Windows 10

Spracky

Lot of weird anti-windows 10 stuff floating around at the moment, even though the argument they are trying to make is a bit suspect.

Yeah, I'm really unsure about the whole situation.

On one hand, it's free, seemingly more functional than Windows 7, and looks pretty.

On the other hand, it apparently collects everything about you (passwords, email contents, sites you visit, etc), there's speculation that Windows 10 updates might be paid, Microsoft might manage to screw it up somewhere as we still don't trust them after the Xbox One launch and Windows 8, and it's a new OS so there's going to be lots of bugs and incompatibilities.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of weird anti-windows 10 stuff floating around at the moment, even though the argument they are trying to make is a bit suspect.

Yeah, I'm really unsure about the whole situation.

On one hand, it's free, seemingly more functional than Windows 7, and looks pretty.

On the other hand, it apparently collects everything about you (passwords, email contents, sites you visit, etc), there's speculation that Windows 10 updates might be paid, Microsoft might manage to screw it up somewhere as we still don't trust them after the Xbox One launch and Windows 8, and it's a new OS so there's going to be lots of bugs and incompatibilities.

I don't think the skepticism is bad in itself, and I think people have plenty of reasons to distrust or not move to Windows 10, but there seems to be a subset who are deliberately trying to give people an incorrect idea of what Windows 10 is doing, to feed hate. I mean I don't mind people disliking an OS for what's there (the privacy stuff is pretty bad at the moment, but some of the worst stuff can be circumvented) I just don't like people spreading misinformation.

and they said, the home version will be free for an unlimited time for private persons including all the updates, service packs and necessary stuff you need to be fine.

i don't need the most stuff of windows anyway because i use my own software. it's just the os, and aslong it's fast, save and handy, we're cool.

and they said, the home version will be free for an unlimited time for private persons including all the updates, service packs and necessary stuff you need to be fine.

i don't need the most stuff of windows anyway because i use my own software. it's just the os, and aslong it's fast, save and handy, we're cool.

Wait what I WAS NEVER TOLD IT WAS FREE

Wait what I WAS NEVER TOLD IT WAS FREE

please don't missunderstand me - to clarify, you'll get the option to update for free for a limited time, but when you update, you'll get all the necessary stuff you need which comes along with the home version for free for an unlimited time (or at least as long as win10 is supported).

in a ~year, the offer ends and everyone has to buy it from there, but will also get all the necessary updates for free for lifetime like it was/is with win7, win8 and so on .... . but sure, there will be a day when they stop supporting the os like win xp.

Just make sure you download your graphics drivers from some place other than Windows Update.

thank you for the advice. notebook is about 2 month old - got a geforce gtx 960m inside, new driveras are available as it tolds me =)

looks like i'm done in a few minutes - there wasn't much data at it's harddrive, just the os and steam.

Just make sure you download your graphics drivers from some place other than Windows Update.

thank you for the advice. notebook is about 2 month old - got a geforce gtx 960m inside, new driveras are available as it tolds me =)

looks like i'm done in a few minutes - there wasn't much data at it's harddrive, just the os and steam.

Quappa, i went out for lunch and strange things happen - it says it can't be installed on my notebook :P

second attempt was fine.

installation at my desktop is also different. it says, there isn't enough free space on my 256 ssd because win7 only created a 100mb temp drive instead of a 350mb drive. so i changed my partitions and update is running now - i'm looking forward what will happen next =)

Windows 10, again not very good. MUCH better then Win 8 but still not good for me. I want an Computer, not an Smard Phone Computer mutant. For me its like call of duty, lets say windows 8 is Ghosts and 10 is advanced warfire, many dont like either of these, but many say aw is better.

. notebook is about 2 month old - got a geforce gtx 960m inside, new driveras are available as it tolds me =)

A GTX 960m in a NOTEBOOK?!

Holy shit, how? My old laptop (used Alienware M15x) had a GTX 260m, and if you look up a picture of it you can see it's huge.

. notebook is about 2 month old - got a geforce gtx 960m inside, new driveras are available as it tolds me =)

Holy shit, how? My old laptop (used Alienware M15x) had a GTX 260m, and if you look up a picture of it you can see it's huge.

yes, it's really fast. costs about 989€ in germany with a different hdd.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U7EN06U

yes, it's really fast. costs about 989€ in germany with a different hdd.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U7EN06U

It is pretty hefty, at 4kg it's a little over 5 times the weight of mine.

Mind you, it's probably about 50x more powerful!  :P

I was just this morning reading about laptop recommendations, and weight ends up being a larger deciding factor than you'd think. Carrying around all that extra weight can be a bit of a drag (no pun intended!) if you're on the move with it all day.

Back on topic though, mine at least had the decency to give me a big warning to check the driver compatibility with Win10 before upgrading for free. Not that I'm planning to any time soon... Don't fix what ain't broke, and all that.

You do realize the 'm' stands for mobile don't you? It would only be surprising if it wasn't in a laptop. It is significantly slower than the 'actual' 960 (It's desktop counterpart).