Hot/Cold Intolerance

Xeonyx

Random quick suggestion, two other negative traits should be added:

Heat Intolerance - More susceptable to hot temperatures and heat

Cold Intolerance - Moer susceptable to cold temperatures and chill

I have a heat intolerance myself, I prefer to be cold, because at least I can just put a sweater on...

Random quick suggestion, two other negative traits should be added:

Heat Intolerance - More susceptable to hot temperatures and heat

Cold Intolerance - Moer susceptable to cold temperatures and chill

I have a heat intolerance myself, I prefer to be cold, because at least I can just put a sweater on...

good idea. and i seem to be a mix of tolerance. since in Nevada is a hot cold desert. i can bear blazing temps in summer and freezing temps in the winter. but i always prefer the warmth. but not when it is humid. dry heat is nice.

If your idea is that fat keeps you warm... Nah. It requires a particular kind of fat cells to get this effect. I'd say you'll get the opposite : being overweight requires more efforts for the same movements therefore making you less tolerant to heat.

Then, from a game play perspective, maybe these would be too many drawbacks for this trait. I dunno.

If your idea is that fat keeps you warm... Nah. It requires a particular kind of fat cells to get this effect. I'd say you'll get the opposite : being overweight requires more efforts for the same movements therefore making you less tolerant to heat.

Then, from a game play perspective, maybe these would be too many drawbacks for this trait. I dunno.

Shouldn't we get Cold Resistance from getting the Over-weight or Obese Trait (and also the Stout trait?)

The ability to have the right body heat in humans does more often have to do with tallness, not body-fat. Taller people are more susceptible to cold weather and short people have a small resistance to cold. That's why many people with an african (Hot for those of you that don't know :P) decent is tall (and very good at basketball) an all the Eskimos are short and stout.

I'm pretty sure I didn't pull that out of my ass...

You didn't: it's a body weight to surface ratio problem. Body weight = heat production, surface = heat loss. That's why you don't see mice in Arctic (small animals have low BW/S ratio, hence are very susceptible to cold) and why elephants need big ears (it lowers their ratio by adding surface to vent out excess heat). The average tall African and average stocky Inuit (Eskimo is a derogatory in some countries, not in others, that's confusing) will have around the same weight, but the Inuit will have less skin surface for heat exchange.

That was the minute of science you didn't expect (or want :P).

You didn't: it's a body weight to surface ratio problem. Body weight = heat production, surface = heat loss. That's why you don't see mice in Arctic (small animals have low BW/S ratio, hence are very susceptible to cold) and why elephants need big ears (it lowers their ratio by adding surface to vent out excess heat). The average tall African and average stocky Inuit (Eskimo is a derogatory in some countries, not in others, that's confusing) will have around the same weight, but the Inuit will have less skin surface for heat exchange.

That was the minute of science you didn't expect (or want :P).

well still, it wouldn't have an effect on any of the other traits.

I admit this was a purely scientific digression. On the video game side I don't think W/S ratio should be taken into consideration: more complex rules mean more time spent on char creation and more chances of min-maxed characters. Not to mention that if we want to nitpick on every little aspect of "this is not scientifically accurate", we should stop playing a game that has zombies in it ;)

I admit this was a purely scientific digression. On the video game side I don't think W/S ratio should be taken into consideration: more complex rules mean more time spent on char creation and more chances of min-maxed characters. Not to mention that if we want to nitpick on every little aspect of "this is not scientifically accurate", we should stop playing a game that has zombies in it ;)

great job. because science is totally fight off zombies in the 80's. just kidding but still nice quote there.