbors into helping me out clearing/luring them out of our location.

If none - Start gathering up people from other porches (mainly more people I know), and start bringing the cars up between the buildings. I'll make sure to have a backup route in case there has to be a getaway, both on car and on foot. One of my friends has a gun in his flat, I'll get people with me and we'd have to head out to loot the 24/7 store that is located 1 building away from where I live, basically half a block away. That's where things might get tingly. But I'll get further into the store looting in the next part. After 1-2 weeks, I'll gather everyone up and see who is up for leaving. After setting up who wants and doesn't want to live, I'll get people who could drive (jesus, I might need to start learning right now how to do it) and assign them to certain cars, then, after syphoning half a fuel (to make sure those who were left aren't going to die in extreme measures) - head out.

So, in above steps the ending was me heading out. Why? Because staying up for longer than 2 weeks in a place where you start off is not a good idea. There are several possible outcomes :

1) You'll starve out. Your food will run out and you'll die.

2) You'll die from dehydration. Yeah, not the best way to end either.

3) Zombies will eventually break any barricade that you've set. Either that, or two outcomes above.

4) Zombie apocalypse will end. Now if that isn't just the stupidest thing to imagine, that's sure unlikely to happen. But who knows - maybe they'll starve out faster than you? You are welcome to try.

Doesn't matter how uber awesome you are at not eating for a day, or being consumative, You won't survive longer than 1 month in a place where you live. And by the time you figure out that it's time to head out - Electricity will be out, water - probably aswell, more zombies will probably be produced, and you are likely to get weaker due to the way you'd have to plan out how to survive on whatever you've got. In situations like 2-3 - nobody guarantees that your neightbors/friends will be as careful at saving food as you are, they might not realise how dangerous the thing is, they might think that "military is strong, they'll fix it, it'll end soon", they might think that they'll be rescued soon... Neither of that adds up any extra time for your survival once you run out of your own food. By that time - you'll be too weak to leave and carry on.

Going to continue in reply below about what I'm going to do after I head out. Will cover up the grocery store that is painfully close to us (about 3 of them, actually), police stations (1 - just behind a building to the right, another - down the road, more like a night shift building, not even sure if that one is still used). Also - the big swamp that is on the other side of the road that can be a checkpoint to restock on the supply of purified/filtered out water. One bad thing about the area I live in - Is a HUGE ASS SUPERMARKET two apartment blocks away from me. Unlike in Dawn of the dead, i tend to believe that places like these are nothing but trouble. Be those armed looters, or a bunch of poor loosers who couldn't make it out in time and became a big, huge infected crowd.

Share your plans of survival in zombie apocalypse!

1) Get short term supplies quickly

2) Get to the harbor.   Oil tankers and freighters are natural fortresses. Use that as a base.  

3) Bring in soil and farm the deck.

3 things I'd stay away from : Airports, Harbors, Supermarkets/Big store complexes. Those things are most likely going to be crowded with people who will try to flee the city/get free stuff. More people equals more potential zombies. And we all know what the latter brings us to.

Don't really agree with your plan, Leo, as it consists of essentially staying in your home, fortifying it and hoping that things will clear up. That's a lot of hope.

It also seems to rely heavily on co-operation, something you'll find rather difficult in a survival scenario unless you really know the people, and you can trust them. Again, things don't always go according to plan in this regard, and panic can set in and become just as dangerous. Plus, the amount of supplies you think you would need, you'll have to double/triple that depending on the volume of people in your flat. If your planning on staying for a week/2weeks well, don't see how your supplies will last with what seems to be a lot of confined people.

Lets not forget that the supplies you stocked up on, will need to be quantified for departure. At the end of your stay in which you hope that the area is clear, your going to need to search for more supplies to bring with you where ever your going. Coupled this with potential hanger-ons that you'll no doubt have, the moral of the group, well its a recipe for disaster. Your going to be looking for supplies in a urban zone that by now, is most likely crawling with dead, and you have no idea how many of them are there. This along with moving into a zone with a large group is going to create panic, and nothing is worse than mass panic.

I'm not sure how urbanized your area is as that link didn't work for me, but I assume since your in a flat that its fairly urbanized. Waiting around in an urban area is really taking a big unnecessary risk. Also, how large will this group be that your with? What about supply distribution? What about other groups who have the same idea? You might as well herd a flock of Geese; it will be a lot easier than herding a large group of civilians.

If I was you, in that situation, I'd be hitting the warehouses. You know, the ones that stock the supplies for supermarkets? You'd be surprised how obscure a lot of these warehouses are, and how easily they're missed by a mob of looters. Just make sure you bring/find equipment such as heavy pliers as well as an assortment of basic survival essentials. Having a van helps, and keeping your group limited to only a few trusted people is wise rather than trying to help out everyone and everything which is what your plan seems to consist of.

After that, hit the country and find a good spot, isolated away from major roads and traffic. Just be sure to hit the petrol stations before hand and stock up on fuel, and have a siphon with you so you can transfer fuel from cars if need be. Spare wheels and that, essentially anything you will need if you break down. Setup somewhere, fortify it and secure it. After that, conduct raids/trips into outskirts of Urbanized area's, corner shops and low-traffic commercial area's for supplies. Avoid picking people up, they will only burden you and your supplies.

Of course, this is all completely useless if you don't have A: A vehicle and B: A map.

Don't know how to drive? Well you'll soon learn enough when your life is on the line. Considering you don't actually have to obey the law of the road anymore, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I also should add that if you can, make a trip to a library. Why? Well, your going to need to learn to survive on the land soon enough, as supplies will get harder and harder to find. Hit a library, stock up on luxary books and also essential books that will teach you the basics of surviving on land/wildlife/cooking and anything to do with construction. This is not just for you but for others in your group as well. Knowledge is a powerful tool and the only way you'll gain efficient knowledge is from another skilled person, or from a book.

That also brings me to my earlier point about picking up people; I did say don't do it, but, in some cases it might be wise to ask them what their profession is. Keep a keen eye on liar's... But you'll be able to catch them out easy enough later if their lying, but usually if they answer you straight away without a considerable delay its probably the truth. Professions you would need that are essential are doctors/nurses, military experience and anyone who is a carpenter/construction worker and someone who knows their agriculture. Anyone else isn't really worth taking on. If they don't have a profession you can always ask them if they know anything useful and see how long it takes for them to reply.

AND never take on pregnant women, as harsh as that sounds!

Well seeing that I am most definitely

the largest and strongest individual in

my zip code, and that New Jersey has 

extremely strict gun ownership laws...

I would have prior knowledge and confidence

that no one around where I live owns a gun,

or could possibly take me in a fight.

So I'd take shit from people that I would find

no use for... We are all looking out for 

ourselves... and if you are a useless individual

and can offer nothing to a rebuilding society...

you are going down. I work with the developmentally

disabled and would probably loot their group homes

knowing that legally they have to have food, water, and

emergency supplies stocked for retarded people.

Being in your mid 20's and in supreme physical

condition allows me to think like this. If i was someone

who needed to rely on other skill-sets, I would most

likely have a very different strategy. I am not one

of those doomsday preppers you see on tv... i'm

the type of guy they are worried about. Of course,

I'm not looking to take over the world after the end

of it... I'm just looking to live comfortably, safely, and

happily throughout the rest of my days. So to reiterate:

My Plan-

- Bust some ass. (Be faster, stronger, and tougher than the opponent. Fights are won and lost before they've even begun.)

- Only the strongest survive (mentally, physically, and emotionally.)

- Take from people who cannot defend themselves and are useless, (They will cause more harm then good in the end,)

- Endure on a property in the woods and on high ground. (Tons near me)

- Use my knowledge of basic survival, farming, carpentry, and engineering to STAY ALIVE. (Cause that's what we're talking about... RIGHT?)

Hope you're not offended, and hope you're not unarmed if the time comes... cause I'll be around. ;)

Well seeing that I am most definitely

the largest and strongest individual in

my zip code, and that New Jersey has 

extremely strict gun ownership laws...

I would have prior knowledge and confidence

that no one around where I live owns a gun,

or could possibly take me in a fight.

So I'd take shit from people that I would find

no use for... We are all looking out for 

ourselves... and if you are a useless individual

and can offer nothing to a rebuilding society...

you are going down. I work with the developmentally

disabled and would probably loot their group homes

knowing that legally they have to have food, water, and

emergency supplies stocked for retarded people.

Being in your mid 20's and in supreme physical

condition allows me to think like this. If i was someone

who needed to rely on other skill-sets, I would most

likely have a very different strategy. I am not one

of those doomsday preppers you see on tv... i'm

the type of guy they are worried about. Of course,

I'm not looking to take over the world after the end

of it... I'm just looking to live comfortably, safely, and

happily throughout the rest of my days. So to reiterate:

My Plan-

- Bust some ass. (Be faster, stronger, and tougher than the opponent. Fights are won and lost before they've even begun.)

- Only the strongest survive (mentally, physically, and emotionally.)

- Take from people who cannot defend themselves and are useless, (They will cause more harm then good in the end,)

- Endure on a property in the woods and on high ground. (Tons near me)

- Use my knowledge of basic survival, farming, carpentry, and engineering to STAY ALIVE. (Cause that's what we're talking about... RIGHT?)

Hope you're not offended, and hope you're not unarmed if the time comes... cause I'll be around. ;)

I'm pretty sure you will be the first one to get shot at if someone had got himself a gun illegally :P

But yes, reading up from your reply I would imagine being really creeped out around you. It's good that in Russia you don't have 'strict' gun laws, so the whole "I'm fucking ripped bro, I lift" attitude can be nullified once your opponent owns AKM and can shoot your ass.

I'm pretty sure you will be the first one to get shot at if someone had got himself a gun illegally :P

But yes, reading up from your reply I would imagine being really creeped out around you. It's good that in Russia you don't have 'strict' gun laws, so the whole "I'm fucking ripped bro, I lift" attitude can be nullified once your opponent owns AKM and can shoot your ass.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah I'm a nice guy... and any attitude assumed of me is false... I'm no jersey guido 

who practices gym, tan, laundry. Just a normal guy, working a normal job, talking

about an abnormal subject of what we would do if the world went to shit. Let's

not be personal about anything... right? Everybody love everybody.. ever see

Semi-pro with Will Farrell? That's a good movie right there mm hmm. 

On a normal everyday basis, you and I would get along just fine, and more

than likely even better now that I know you have guns... Cause I'm no dummy.

I ain't bringing a knife to a gun fight... i'm bringing some liquor and a peace pipe.

Anyway I don't want to get off subject any more than I already have. I think honestly

my chance of survival given my current health status, living situation, geographical

location, and prior knowledge would put me at a great advantage if the time would 

comes. If lived somewhere else, was a different person, I would say differently.

I currently live just outside of a major city so first things first grab my G.O. O.D kit (Get Out Of Dodge) that includes spare set of clothes, two extra sets of socks, box of 9mm rounds, Glock 9, fishing line and set of lures, mobile water purifier kit, 2 gallons of water, pup tent, four season sleeping bag, toiletries (tooth brush, bar soap etc.), batteries, flashlight, crank radio, fire starting equipment, and some stuff im forgetting. This would be added to my box of KNOWLEDGE! its a second backpack with books on everything from primitative farming, combat medicine, basic mechanics, trapping and hunting and everything inbetween. Also need my handy "walking stick" 4in thick solid aluminum rod that is sharpened to a point at one end. Then i load this all into the Jeep grab the dog and the wife (she also has a G.O.O.D kit and the dog has a version of his own that fits on his back) As well as the two bikes and the bike trailer. We then head South West until we either run out of gas or roads become impassable then we switch to the bikes. Final destination is Mississippi were i have family in the middle of 170 acres of wooded forest that live off the grid supplying their own power and water.

For whoever replied (I honestly can't force myself to scroll up right now and quote him, sorry :/) that my "plan" was mostly built upon hoping for cooperation and people around me.

I want to say that I've been living wherever I live right now for 18 years, and whoever I know as a neightbor spent almost the same amount of time to get to know my family, and likewise. We've spent a lot of time helping each other out, whether it's carrying furniture out as a trash or just simply place some mosquito fence on windows, we were always there to help each other, and if I wouldn't rely on neightbor's help of securing our porch, then straight to hell goes my hope to survive at all.

Also, I was writing all of this on the go, as if I was "suddenly thrown into apocalypse, what would I do?". Unlike all of you freaky freakos who is prepared for apocalypse, in my case I do not rest a chainsaw in the basement, or own a super survival kit bag. I am sharing my idea of what I'd probably do with all of you, so don't take it as anything serious. After all, there is a chance zombie apocalypse would never happend. But some thinking never hurt.

I've got a couple of ideas of where I'd travel next after first step (Which is OP), I'll soon share them here :P

For whoever replied (I honestly can't force myself to scroll up right now and quote him, sorry :/) that my "plan" was mostly built upon hoping for cooperation and people around me.

I want to say that I've been living wherever I live right now for 18 years, and whoever I know as a neightbor spent almost the same amount of time to get to know my family, and likewise. We've spent a lot of time helping each other out, whether it's carrying furniture out as a trash or just simply place some mosquito fence on windows, we were always there to help each other, and if I wouldn't rely on neightbor's help of securing our porch, then straight to hell goes my hope to survive at all.

Also, I was writing all of this on the go, as if I was "suddenly thrown into apocalypse, what would I do?". Unlike all of you freaky freakos who is prepared for apocalypse, in my case I do not rest a chainsaw in the basement, or own a super survival kit bag. I am sharing my idea of what I'd probably do with all of you, so don't take it as anything serious. After all, there is a chance zombie apocalypse would never happend. But some thinking never hurt.

I've got a couple of ideas of where I'd travel next after first step (Which is OP), I'll soon share them here :P

I have neighbors that have been there for years.

I'd still kill them if they had shit I needed. Same goes for anyone else if I can't find the shit myself.

People change during a survival situation. And if its going to involve a unrealistic scenario such as Zombies; expect the unexpected when it comes to your neighbors. People change, and they'll change even more when they realize that the world has just been turned upside down.