New beta version crashes on OS X when going into game

dida55

Question

12 answers to this question

updated post

Bump it again.

I dare you.

(Mu wah ha ha ha ha ha -- My laugh is an evil laugh.)

But really . . . if you're that unsure, purge the local files and reinstall the game. Alternatively, you can exist Steam entirely and restart. If there's a new update, it should update.

This is all assuming you've already gone into Properties then the Betas tab and set it to the community beta. Otherwise, there is no problem.

updated post

Bump it again.

I dare you.

(Mu wah ha ha ha ha ha -- My laugh is an evil laugh.)

But really . . . if you're that unsure, purge the local files and reinstall the game. Alternatively, you can exist Steam entirely and restart. If there's a new update, it should update.

This is all assuming you've already gone into Properties then the Betas tab and set it to the community beta. Otherwise, there is no problem.

I 'bumped' it, because I changed the title and the whole content of the post and didn't want to make a new thread, sorry ^^

And now...

I reinstalled...

PZ starts, I load into a game and get this error in console: 

2013.09.11. 18:28:29,939 [0x0-0x377377].com.projectzomboid: Invalid memory access of location 0x3d89b000 eip=0x97de7b4f

Then it shuts down.

I can't get it to update (the one with mouse wheel zoom, apparently, which is how I'm judging not having it) either.

I've exited Steam and restarted several times, and also run the "verify integrity" thing Steam seems to need to be whacked with when it acts up.

Though for some reason, messing about at random gave me "shaders" in Options all of a sudden (I presume a mistake)!

Is the update still "there" to be downloaded, can someone confirm?

I can't get it to update (the one with mouse wheel zoom, apparently, which is how I'm judging not having it) either.

I've exited Steam and restarted several times, and also run the "verify integrity" thing Steam seems to need to be whacked with when it acts up.

Though for some reason, messing about at random gave me "shaders" in Options all of a sudden (I presume a mistake)!

Yeah, reinstall the game, unless you are on OS X, because the new update will break it then.

Yeah, reinstall the game, unless you are on OS X, because the new update will break it then.

Reinstall... by redownloading another 250mb? :(

Damn you, Steam! :mad:  This is why that platform annoys me so ("yeah, of course I wanted you to download a 1gb patch for a random game without asking!"). It's really not friendly for folks with slow connections or download limitations.

But if it means the new update... will try deleting and redownloading now. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: It worked. At least, I have mouse wheel zoom now (zoom looks pretty cool!). Had to redownload the whole game, then close Steam, then reopen and turn on Betas (again, turned off by redownloading I presume). Close and restart. Downloaded another 400kb or so update. Started the game (new save) and have mouse zoom. Phew!

One more thing: 

Normally, this is what I get just before loading into the game:

2013.09.11. 20:09:56,179 [0x0-0x3aa3aa].com.projectzomboid: Created object cube of size 100x100x16 (640000 bytes)

And this is what I get when it crashes:

Sep 11 20:05:45 User-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x3a63a6].com.projectzomboid[5080]: Created object cube of size 70x70x16 (313600 bytes)

Idk if it has to do something with it or not.

One more thing: 

2013.09.11. 20:09:56,179 [0x0-0x3aa3aa].com.projectzomboid: Created object cube of size 100x100x16 (640000 bytes)

Sep 11 20:05:45 User-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x3a63a6].com.projectzomboid[5080]: Created object cube of size 70x70x16 (313600 bytes)

That's normal.

One more thing: 

That's normal.

Okay, it's the memory thing then :(

When a JVM starts crashing like that, it is a sign that something has broken the JVM's execution model.

Does your application include any native code? Does it use any 3rd-party libraries with native code components? If neither is true, then the chances are that this is a bug in the Apple port of the JVM. It could be a JIT compiler bug, or a bug in some JVM native code library.

What can you do about a bug like that?

Not a lot.

• Reduce your application by progressively chopping out bits until you have a small testcase that exhibits the problem.
  • Based on the testcase, see if there's some empirical way to avoid the problem.
  • Submit a bug report to Apple with the testcase.

Quotation from Stackoverflow

Archived